Retread Tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Retread Tires

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 06-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
dkongkill

Retread Tires

Hey i have an XJ with a 3" lift and i wanted to get some 33's to go along with it. i saw some Retread ones for pretty cheap what are some of your thoughts on retread tires?

Thanks

dkongkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i guess it depends on where your getting them from but ive heard good stuff about treadwright, its of course not gonna be as good as regular tires and there is a risk of course but its rare to have problems from them and there usually fine from what ive heard...

edit: oh yippie happy 500 posts lol...
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Treadwrights are good... but i dont thenk they make a 33" for a 15" rim. Here are my 31's.

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

They make a 33" tire for a 16" rim, but they've discontinued the ones for 15" rims. Otherwise I'd highly recommend Treadwright.
[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
dkongkill

yeh i was thinking about getting these

285-75R16-WARDEN-A-T-(D) - Retread Tires from TreadWright, Inc.

33's with that take a 16" rim
dkongkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #6
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ive heard horror storys from a friends dad.

My friends dads company used to use retreads on their trucks and he said every once and a while the rubber would shoot off of the tire..

IMO theyll never even be close to being as good as real tires.

I wouldnt buy them, waste of money.

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
Ive heard horror storys from a friends dad.

My friends dads company used to use retreads on their trucks and he said every once and a while the rubber would shoot off of the tire..

IMO theyll never even be close to being as good as real tires.

I wouldnt buy them, waste of money.
Do you have fist hand experience? I have personally gone through 2 sets and my brother and uncle another 2. There are a million threads on here about retreads for passenger vehicles. You should look them up. Retreads have MANY standards they have to comply with to become road worthy. They are 100% just as safe as any tire that you go buy. We are talking about a 1-2 ton jeep vs. 25 ton truck. They are constantly driving at highway speeds also. Please know what you are talking about before you lead people away from a perfectly good tire.

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

Unread 06-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Retreaded passenger car tires and retreaded truck tires are completely different, when you drive down the interstate do you see those tire parts all over that's because the tread separated. It's fairly common on big rigs because the tires they put on the trailers are retreaded because trailer owners are cheap and don't put new tires on because they are expensive so they find the cheapest retread they can put on and use it. As far as passenger tires go I have never heard of one separating, the only downside to retreaded tires is they don't recommend airing them down off road because it puts extra pressure on the bond that holds the tread to the body. If you don't air down off road they are just fine for your use.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
2doorxj

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
Do you have fist hand experience? I have personally gone through 2 sets and my brother and uncle another 2. There are a million threads on here about retreads for passenger vehicles. You should look them up. Retreads have MANY standards they have to comply with to become road worthy. They are 100% just as safe as any tire that you go buy. We are talking about a 1-2 ton jeep vs. 25 ton truck. They are constantly driving at highway speeds also. Please know what you are talking about before you lead people away from a perfectly good tire.
he drives a verizon truck..

so youre saying that retreads are as good as real tires?

2012 Cherokee of the Year
2doorxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
he drives a verizon truck..

so youre saying that retreads are as good as real tires?
If I had to choose between a new tire and a retread, of course I will choose the new tire. All I'm saying is everyone gives retreads a bad wrap when they are JUST as safe as a new tire. And for $80 a tire I really don't think you can go wrong. I have aired down on my tires multiple times with no ill effects.

-SOLD-

Unread 07-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

All you guys who run/have run retreads contribute to the poll!

Treadwright (retread) poll
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/t...-poll-1079518/
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.