Removing track bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Removing track bars

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 09-23-2001, 09:01 AM   #1
Brendan

Removing track bars

What does removing the track bars do? Does it decrease on road driving? Would you recomend it to a stock YJ driver? Should I throw away the track bars once i lift my rig?

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2001, 08:43 AM   #2
Pantera

FYI, I tossed my rear track bar and have had no ill effects... Of course it doesn't handle like a Porsche (but it didn't before either)...
Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2001, 08:31 AM   #3
damonejeep

What about removing the front track bar? Will this move create unsafe driving?
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2001, 10:44 AM   #4
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No, as long as you don't push the Jeep too hard. I have been driving my Jeep without the sway bar or either track bar since I lifted it almost a year ago. Aside from body lean and a tendency for the alignment to "wander", there have been no ill side effects.

And the improvement you get in articulation from dropping the track and sway bars is quite notable.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2001, 10:55 AM   #5
GREGDOG95YJ

NIGHTCLAW IS RIGHT. AS LONG AS YOU DONT TRY TO DRIVE LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL YOUR SHOULD BE FINE. I REMOVED BOTH OF MINE ABOUT A MONTH AGO AND IT DOES HELP IN THE FLEX DEPARTMENT. IT ACTUALLY HELP MY JEEP RIDE BETTER BY LETTING THE REAR SUSPENSION TRAVEL BETTER WHEN I HIT THE USUAL BUMPS ON THE DAILY DRIVE. I PUT QUICK DISCOS IN INSTEAD OF REMOVING IT ALTOGETHER MY WIFE DIDN'T LIKE THE BODY LEAN.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2001, 02:15 PM   #6
Rachi

what's a quick discos?
Rachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2001, 08:15 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick disconnects are for the swaybar. If you wheel, you need these.

As far as trac bars go, disconnect them off road for sure. If you don't, you will just destroy the mounts or the bolts if you wheel in twisty stuff.

On road, you'll never notice the rear one missing. Toss it.

On the front, you'll notice slower steering response with it off. I used to disconnect mine before a trail ride and reconnect it afterwards. I don't run with one in the front anymore at all.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.