Raceline Beadlocks & Falken Tires = No Good! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Raceline Beadlocks & Falken Tires = No Good!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
krazytoy

Raceline Beadlocks & Falken Tires = No Good!

I have a set of Raceline Monster Beadlocks and some Falken Rocky Mountain ATS tires in the 35x12.50x15 flavor. These tires and wheels do not work together! Ever since I bought the tires we have not been able to balance them, one of the tires wanted a pound of weight! What I have discovered is that the diameter of the tire bead is too large and will not center the tire on the wheel. I called Raceline and they basically told me to pound sand and that it was the tire, they were actually quite rude to me. I have tried to call Falken but no one has ever answered the phone. I know a lot of you guys run Falkens and Raceline wheels and if anyone else has had these issues and what you did to fix it? The lip that the bead should fit tightly over has a gap of about 1/8". I really hate to buy new tires or wheels...
Pictures:

Last edited by krazytoy; 08-18-2013 at 12:50 PM..
krazytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazytoy View Post
.... I have discovered is that the diameter of the tire is too large and will not center the tire on the wheel.
What does this mean ? Not sure how a 15" tire won't mount on a 15" rim ?

Wondering why you haven't installed the bead lock rings ?

3e4.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
krazytoy

I took the Beadlock ring off to show the gap between the bead and the wheel. See the second and third pictures too see what I'm talking about.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, with the lock ring installed, is there an issue keeping the tire on the rim ?

You are familiar with how bead locks function, right ?

7u8.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
krazytoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
So, with the lock ring installed, is there an issue keeping the tire on the rim ?
No, the issue is the tire will not center on the wheel and therefore you cannot balance them. If you look at the picture you can see the gap between the bead and the lip on the wheel. Every other bead lock I have ever mounted you have to pry the last few inches of the bead over the lip and that is what centers the tire to the wheel.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

With the tire rim combo on the balance machine, is there visible or measureable runout of the tire ?

Unread 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
krazytoy

Quote:
With the tire rim combo on the balance machine, is there visible or measureable runout of the tire ?
Visibly you can see the tire is not "round" with the wheel, that is on the balance machine you can watch the bead lock ring go around with little to no run out and you can see the lines on the tire have at least 1/8" difference in them.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Does the rim indicate round at the bead surface ? Have you indexed the tire or the lock ring 180* ? Mounting the tire on another non bead lock rim will show if the tire is out of round.

Unread 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
krazytoy

Quote:
Do the rim indicate round at the bead surface ? Have you indexed the tire or the lock ring 180* ? Mounting the tire on another non bead lock rim will show if the tire is out of round.
The tire is always going to appear out of round no matter what because their is no way to center it on the wheel.
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest you take them to an independent tire shop and get the answers you seek. Retail tires stores with advertised brand names are helpless and clueless when faced with anything that isn't 100% stock. My tire shop works ATV and trailer tires, farm tractors, bucket loaders, skid loaders, and any on-road vehicle with tires, including 18 wheelers.

Unread 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

CJ7-Tim, maybe you are not understanding what I read!!! Krazytoy is saying that the inside bead diameter of the Falken is a 1/4" smaller than the diameter of the lip on the beadlock wheel therefore having a 1/8 gap between the tire bead and mounting lip of the Raceline wheel!!! as seen in pics. I understand where Krazytoy is coming from as there is nothing that will center the tire on the wheel creating a major balance issue since the tire bead has a 1/8" gap from making contact with the wheel lip!!!
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
WXman
2001 WJ 

Falken tires are a PITA to begin with. Took multiple technicians an hour just to mount one of my 285/75-16s onto a standard 8.5" rim. Then just recently I was at a Discount Tire store and saw the techs mounting some to a guy's TJ on stock wheels and they were using some kind of huge torch/blow gun thing to get them to take a seat on the bead and hold air. I can imagine that on fancy rims like you've got they'd be a nightmare.

Yet another reason I'll never buy Falkens again.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Falken tires are a PITA to begin with. Took multiple technicians an hour just to mount one of my 285/75-16s onto a standard 8.5" rim.
That's odd, I mounted my 285/70/17s on JK Moabs in my garage with two motorcycle tire levers and a pitiful homeowner-style compressor with the CFM output of an asthmatic nonagenarian wheezing into a McDonald's straw. Bead seating was a little tricky but I made it through.

OP, I'd try a local 4x4 shop that's better with beadlocks. It might take some trial and error, but I don't see how you couldn't get the tire to seat straight.

Plan B is to see if you can get a different ring with a lip that could centre the tire better?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #14
krazytoy

Here is the issue I am trying to point out. I really have no complaints about the tires themselves it is just that they don't seem to fit the wheel or the wheel doesn't fit the tire. It is not a question of whether or not the tire shop can mount them correctly either, it is a size issue.

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What if you mounted them (to seat the inside bead), pulled the cores, loosened the bolts on the beadlock ring, then re-tightened with the hopes that the one centered bead would "pull" the tire straight under the lock ring?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.