Rausch Creek tires - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Rausch Creek tires

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #16
Fourtrax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Look around there are several knockoff Toyo's out there. One is Amp and another is Fuel, as long as you stay 35or smaller they will work for you and are less spendy than Toyo's. I would not worry about poping a Toyo the sidewalls are beef compared to most other radials. As for the Dunlop's I don't know anyone running them but my past experience with them is that they are fine on street and sand but not so much on rocks as the sidewalls are a little thin.

Fourtrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
paroxysym
2007 WK 

well ive ran 3 different tires at RC and i must say all worked great...

-2002 TJ, 31" BFG MTs KM1s (also ran these at paragon, if any of you remember that park...)
-1995 XJ, 31" MTRs
-2002 TJ, 32" bighorns

bighorns worked the best in my opinion, never any problems and they rode great aired down and aired up. i dont think i aired down the last time i went there...
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice. I talked to my friend who works at Tire Rack- the MTR/K's have been spotty stock lately, so that's a factor for me- if I pop one, I don't want the Jeep to be sidelined for weeks while I wait (yes, I absolutely will have a full-sized matching spare, but still- I won't wheel without one, so if one pops...). I'm thinking now about the KM2 in 33/10.5/15. I know 12.5" width would be better, but they're $42 more per tire. If I went to 12.5" width, the Firestone Destination M/T or Dunlop Mud Rovers are all I can swing- MAX budget is a grand for all 5, and no, saving for more isn't an option, sadly Mark W.
thaduke2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
paroxysym
2007 WK 

honestly if i was in the market for an MT right now, i would def go KM2. they look great and perform great from what ive seen. ever think of a set of kumhos? my buddy ran with me at RC with his XJ on 31" kumho mts. they were great and the newer design of their MT looks awesome

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....KL71&tab=Sizes
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The best prices on tires I've found lately have actually been through mavis or ebay not tirerack. Get 4 tires and a used tire of the same size as the spare. Or better yet since money is the deciding issue keep your eyes peeled for used tires on craigslist, here or other local boards.
Unread 03-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #21
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Paroxysym, the Kumhos are directional. I wouldn't even give them another thought after I saw that. That'd mean if I had a right tire blowout, but only a left spare, well, I'm boned. Unless I was running beadlocks, and could re-mount the tires trailside, they're automatically a no-go.

Ssyj, I don't use PayPal (WAY too many problems with the service), so eBay is pretty much out. As for Mavis, our local one (at least, if it's not just them) has pretty awful prices, but for mounting and balancing (as well as inspections on "iffy" cars/rigs), they're good. I'm keeping an eye out on here and CL, though
Mark W.
Unread 03-09-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Cooper any good?
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #23
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've seen several of the STT's popped trailside at Rausch, and Mavis is the only place that carries them. Not something I'd really consider- Mark W.
Unread 03-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #24
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
I've seen several of the STT's popped trailside at Rausch, and Mavis is the only place that carries them. Not something I'd really consider- Mark W.
Popped bead?
Unread 03-10-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No- that wouldn't bother me much- two torn sidewalls (one in heavy rocks, one in lighter rocks) and one that partially delaminated in heavy rocks. Not confidence-building. Also, the price at Mavis is over $200 per tire before installation, so out of my range- Mark W.
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #26
billybooster2
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003
No- that wouldn't bother me much- two torn sidewalls (one in heavy rocks, one in lighter rocks) and one that partially delaminated in heavy rocks. Not confidence-building. Also, the price at Mavis is over $200 per tire before installation, so out of my range- Mark W.
T x for input!
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #27
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep.
Well, here's the list as it stands for what I'm considering:
KM2's in 33x10.5x15. Sadly, 12.5" width is $34 more per tire ($170 total), so that's just not likely to happen. The rest are in 12.5" width:
Firestone Destination M/T's. Really looking good- I had the Destination A/T's on my wife's JK and LOVED THEM. Best all-around tire I've ever run on a Jeep, period.
Dunlop Mud Rover

I'd love input on these. Also, the local Mavis has the Nankang Mudstars. I'm not really interested in them, but they made me an offer of $850 for a set of five, mounted and balanced, out the door. That's less than the cost of any of the other sets of tires, period, before tax, mounting, etc. so there is some temptation. I didn't have a chance to talk to them about a warranty or anything, but if they have some sort of replacement warranty, I may just give them a shot! Otherwise, I'm trolling my local Craigslist, but apparently folks around here think they had their tires balanced with gold! Some folks asking more for used tires than they cost new! Yikes... anyway, keep the input coming! Cheers- Mark W.
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rausch Creek is East Coast wheelin' - Rocks, mud, forest - tree roots & creek beds, sand etc.

I'm super happy with my MT MTZ's. They have durable side walls (3 Ply and stiff) They wear very well and handle well for highway driving. They outperform KM2's in winter weather conditions. They are not a cheap tire, but I got a set of 5 for under a grand with less than 2K miles on them - going into my third season and more than 1/2 tread left and dead flat/even wear.
Unread 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #29
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Not a huge MT fan, have you looked into Hercules tires? They're relatively cheap and some JK guys swear by their MT style tire.

What about Treadwrights? I loved my MTRs at RC. Never had any problems.
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #30
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

MTR-K kills it at RC. Loved mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.