shaky steering wheel clunking noise help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > shaky steering wheel clunking noise help!

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Kristina01

shaky steering wheel clunking noise help!

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I just had the tires replaced and found out that I have broken sway bar link on the passenger side. I also have an issue I can't place. Recently there has been a knocking sound when i turn either left or right. Now no matter what way I turn even in reverse my steering wheel shimmies and looks like its trying to drive itself and the wheels make that knocking sound even worse. Please help!

Kristina01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Well, since you didn't say, have you checked/retorqued your wheels? These guys at the tire stores I've had them strip studs and nuts nefore using their impacts installing rims.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Kristina01

the clunking started before i had my tires changed. today i went over a speed bump and yes i went slow, turned onto a road way and my front driver side wheel popped very loudly. im getting ready to call my mechanic to look at it but if i can find a reason before i call them i can save myself some money
Kristina01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Red Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Could be an axle u-joint.
Red Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Ok, from your first post I thought the problem started after you had the tires replaced. Several suspects to look at. Trackbar, control arm bushings, and/or ball joints can cause the symptoms you describe.

Also, do you have 4WD, and if so, is it Command Trac or Select Trac? If it's Command Trac and you have it in 4hi or 4lo, or Select Track and have it in 4 part time it can cause those problems too on hard surfaces.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check the trac bar. Sounds like death wobble
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I would get it to a front end shop and have them check it out. Sounds like ball joints, it also sounds dangerous
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #8
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing ball joints or wheel bearings. A broken u joint won't really cause wobble in the wheel if the bearing is good.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I meant to finish that. You can do a little troubleshooting if you have some jack stands and a jack. Lift the front end off the ground at the axle. To check the wheel bearings, take the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and pull to check for any play. Do the same at 3 and 9. If there is any play the bearing is bad. A bad wheel bearing seems to go slowly and get progressively worse. If that's not the issue, have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look for play in any of the steering joints and ball joints. You should be able to tell if any of them are bad. Hope this helps
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #10
jimmy_jimenez

Better check your steering linkage to have a safer ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.