Secret new BFG AT/KO2s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Secret new BFG AT/KO2s

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Secret new BFG AT/KO2s

Check these out!!

Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The BFG team ran them in the Baja this past year for testing. They are strictly prototype as of now. You can hear more about them in one of Larry McCrae's Spyder News episodes on Poisonspyder.com He is one of the few to have driven with them on so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope the production version doesn't have those big honkin shoulder lugs.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Without them they wouldn't be much more than their current A/T. I personally don't like their current A/T nor do I like this one. On the other hand their KM2s are sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree on the KM2s. I'm getting a set to replace ATs on a Rubicon this Spring after the snow ends.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So those are AT's with shoulder lugs. Any idea what the rubber is? Krawler?
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The shoulder lug's are the best part of a tire. IMO looking at the tread design, Center tread looks more like the pro comp extreme a/t. Im curious though on how much weight has been added via more biting edges and a deeper tread void.
Unread 12-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm impressed with mr. Cooke getting these pics. Thanks!
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure to be the next over rated tire from BFG. Ive been disappointed in the KO, the KM, and the KM2. No way in hell will a set of these get anywhere near one of my vehicles.

It will take more than shoulder tread (AT's do not have lugs) to make a BFG all terrain worth buying.

Tire Rack will be blowing up with reviews of how great these things are. Here come the claims of 100k + miles, dig better than a Bogger, and stick to Ice better than chains.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
Sure to be the next over rated tire from BFG. Ive been disappointed in the KO, the KM, and the KM2. No way in hell will a set of these get anywhere near one of my vehicles.

It will take more than shoulder tread (AT's do not have lugs) to make a BFG all terrain worth buying.

Tire Rack will be blowing up with reviews of how great these things are. Here come the claims of 100k + miles, dig better than a Bogger, and stick to Ice better than chains.
And, then one guy who went through some clay one time about ten years ago will post his photo of how bad the BFG's do in the mud, even though they will turn out to be the highest rated choice, as BFG's always are.

PS, great job by the OP in getting the photos.
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post

People exaggerate both positively and negatively in their reviews especially on sites like Tirerack. I take their consumer surveys and reviews with a grain of salt. People who get all excited about their purchase, especially ones who pay for often-overpriced products like Michelin/BFG, want too badly to believe their purchase was a good one, so they'll either be in denial or sugarcoat their reviews of an imperfect tire. They may also be so ignorant and inexperienced regarding tires that their experience up to a given tire may have only been the worst of the worst tires; if Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's are all you've ever known and bought, and one day you buy some Goodyear Wrangler Radials or Firestone Transforce AT's, of course they're going to seem like a miracle, but they're still hardly the greatest tires out there.

People who have an especially bad experience with a tire, even if it's a freak occurrence or maybe even if it's not the tire's fault, like to freak-out and blame the tire for everything and completely bash the tire. It's just the nature of the imperfect human mind.

Irrational brand loyalty also colors surveys and reviews. I was helping a co-worker pick new tires for her car just last week, and she told me, "My mom told me to get Michelin because they're the best." First of all, which Michelins? They make lots of tires. Second of all, never mind because any Michelin tire available to your car is garbage compared to many other manufacturers' offerings. Her mother is yet another of MANY people blindly loyal to a company without even having a clear understanding of why, and that blind loyalty almost spread and lead to her daughter buying inferior, overpriced tires.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

SUCKERS.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My BFGs in Baja California

I know bigger lugs woudn't have done much for my high-center. But, the might have helped me in the mud earlier in the trip - these A/Ts really pack in the mud (like glue).

Laguna Salada - Mexicali Desert - Baja California, Mexico - November 2013

Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Elaborate on the KM2 death trap scenario for me.

They have little to no sipes so wet weather and snow/ice is white knuckle. They have open voids so they will not catch you from sliding sideways, No lateral bite. You look at the brake pedal and it will lock and send you ??

They are a tire that might be decent in the dry rocks, But a far cry from the krawler they tried to duplicate. Right out of the box they need sipes added to even have a chance.
I have ran a lot of tires and the km2 is by far the biggest hype tire behind the a/t.
To each their own, Some love them, Some hate them. But I can say they hold no candle to the MTZ or the MT/R K's in any element, Area or condition.
Unread 12-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ

They have little to no sipes so wet weather and snow/ice is white knuckle. They have open voids so they will not catch you from sliding sideways, No lateral bite. You look at the brake pedal and it will lock and send you ??

They are a tire that might be decent in the dry rocks, But a far cry from the krawler they tried to duplicate. Right out of the box they need sipes added to even have a chance.
I have ran a lot of tires and the km2 is by far the biggest hype tire behind the a/t.
To each their own, Some love them, Some hate them. But I can say they hold no candle to the MTZ or the MT/R K's in any element, Area or condition.
Good thing I don't live in the rainiest city in the country and good thing I didn't run these tires for years...it's also a good thing I've personally owned many types of tires and take Internet opinions with a grain of salt. MT/R's though are near the top of my list for the next M/T I would like to try, I'm glad you speak so highly of them.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.