Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

sets of 4

487 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tommudd 
#1 ·
Why do tire sales people want to sell tires in groups of 4. Shopping for new tires, I had to tell multiple places, multiple times that I want 5 so I have a full sized spare. One guy I had to tell 5 times. three times for the 3 different quotes he did up for me (2 tires, one tire 2 different sizes). Had to tell him again when he gave me the final, after we had talked logistics (such as when he would order them and when I'd bring my jeep by to have the tires installed. I also don't know if the 5th wheel will be here in time so I wanted to make sure having 4 installed, then bringing the spare around a different time would be a problem), then I had to call him back to order them after I choose the tire, and tell him again.

And it wasn't just that place. Everywhere I went wanted to sell me 4. Do people not rotate in their spares? My wife has a full time spare we rotate in. I thought everybody did.

#3 ·
Last place I stopped in the other day I told them 5 as well. He wrote up four then was trying to divide that price by 4 and add it in. After 15 minutes of him pounding on the computer I looked over did it all in my head and told him the price. He looked confused for another 3-4 minutes then finally gave me the quote, ....same price I had told him.
He stated that no one buys 5 tires any more there is no need to because no one gets flats ..............some of these guys need a lesson in sales

#4 ·
no one buys 5 tires any more there is no need to because no one gets flats
I would have had a hard time staying polite after that kind of idiocy. Between this and your other mention of Cooper dealers thinking that ordering ATW's is sorcery.... Isn't there a single competent tire dealer in your area? I can't believe the stupidity!

Just order online. The prices are usually better there anyway, and while the argument can usually be made to support local businesses, YOUR local businesses clearly do NOT deserve support.

#7 ·
Thats what I thought when I went to a couple of dealers that handled Coopers. Didn't think it was going to be a huge deal .
They have the AT3s in Coopers or can get in a day, but not the AT/Ws just doesn't seem right.
Going to check out a couple of other dealers tomorrow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.