They are pretty impressive wheels, DOT approved and can be ran at low low pressures without worry of losing a bead. I considered the Walker Evans but really like the look of the Rock Monsters and the fact that they were a DOT approved double bead lock. I was told that they are available in 3 finishes - I considered going with black but in the end decided to go with the silver. I liked the fact I could mount the tires myself, I also decided to try out dyna beads to avoid the stuck on weights. Assuming they work, it will end up costing less than to have them balanced in a tire shop.
I went with the Mickey Thompson MTZ tires - they have been rated well as a general purpose tire. The cost was similar to the Good Year MTR and BFG KM2 which were the other two I was looking at. In the end, these were not on back order like the MTR and I liked the looks better than the KM2.
I took several photos during the process which should demonstrate how they go together and work to anyone that does not understand double beadlocks.
Each wheel comes well packed in a padded box. Here it is as it looks put together - each tire bead is pinched between the rubber bead lock and the wheel lip.
Here are all the parts:
The first step is to insert the bead lock - very easy if done the right way which is to squeeze the beadlock, insert into the tire and then turn sideways. After the bead lock was in the tire I pushed it aside and poured in the dyna beads.
Next the beadlock is centered into the tire.
I decided to go with black letters out. Here the back portion of the wheel is inserted into the tire. This was one of the toughest parts. It is a VERY tight fit and would take about 30 minutes or so each to get this to go down into the tire. I would stand on the wheel and use a rubber mallet to slowly work it into the tire.
Once all the way in, I would turn over the tire being careful not to spill any of the dyna beads out.
After that, a rubber o ring is inserted into a track on the back wheel portion where the two halves meet. As suggested, I used a dab of vaseline in three spots to keep the o ring in place. When working the front of the wheel into place, this o ring would probably come out if not for the vaseline.
Like the back side, the front was also difficult because of the tight fit. One tire was more difficult than the others for some reason. Also like the back, I would stand on the wheel half and work it into place. There are threaded studs mounted to the back side with three longer ones. The longer ones are needed so nuts can be put on and allow the two halves to be brought closer together.
The nuts are very interesting. They seem to be teflon coated and are some sort of locking nut. they are a two piece nut and have small notches that fit together.