Recommended mild lifts for Daily Driver YJ's? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Recommended mild lifts for Daily Driver YJ's?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 05-14-2001, 03:24 AM   #1
puretrouble

Recommended mild lifts for Daily Driver YJ's?

My '92 YJ is my daily driver, and I was considering a mild suspension lift which would emulate or better the stock ride while still giving clearance for slightly larger tires (30-31" max), and look a little more beefy doing it.

I was considering the OME 2.5-3" lift, though I can get the 2" superlift kit for less than half the cost (with shocks) from nattire.com.

The inch difference in lift doesn't bother me (though 3" is about as high as I would want to go).. what I'm most concerned about is the ride that each kit will give.

Is the finished ride of an OME kit worth it to spend the extra $400+, or will I get just as much out of the Superlift kit at half the cost? Ninety percent or more of what I do is highway driving.

Also, would I have to do any other major modifications due to such a mild lift, other than what the lift kit comes with to drop the necessary components and stuff?

This is my first jeep and I've only had it since October, so anyone out there willing to help a girl out with some advice would be greatly appreciated.

puretrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2001, 11:29 PM   #2
Dustin Maschino

from what ive heard, superlift is the best lift you can buy for everyday driving and slight off-roading (but be sure to get the soft-ride springs though), and as for modifications, the only thing i can think of is extended or new brake lines...
when it comes to tires, i wouldnt get anything with large lugs,not for highway use anyways..
Mickey Thompson Baja Belted are very wear resistant and they look cool as hell too...
Dustin Maschino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2001, 04:40 PM   #3
puretrouble

*nods* Okay, cool.

Next question: How bad of an idea would it be to lift the jeep with that 1.5-2" Superlift kit and remain on my BF Goodrich 225/75/15's until I get the rest of their life out of them?

As a college student, my funds are limited, so I'm trying to figure out a way to beef up my jeep a little at a time without dropping my entire savings into it at once. If I can put that mild lift on first, without entirely crippling the jeep by riding on those size tires with the 1.5-2" lift, then that'll let me space out my upgrades. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I have all of the money at once.
Unread 05-21-2001, 05:31 PM   #4
Mike86CJ7
1986 CJ7 

It's not going to hurt or damage anything by running with the smaller tires. The only drawback is that your Jeep may look a little goofy or awkward with all the space generated by the lift and the short tires. In addition, the shorter tires may not allow you to fully benefit from the lift. You'll have better clearance and flex, but you'll still be hindered by the shorter tires. I would still do the lift however. If your tires are in decent shape, you may be able to trade them in to a tire shop when you go with bigger tires. A freind of mine did this and got $45 bucks per tire with about 80-85% tread left. While it's not that much money, every little bit helps. Just my $.02
Unread 06-13-2001, 11:07 PM   #5
puretrouble

Okay, I've all but decided on the 3.5" Superlift with the soft riding springs. With that lift, I'll be going on bigger tires.. if I go to 32" or 33" BF Goodrich A/T KO's or M/T's, am I going to have to regear or get a SYE or anything else, or just the longer brake lines?
Unread 06-15-2001, 03:17 PM   #6
damonejeep

Puretrouble. I just read through your first question and the other responses. ANd I have to chuckle. I see the Jeep madness has gotten a hold on you. You went from a small lft and max 30" 31" tire. ANd now after reading and looking into the subject some more it is 3.5" lift and 32"-33" tires. Good for you. Welcome to the club. Along with this fever, for some strange reason your bank statments will show a steady decline in funds.
If you go with the Superlift, go with the soft ride springs. And for tires whoch are great off-road, on-road and in the wet, got wiht BFG AT's. They are, in mny book, the best all-terrain tire there is. And concerning your question about other mods after the lift, there are only some. Should extend the brake lines, lower the transmittion(comes with kit), and later you should put inca slip-yoke eliminator kit in to reduce drivetrain vibrations. Other than those, most of the stuff you need should be in the kit.
Happy hunting and let us know how the lift turns out.
94 4.0L YJ, 31x10.5 ProComp MT's, 3.5" BDS, lockers and 4:56 gears to come!
damonejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2001, 11:13 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a 3.5" Superlift long ago. Very good riding springs. But 32" tires are about as big as you can go with that setup. Add some body lift and you can fit in the 33s. Buy some decent shocks or you'll have wasted your money on decent springs.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2001, 04:40 PM   #8
batman

With 32' to 33' you will probably have to regear unless you don't want to use 5th gear, but you said you did highway driving so you will need new gears.
94 YJ 2.5L, 4" superlift, 33" Radial MT, wet okole seat covers, Sunrider soft top, front and rear light guards, billet grill, clarion cd player, 2-10" RF subs, soundbar, tb spacer. Thats all I can afford with school.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2001, 07:10 PM   #9
puretrouble

damonejeep: It wasn't so much that I *wanted* the bigger lift, as it was that I was considering it, and then I checked around locally (because I decided perhaps I couldn't do it myself), and the only people who install any lift other than ProComp were only offering to install the Superlift 3.5". If my only choices end up boiling down to a 2" ProComp lift or a 3.5" Superlift, and Superlift is the brand I had originally wanted.. then that's what I end up with.

Which kind of sucks, because I can get a really good 2" or a 3.5" BDS lift for pretty cheap, but not cheap enough to cover the insane costs local shops want to put it on for me. And it's just too hot here for me to fiddle with doing it myself (heat indexes over 110+), when I am already pretty sure I couldn't do it anyway.

osburn: As far as tire size, a 32" would be fine for me if I go with the 3.5" lift. In that event, I'm probably going to go with the BFGoodrich AT KO. I'm hoping the aftermarket rims on my jeep have enough backspacing to handle a tire that much wider than what's on it now, otherwise I'm going to have to budget in new rims as well.

For the shocks, I was considering the DT3000's- I've heard only good things about them. The 3.5" Superlift kit that I'd been looking at came with the superlift shocks.. so if I went with that lift, I'd probably use those unless they really rode poorly, in which case I'd switch them out for a set of DT3000's.

batman: I have an automatic transmission with a 4.0L 6Cyl engine. To what effect will there be a gearing issue/power loss in this situation? I drive on the interstate a lot, but also do a lot of in-city street driving.
Unread 07-11-2001, 12:13 AM   #10
rayray

puretrouble,
Just an FYI. I love the DT shocks offroad on my rig. However, if your interested in road comfort (God it's hard to say that and think about a jeep ) I would highly reconsider. The RS9000's are more expensive, but they give you your ride quality. If your going for strickly offroad, they grab the DT's. Also OME and Bilstean make a nice shock for on and offroad.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2001, 05:24 PM   #11
batman

Its hard to say what gears you have without knowing the year. There are also many different combinations for the automatic. You may get by without new gears, but you will have a decrease in power and gas milage will be horrible. Just some things to think about.
94 YJ 2.5L, 4" superlift, 33" Radial MT, wet okole seat covers, Sunrider soft top, front and rear light guards, billet grill, clarion cd player, 2-10" RF subs, soundbar, tb spacer. Thats all I can afford with school.
Unread 07-18-2001, 05:37 PM   #12
batman

I now see in your orignal post that it is a '92. I'm not sure, but I believe it came with 3.73 gears. If I am wrong correct me. You can also look on the differential for the ratio. I am looking at putting on a lift also and I have come to the conclusion that I will need new gears and its going to cost me about $1,000 with installation and new fluids. I have been told that you can get just the rear gears and they can disconect the front drivetrain. This means that you can't use four wheel drive, but if you are strapped for cash you can install the front gears in the near future.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.