Second set of wheels / tires for offroading? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-11-2016, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
gonzoflick
2012 WK 

Second set of wheels / tires for offroading?

First jeep first post! Coming from a mall crawling 4x2 F-150 (w/ 35" Trail Grapplers) that couldn't do much offroad. Just purchased a 2012 GC Overland 4x4 HEMI and can't WAIT to really start testing its capabilities. It has QL and 20" stock rims with the Fortera tires. They seem like they will be rather worthless offroad. I want to start wheeling, doing some basic mud runs, climbing and whatever I can get here in FL (which isnt much) but I am concerned about this stock setup.

I understand 20" wheels are not recommended offroad because of their thin sidewalls. Should I get another set of wheels for offroading, maybe 17" or something? Also what tires.. I really like the Nitto family and was considering 20" Terra Grapplers for my stock wheels, but the delima is that if I need to get new wheels anyways, should I just get Terra Grapplers that fit the SMALLER wheels, and then another thing is if I only plan on wheeling 1-2 times per month is it worth it to get the grapplers for my OffRoad wheels.

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get out there asap but want to do it as best I can. I have about $1000 to spend right away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 AM
CJ7nvrstk
Military Jeeper

1985 CJ7 

Welcome!

I have my street tires and wheeling tires. My DD are 285 Cooper AT3 on stock 16" wheels and my wheeling set up is 37" Toyo MT on Pro Comp 17" wheel.

I think you're on the right track for 17"ers as your wheeling wheels as opposed to wheeling on 20s! You might be able to pick up someone's stock take offs for dirt cheap then just get some good tires.

IMHO it is totally worth it to swap out to more street friendly for DD duties. If you do that, you can go aggressive as you want, so go ahead and go with the Grapplers if that what you want!

My wheeling set up.
Attached Images

RED Friday. Remember Everyone Deployed
45 MB, 67 Commando, 85 CJ, 08 JKU, 11 JKU
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 AM
CJ7nvrstk
Military Jeeper

1985 CJ7 

Street set up pic

Needless to say, mileage is a huge difference between the 2. You wheeling tires, which tend to be a good bit more expensive will last a whole lot longer as well. Then there is the comfort aspect to factor in too.
Attached Images

RED Friday. Remember Everyone Deployed
45 MB, 67 Commando, 85 CJ, 08 JKU, 11 JKU

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 AM
JeremyatKOR
WWW.KRAWLOFF-ROAD.COM

2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're going to wheel it that much then get a set of 17's and some good off-road tires. You would be better off with two sets since you're dd tires would be in good shape. Things happen off-road and tires can get damaged.

Jeremy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Want It? We Got It!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
though if you wheel much it gets to be a hassle to change them on and off and on again. especially if its a DD.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.