Secret New Nokian tires with retractable studs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Secret New Nokian tires with retractable studs

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Secret New Nokian tires with retractable studs

Pardon the sensational title, but it seems to be necessary and the normal thing to get attention for a new product thread. Jazz hands!

Here's a tire break through in progress. Imagine a tire that has retractable studs. Retracted when not needed. When you need studs you push a button and studs stick out of the tread. When you don't need them, push the button again and studs retract again.

Sounds like sci fi, James Bond, or Speed Racer stuff doesn't it?

Nokian is working on developing this technology for real. See link below to Fox News article about it, and see

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...actable-studs/ While at the Fox News link watch the Nokian video that shows studs retracted, then stick out when button pushed.

Unread 03-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
unobtanium
2010 WK 

All it would lead to in a town like mine is a rash of people pushing other people's buttons, lol!
Unread 03-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice idea. Studs are actually worse for traction in some winter conditions given the advancements in rubber/tread technology we've had over the decades, but they're still useful in some situations. On-demand studs would be the way to go if it can be done. I doubt states that have outlawed studs would allow these since they're still studs, and they'd have to assume people would be using them improperly, so I won't ever get to play with them. Oh well, their non-studded tires are more than good enough for me.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How about rocket assist for extra go power when it's slick? That'd defrost the cars behind you too. So a win for them too.
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Did you see the Nokian video of studs moving in and out?
Unread 03-19-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Did you see the Nokian video of studs moving in and out?
Indeed. Fun fact: Nokian already has a sort of "shock absorber" technology in their studs that reduces noise and road damage vs regular fixed studs.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Indeed. Fun fact: Nokian already has a sort of "shock absorber" technology in their studs that reduces noise and road damage vs regular fixed studs.
Huh. I assume that would also allow the studs to last longer too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.