Rim Rust Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Rim Rust Removal

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
SquadStep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Rim Rust Removal

I have quite significant rim rust on my Cragar Soft 8's so I decided I would try to paint them after removing all of the rust. I broke out my dremel and threw on the small wire wheel attachment and low and behold it ate up the rust and brought out a brand new-like shine. I plan on using a little wax to prevent further rust issues.

The only down side I have come across is that removing a fair amount of rust is tedious, to say the least, with a tiny 3/4" wire wheel. I also wore down the whole wire wheel to nothing after doing only one rim. I was wondering if anyone has tried the larger full size drill bit wire wheel to do the same thing. I am concerned it will not be quite as delicate and mar the chrome finish of my rims.

SquadStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
maddognsc

I used electrolysis

I had the same issue. Got a big tub and filled it with water. Dumped a bunch of baking powerder in. Hooked up a battery charger to the wheel and let it go for about 4 hours. Then just hit it with a wire brush hooked up to a regular drill and it cleaned them up in 5 minutes. Painted them with Rustolium and they look fantastic.

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

Maddognsc
maddognsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
SquadStep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ended up going with Naval Jelly this time. I really wish I got before and after close ups but I don't. It worked like nothing I've ever seen before. The bottle of the Naval Jelly said not to use it on chrome but I figured if it turned out that bad, I'd be repainting them anyways. The stuff did not damage the wheels at all. These rims look brand new and it took me only half an hour or so to remove heavy rust from all 4 wheels. I couldn't be more impressed with how it worked. I was amazed. I highly recommend it. Just a small stiff bristled brush and some naval jelly is all you need.
SquadStep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.