Rausch Creek tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Rausch Creek tires

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rausch Creek tires

Okay. I'm in upstate NY, and my preferred playground is Rausch Creek. I've seen any number of different tires there, and I've run both Firestone Destination A/T's and KM2's there with great success and zero issues with each. Obviously the KM2's got further with fewer worries.
Anyway, I'd love to hear from other Rausch-goers with firsthand experience only- what has worked for you, what hasn't?

The end of all this will help me decide what to put under the YJ I'm building. Price will be a big factor, so nothing ridiculously spendy will get much thought, but I'm open to suggestions- cheers- Mark W.

thaduke2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow- what an overwhelming response... Thanks! Mark W.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What has worked for me at Rausch? MTRs. But my jeep is a DD so I have to run a tire that is a good multi-use. If a dedicated trail rig, might run something different.
Unread 02-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
Okay. I'm in upstate NY, and my preferred playground is Rausch Creek. I've seen any number of different tires there, and I've run both Firestone Destination A/T's and KM2's there with great success and zero issues with each. Obviously the KM2's got further with fewer worries.
Anyway, I'd love to hear from other Rausch-goers with firsthand experience only- what has worked for you, what hasn't?

The end of all this will help me decide what to put under the YJ I'm building. Price will be a big factor, so nothing ridiculously spendy will get much thought, but I'm open to suggestions- cheers- Mark W.
Do the KM2s clear mud good for you up there? There are some on this forum who say the KM2 gum up and turn into slicks in mud.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I ran km2's for awhile at RC ended up with a giant hole in the sidewall when aired down below 10psi. Before the hole at 12psi they hooked well up trail 5 hillclimb and other blacks. Cleaned well in local slop and were a good all around DD tire for picking them up used then putting 25k on them and wheeling.

I now run creepy crawlers and can say they hook up 100x better with no sidewall worries. If your planning on putting a lot of miles on I'd look toward radial treps or mtrs. If its a second vehicle and occasional driver creepy's are an awesome option(shop around you'd be surprised how much can be knocked off a set).
Unread 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If this is a trail rig then run what the big boys run, sticky Maxxis, Krawlers, Nittos.

But for normal people, my wheeling group has run:

Trail Grapplers
Duratracs
Toyo MT
MT/R
Hankook MT

No failures on any.

Duratracs were the weakest in mud.

I'd run any of them. I am beyond impressed with my Hankooks. I had low expectations but they claw up everything just as good and better than some of the others.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The rig will be a DD 90% of the time, but I don't mind driving daily on M/T's.

As far as the KM2's in mud, they weren't great, for sure. They weren't as brilliant as I'd hoped on slickrock, either. That's why I'm considering other options. That, and price. I also had a small stick puncture a sidewall on an EASY local trail one time, and if I hadn't had a full-size, matching spare, I would have been stuck. It could have just been crappy luck, but it certainly made we think- Mark W.
Unread 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I'm more into rocks than mud, so I'd be willing to trade mud prowess for grip on rocks and durability- Mark W.
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
achilless
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just wondering where you're located. I am in Utica, NY. Rouche trip??!!
2002 TJ Sahara: 4" Zone/ 1.25" BDS body lift. 35" Km2's, Dana 44-LSD, Dana 30-Lokka Locker, JKS 1" motor mount lift, TheDirtWorx bumper/carrier, Smittybilt XRC 8000 Winch, D rings front + rear, Hi-lift
achilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm over in northern Dutchess County. My rig is still a long ways from being Rausch-ready, sadly, but in a few months, hopefully, it will be- Mark W.
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear MTR's are the best I have run there. I've used KM2's, blue label krawlers, and now the MTR's. These hook about the same as the krawlers, but much nicer ride on road. I don't feel like I gave anything up switching to them, other than a lot of rotating mass.
Unread 02-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Fourtrax
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I run 37" Toyo Open Country MT's at Rausch. I do mostly reds and blacks and air down to around 12 lbs. I have yet to get stuck or find an obstacle I could not tackle. I have run everything from BFG ATKO's to KM2's to bias ply swampers and these are the most impressive tire yet. They are very quiet on the road and awesome on the rocks. I highly recommend these tires.
Fourtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard a lot of good things about the Toyos- my big issue with them is availability- there is not a local store that regularly stocks them, meaning that if I somehow pop two, the rig is out for a week or two, whereas with most of the others, I can at least get them via Tirerack.

As for the MTR's, are people referring to plain MTR's, or the Kevlar-reinforced model? Mark W.
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #14
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Probably the Kevlar since that's all they make now. Right?

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on tire decision. Most off road tires will do pretty great.
Unread 02-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #15
thaduke2003
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know- I'm just looking for input. By price, I'm really considering the Dunlop Mud Rovers- they're about $25-35 less per tire, but I haven't heard anything about them at Rausch. For quality, I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Toyos, but I can't find them locally, and the MTR/K's, but they're pretty spendy ($206 per tire in 33/12.5/15 on Tirerack), so that's tricky. We'll see how things go, but it's looking like budget might win out at this point, as I'm pretty income-limited- Mark W.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.