Rock Crawling Tires: Which are best for the rocks? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Rock Crawling Tires: Which are best for the rocks?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

View Poll Results: Which Tire is Best for Rock Crawling?
Maxxis Creepy Crawler 11 34.38%
Goodyear MT/R 10 31.25%
Interco IROK 5 15.63%
Other (fill in the blank) 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 11-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Rock Crawling Tires: Which are best for the rocks?

Please vote for the tire you think would be best suited for rock crawling

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Red_Smoke
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where's the Krawler?
2008 Rubi Unlimited: Gone!
Smashin' Punkin - 06 Rubi LJ, Cummins QSB3.3, work in progress
IndyORV
Red_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Actually, I should have included the KM2 as well...I'm groggy... That's why I have the "other" as an option.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Unread 11-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I saw the *****ing thread over in the JK forum. You can't really compare these tires and I think that is what the other dude you were arguing with was getting at. The MT/R comes stock on some Jeeps and you will never see either of the others on any stock vehicle. MT/R's are soft street tires that apparently work VERY well on rocks. EriksXJ has a crazy built Cherokee that he only uses on the rocks, not even on the street I don't think, and he runs 35" MT/R's. I don't see anyone getting away with more than 10k miles or so on the street with a set of creepy crawlers.

Bottom line is, for a street tire, the MT/R is probably the best rock tires you'll find. Save the others for pure trail rigs.

Oh, and I don't see Pitbull Rockers on that poll anywhere, nor BFG Krawlers. There are a ton of non-streetable rock tires out there.
Unread 11-04-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went with the Creepy Crawlers after I couldn't find any Krawlers when BFG took a long break in the mfg of Krawlers to make KM2s for the military. Very glad I did, the Crawlers stick like glue from the sandstone in New Mexico and Utah to the granite rocks on the Rubicon and central CO trails.

They're pricy, soft and heavy but for a trail rig I'm very happy, I doubt they'll last 20k if used on a DD. From what I've seen they grip better than the MTRs on a friends similarly equipped LJ but as with any evaluation it's hard to tell for sure due to differences between rigs and drivers.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
TellicoTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TSL Swampers.
2.5 Liter club memer #169-Red Jeep Club meber #491
Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremy93yj To coax out the poop, try rocking back and forth. If that doesn't work, try rocking side to side. Hold your cheeks apart with your hands while you push and scream at the top of your lungs. I also like to put my feet up on the wall and push against the toilet. Another way is to sit on the pot, reach down and grip the bowl with both hands, and push against the floor with your feet.
TellicoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

This thread/question is useless unless each person has actually tried all the tires in the list. If not, it's just a popularity question, whose got the best marketing, best pricing question. Also, the best tire for a trail-only rock crawler is not the same answer as for a DD rock crawler.
Unread 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
This thread/question is useless unless each person has actually tried all the tires in the list. If not, it's just a popularity question, whose got the best marketing, best pricing question. Also, the best tire for a trail-only rock crawler is not the same answer as for a DD rock crawler.
Exactly. OP just got butt hurt in another thread for some reason because someone said MT/R's were the best tires for rocks. They were talking about tires to put on a JK as a road worthy vehicle. The OP is just trying to prove himself right in a stupid argument that he seems to know nothing about in the first place.
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Exactly. OP just got butt hurt in another thread for some reason because someone said MT/R's were the best tires for rocks. They were talking about tires to put on a JK as a road worthy vehicle. The OP is just trying to prove himself right in a stupid argument that he seems to know nothing about in the first place.
I didn't get my feelings hurt, I want to know other people's opinions

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
That explains a couple of the comments

There is some merit to the fact that this thread is worthless but weeks of wheeling with very similar rigs among my wheeling buddies can give some valid data. Most have 2 lockers, all are TJ/LJs and all run 3.5"-4" lifts/1"-1.25" BLs and 35" tires. There is a clear pattern, those with combo' rigs seem to prefer the MTR with the BFG KM/KM2 as a close second. For those of us that don't really DD out rigs it's the BFG Krawler or Maxxis Crawler hands down. These do perform better in rocks no question but the on-road manners make them impractical for most rigs and the prices vs wear completely eliminate them from DD use IMO.

If I had to use my Jeep to get around every day, based on what I've seen, it would be a tough choice between the KM2 and MTR, with the KM2 as a probable winner due to the similarity to the Krawler.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
I didn't get my feelings hurt, I want to know other people's opinions
... and the point we make is it's useless to ask as there are too many variables involved to come up with one answer. The question is way more complicated than you make it out to be. You would be better off just Googling "off-road tire reviews" or something, or find some mag articles with reviews. I could answer based upon my years of using 6 or so different tire types, but I only had one at a time, and what I know of tire #1 is old news now.

Think about your question. If there was one answer, there would be only one tire. We get the same sort of question about lift kits. How many folks have more than one at a time?

Last edited by JeeperDon; 11-04-2008 at 12:25 PM..
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
flexytj79
2001 TJ Wrangler 

maxxis trepadors ( bias ply )
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawless View Post
This should be interesting. Aussies always come up with the best stories.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon 05 LJ View Post
Better yet, why are you looking at the hook??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1500dodge View Post
shes cute an all, but man, if my hook looked like that hook, id never let it out of my sight.
flexytj79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Lbriant

I think all forums you can take good info from (in between all the complaining) There isn't a stupid question, people acquire as much info as they can from all the posts and use that to obtain there best answer? I am running Mt on my Rubicon seem to work alright spent the winter in AZ climbing in the mountains and allot of sharp rocks Noticed one 1 1/2 in cut on my side wall (but never lost air) its on for a spare now, I am also looking to replace my tires and looking for something Bullet proof .) those thorns down there are nasty, never got a flat but I don't know how, I use to run BFG on my 4x4 truck then the price went up so I switched to MT good tire but the wore down twice as fast on the road?
So I am watching for what tire would be good for me, I tow 1,600 down there then its almost all wheeling, I will research some of the above mentioned tires and think about getting a set for AZ this winter, Mostly rock climbing and driving the washes,
2011-12-15_14-30-53_907.jpg  

Last edited by Lbriant; 07-30-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Lbriant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbriant View Post
There isn't a stupid question
Sure there is, they ask them all the time on the Fox News polls. Dude, this is a 4 yr old dumb thread. Oh, and make your photo smaller, big is just rude. No one needs a photo of your truck to assess tires anyway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.