RANT!!! wheels and tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > RANT!!! wheels and tires

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
RustyzChopShop
2013 JK Wrangler 

RANT!!! wheels and tires

Why do businesses only want to sell and give deals on a set of 4 wheels and tires???? I need a spare tire too!!! Then you ask if you get a deal if you buy a fifth and they basically laugh at you. I think its a legitamate question. "Im gunna buy one more tire or wheel from you than you advertise for and you wont cut me a deal?!" ADIOS!!

I think its hilarious when I see people driving around in Jeeps or OTHER off road vehicles with 4 huge wheels and tires and a stock spare. WHADDAYA GUNNA DO WHEN YOU NEED A SPARE NUMBNUTS. Only two reasons for it.......1. you didnt have enuff money to buy a fifth (i feel for ya, some tires can be expensive) or 2. ya just wanna look cool with your for big off road tires in the city.

Anybody know of any places that give deals on five tires?

RustyzChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
JaikYJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Best deal you can get on 5 tires if to buy them used. I bought my MT Baja claws with about 3000 KMs on them, pretty much brand new. I got all 5 and I paid 700 canadian for them.
My buddy bought his from JC whitney he got a sweet deal as well.
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

A salesperson once told me, and I swear it's true, you don't need a spare --- I don't carry a spare and I never got a flat...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
A salesperson once told me, and I swear it's true, you don't need a spare --- I don't carry a spare and I never got a flat...
TeeHee

Yeah, salespeople are pretty dumb sometimes. When I bought my wheels and tires I didn't really go out looking for a deal, just found the cheapest price I could on the tires I wanted, and bought some cheap steelies.

Unless you are planning on a 5-tire-rotation, I'd say just buy a cheap wheel and tire of another brand that is the same size as the other 4 for the spare. Unless you are just getting the spare because it looks good on the back of your rig for the street
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

Free Road Side assistance Why bother changing a spare when u can get towed and have your tired fixed for free

Road hazzard warranty ftw.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
Free Road Side assistance Why bother changing a spare when u can get towed and have your tired fixed for free
That would be a funny phone call to listen to from somewhere on Trail 6 at Tellico...

...okay, sir; we're dispatching a truck right now.
Where did you say you were again? The nearest cross streets?

Well, I can give you GPS coordinates, ma'am. I'm almost at Trail 4; I'll hang my orange treesaver on a big branch so the driver can spot me...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Voodoo1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And when you are on the trail? Do they offer trail side assistance? Nope.
Voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have roadside assistance on the company car. I've had 4 flats on the freeway in the last 2 years. Everytime I've changed the tire myself and continued to work (or home). Taking 10 minutes to change a tire is much more convient to me than making a call, waiting who knows how long, getting towed to who knows where, waiting longer to get the tire fixed or replaced, etc etc. Really, how hard is it to change a freaking tire?!!?!?!?

After the last flat I started carrying my compressor and a plug kit, and go figure, probably 8+ months without a flat.

Probably wouldn't have done me much good on this one though.
Sienna Jeep Club - Member #8
Plans and pics, put an 8" sub in your TJ center console
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That would be a funny phone call to listen to from somewhere on Trail 6 at Tellico...

...okay, sir; we're dispatching a truck right now.
Where did you say you were again? The nearest cross streets?

Well, I can give you GPS coordinates, ma'am. I'm almost at Trail 4; I'll hang my orange treesaver on a big branch so the driver can spot me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
I have roadside assistance on the company car. I've had 4 flats on the freeway in the last 2 years. Everytime I've changed the tire myself and continued to work (or home). Taking 10 minutes to change a tire is much more convient to me than making a call, waiting who knows how long, getting towed to who knows where, waiting longer to get the tire fixed or replaced, etc etc. Really, how hard is it to change a freaking tire?!!?!?!?
Exactly. I didn't have a full size spare for a little while, but definitely got one before I did any sort of hard wheeling. Roadside assistance means that you have to be on the road to get help. If I'm getting a flat, I'm planning on it being caused by a rock through my sidewall or slipping a bead on the trail.

Plus I hate dealing with tow trucks and all that nonsense. Had my Cobra towed a few weeks ago because it cut off on the way to work. They put it on a regular tow truck lifting the rear wheels. It was only 25 miles to my house and somehow during the ride, one of my brand new rear tires rubbed on the ground enough to wear a complete flat spot all the way down through the tread. 2 month old, $310 tire was ruined (315/30/18).
Unread 07-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I won't be running a spare... I don't need another 160lbs hanging off my tailgate.

I do however carry a ton of tire plugs and have an onboard compressor for just in case situations.

I don't think it will fill my 40s up that quickly so I'll be buying a CO2 kit for when I'm offroad and need to air up all 4 tires quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Don't get a sidewall tear then ....
Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
Cherokeegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl View Post
Don't get a sidewall tear then ....
If you've got the skills and the kit, you can repair a sidewall tear on the trail. It's something they teach in the Overlanding lectures from Expeditions West.

Unread 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
RustyzChopShop
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
If you've got the skills and the kit, you can repair a sidewall tear on the trail. It's something they teach in the Overlanding lectures from Expeditions West.
yes!! because everyone has or will be taking that seminar, or does some extreme wheeling enough to worry about an extra 160 lbs.
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
RustyzChopShop
2013 JK Wrangler 

All I Want Is A Matching Full Size Spare!!!!
Unread 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyzChopShop View Post
yes!! because everyone has or will be taking that seminar, or does some extreme wheeling enough to worry about an extra 160 lbs.
I'd love to take that class. I invited them to come to our spring camping trip in Moab ---- it's pretty darn close to their class schedule though.

There are people in our "community" with mad survival skills. Sewing up a sidewall gash and driving off after a popped bead is science fiction to me but something they've done....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.