Setting camber on front wheels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Setting camber on front wheels?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM   #1
possumwalk
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Setting camber on front wheels?

Can the camber be adjusted on the front wheels on our Jeeps(YJ). If so, how? The left wheel on mine is tilted in at the top (negative camber). I see no way to correct. TIA.

possumwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
ajmorell

No, you need offset balljoints to adjust the camber.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
possumwalk
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,ajmorell. I don't mean to sound like a dumba$$ on this,but I am. Could you please elaborate on this a little bit. Do I need to replace with stock ball joints? Does some one make "off set ball joints" in different angles? I like to,and in most cases am able,to do my own work. Would I be better off taking to a front end shop(God forbid) and let them do it? Thanks.
possumwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumwalk View Post
...The left wheel on mine is tilted in at the top (negative camber)...
Your Jeep is supposed to have a negative camber. Both sides should be the same. If your right and left wheels have a different amount of camber that you can see, you probably have a problem. I would start by looking at the right side to see why there is no negative camber. You might take it to a shop and have the camber measured so you really know what you have going on. Things like this can be hard to eyeball.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
possumwalk
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, mdm. From what I gather camber is not adjustable. The Chilton shop manual calls for 0 degrees on camber. I just got this YJ with 114,000 miles on it.( First Jeep) It has been treated like a Jeep. Maybe ball joints need replacing. As this seems like the way camber is affected. Has clearly visiable negative camber on left wheel and more tire wear on inside part of tire. With new hub assembly. Thanks for help. A work in progress.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.