Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Rear differential

892 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nuzzy 
#1 ·
My rear differential is leaking. What started off as a small leak (small drop here and there) has turned into a noticeable puddle every morning(almost a cap full). I've never changed it. I guess now would be a good time. I checked the level and it seems fine the increase started about 2 days ago, but I just let it go until this morning. My question is the cover is corroded pretty bad, is it common to break these bolts off? Is that all there is to it just replacing the sealant? Any tricks? and Is it safe to use a higher wt lubricant? The Haynes Man. calls for 75W/90W, but I was thinking of going with the 85W/140W? Same for the transmission too?
TIA

#2 ·
I don't know about the bolts breaking off, most of my axles on older Jeeps have been "oily" LOL, so I haven't had that problem.

As far as the weight, I use 85W/140 all the time in both the axles and tranny/TC. Same basic weight as 75W/90, just a little bit higher with a little higher multi-grade rating.

What is your rig again?

#3 ·
I have a 95 YJ w/4 cyl. stock d30 front and stock d35 rear. Do lockers come with new diff plates? If not do you know where I can pick up a new cover? I may just sand this one down and clean it up good, but would rather have a new one. Also I have the stock d30 on the front. My next mod is going to be a front locker, but I was wondering if adding a locker to the stock would be a waste, because sooner or later I know I'll want to go with a beefier axle? Or will a locker fit a range of axles? One more question--I was looking at the arb air lockers. Do you know anything about them or do you suggest I go a different route?TIA

#4 ·
I agree with Mr. Bill about the D30 front axel. Especially if you know what you're doing while wheeling and aren't just pounding the gas all the time. I've run ARB Air Lockers in my Land Rover Defender 90 for 5 or 6 years now and absolutely love them. Especially for front axel applications since you can engage them only when needed, thus maintaining your ability to steer. The only problem I've ever faced with them is getting pin hole leaks in the air line which render the locker useless. For this reason alone, I'm waiting for OX to finish there Model 20 locker. At that point, I'll get them in both ends of my CJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.