running directional tires backwards ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > running directional tires backwards ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-16-2007, 10:27 PM   #1
raider_man007

running directional tires backwards ??

I've heard if you have directional tires and run them backwards you get alot more traction. I would like to try this but I don't really want to load up the floor jack and rotate my tires at the beginning of the trail. My question is ....is it ok to drive with my tires backwards on the pavment. Does anyone run there tires like this all the time. I would think the tires would wear funny and would cause vibes.

tom woods cv driveshaft w/ sye
4 inch's of suspension lift
35x13.50 baja claws
raider_man007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No idea... However I figure they would design the tire tread in a way so that it would have the most traction rotating in the proper direction (forward)? You could test it out and let us know. Just watch the tread wear. You won't experience tire failure or anything if that's what you're worried about.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Unscathed
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know off hand, but it sure would suck if you had to back up and had no traction.

I know when I was running parrelli tires on my Blazer, they were direction tires.. and the dumbarse tire shop put them on backwards and I was sliding all over cause it messed with my traction.. SPECIALLY when it rained.

Not sure if you are going to get alot of posts on this question... companies make directional tires for one reason.. to get better tracktion in one direction.. lol

The owner of Alljeep.com, Wayne Hartwig will work within your budget!!! He is very informative to anyone not knowing much about axle work and will meet or beat any competitor's advertised price on any specific product delivered to your door - even if he sells at cost!
Unscathed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
tcox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea they always say its a "good idea" or something like that on extreme 4x4. but who knows for sure. its seams like a good idea for the trail, but not so much for pavment
Unread 07-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
spittindurt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I run my boggers backwards every other rotation, but just to get even wear out of them. Normal rotation is rears strait forward and fronts X to the rear (rear wheel drive) but with my boggers I just run them all forwards and then run them all backwards. True looks goofy but they do wear a lot better this way.

As for the highway, reverse they are LOUDER if thats even possable (boggers...) decrease highway cruseing power/mpg and they dont clean as good in the mud but thats because they were designed to be run forwards.

A lot of people will run the rears faceing forwards and the fronts backwards so they have equal traction in reverse.

They also wont clear water out of the tread as well because the lugs will be forcing the water twords the center of the tire rather than out....

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]Chrome won't getcha home![/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
spittindurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #6
Medicjaycook

Running backwards

The whole reason for running them backwards from what I have read is you run your Fronts backward and rears in the tires normal direction. this gives you traction if you have to reverse. other then that I am not sure.
Medicjaycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #7
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

the direction of the tread affect braking too. on my R/C car i reversed the tires and got awsome traction forward...couldn't stop though. That little ba$tard sure could pop a wheely though.
Unread 07-17-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As far as I know, directional tires only work well in the direction they were designed for. When you run them backwards, they pack mud INTO the tread instead of clearing. One time that I got stuck bad, a guy with tractor tires pulled me out. He said he had to pull me out with his rear towpoint because if he tried in reverse using the front then he would have no traction.

I have also heard the theory that directional tires are designed so that you have more traction in reverse so you can back out of a stuck situation. My personal experiences show this not to be true.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
dirtbagofva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx531
As far as I know, directional tires only work well in the direction they were designed for. When you run them backwards, they pack mud INTO the tread instead of clearing. One time that I got stuck bad, a guy with tractor tires pulled me out. He said he had to pull me out with his rear towpoint because if he tried in reverse using the front then he would have no traction.

I have also heard the theory that directional tires are designed so that you have more traction in reverse so you can back out of a stuck situation. My personal experiences show this not to be true.
...the farmers i know prefer to pull things out in reverse...keeps the tractor from flipping
Unread 07-17-2007, 01:20 AM   #10
'B'wigstrailrig
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Probably make gas mileage worse
'B'wigstrailrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #11
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

WHOA!!!!!!!

You could run them backwards OFF road becuase you don't reach highspeeds... HOWEVER you don't want them backwards if you drive this Jeep on the street!
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #12
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I run them backwards on my rig!
Unread 07-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #13
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva
...the farmers i know prefer to pull things out in reverse...keeps the tractor from flipping
That's called tractor tipping.

Unread 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
cookeab
Flatlander

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagofva

My baja claws like being reversed in the mud.
cookeab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ive had it help only while running in the sand dunes.
It would try to pack the sand under the tire and not sink in so far.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.