Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rotate MTs more often than stock tires?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  WhatWasIThinkin 
#1 ·
I was told by my friend that since I have 32x11.5" MT tires that I should rotate them at every oil change because they will wear faster than normal tires. Is this true?

#2 ·
keys741 said:
I was told by my friend that since I have 32x11.5" MT tires that I should rotate them at every oil change because they will wear faster than normal tires. Is this true?
yeah every other oil change would be fine too

#3 ·
Well, I don't know if there's any truth to that or not, but I usually rotate mine whenever I do an oil change in either of our vehicles. I rotate mine about every 4,000 miles. It only takes a short time, and it's better to be safe than sorry. These tires are too expensive to replace any sooner than we already do!

Mel

#5 ·
The tire rotation schedule set by the factory is every 6000-7500 miles. Mudders should be rotated more often because they wear differently. So ya...every 3000 or so.

Rock On!

Steve

#9 ·
According to the manual it says to rotate front to rear, so thats what I've been doing. On my mom's car it say to zig zag, so I'm not sure what diffrence it makes either way. I mean if they are directionals I understand but if not, why does that manual specify front to back? I dunno, I just do it.

#10 · (Edited)
I rotate my spare in as well. Gets me 10-15,000 more miles on a set of tires! My last set went 63,000 before I replaced them! :thumbsup:

See the attached image. Of course this particular rotation only works if your tires are not directional.

Rock On!

Steve

Attachments

#12 ·
Remember hearing mumbo jumbo about the way you rotate is purposely a criss cross because of driving behavoir. They said that people make left turns harder then they do right, so it wears tires on the one side a bit more. By criss crossing its suppose to be better :confused: I dunno though, I'll stick to the front rear change.

#13 ·
Tyler Dirden said:
Don't think it matters which way you rotate anymore, only that you do it the same way every time after that. I do 5-tire, clock-wise. My tires are wearing fine, and they run smooth and quiet.
just wanted to bring this one back for a bit...

I'd always heard the diagonal rotation...but, if I want to rotate in my spare (since it's the first vehicle I've had with a full-size spare that wasn't a pain to get to) to get more miles...would it really matter?

after 5 rotations, or 15,000 miles (assuming I do it with each oil change) every tire would have been at every position...

running 33x12.50x15 BFG A/T's...

Greg

#14 ·
Wouldn't matter at all, provided you rotate the same way every time. Heck, I'll even go out on a limb and say that if you wanted to mix it up, you could change your rotation every 6th time...

Anyone have a reason that would be bad? (not that it's necessary, just that it's possible)

#15 ·
Here's a vote for a 5 tire rotation counter-clockwise every 3,000.

thephantum- What kind of tires were those?

#16 ·
EDM0656 said:
thanks...now I just have to figure out a way to remember whether I got "counter-clockwise" or "clockwise"...

maybe I'll just etch it onto the mounting plate on the rear tire carrier with my engraver (then spray it black so it won't rust), so when I pull the spare off, I can see where to move it to...that would be a good place to start each time...

Greg

#17 ·
EDM0656 said:
I do the same. My MT/R's are still looking good after 3 rotations :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.