R.E. 4.5 Long Arm vs Rockkrawler Long Arm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > R.E. 4.5 Long Arm vs Rockkrawler Long Arm?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-15-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
budzilla

R.E. 4.5 Long Arm vs Rockkrawler Long Arm?

Starting to really lean towards a long arm instead of a short arm lift due to the ride quality and other apparent advantages. Guess it comes down to the 2 manufacturers Rubicon Express or Rockkrawler? Sure could use some opinions of the 2. Will be running 35's , SYE , etc.......

budzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

im doing the best of both when i do mine, im gettin RE 4.5 coils and RK LA upgrade, i want the 4 link rear, and i was told their new generation by numerous people is very very good
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
redrock4x4

Something you may want to consider is that RE has a new 3 link conversion coming out in April/May which will be sold as a bolt on upgrade to their existing long arm kit.

Once that is released, I don't think there will be any argument as to who has the better kit. Even as is I feel the RE long arm kit is a better product than the current RK kit, I've just never been impressed by the RK stuff.

Here's a link for more info on the RE 3 link:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=610591
redrock4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
NetJunkie

RE is still radius arms in the front where RK is a 4-link w/ torque arm. Very nice flex on the front w/ the RK kit. Plus, you can run a tummy tucker if you want.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetJunkie
RE is still radius arms in the front where RK is a 4-link w/ torque arm. Very nice flex on the front w/ the RK kit. Plus, you can run a tummy tucker if you want.
Contrary to popular belief the radius arms do not limit flex in any way. Here's a picture to demonstrate. With shocks disconnected the only thing limiting flex here if the front brake line.

The reason RK's kits flex so much is they use shocks that are way too long for their coil springs. Throw the same shocks on the RE kit and you have the same mount of flex.

With that said you can pull one of the RE uppers off if you want to make the kit like the RK, but you are giving up a lot of margin for error on the front end if something were to fail when you do this.

RE is also working on a 3 link or 4 link kit for the front which will eliminate the front track bar, but this will be a ways off.
redrock4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
NetJunkie

Oh, I agree the RE flexes just fine. My main concern was bushing wear on those front arms. Everyone I talk to routinely replaces those front bushings.

I like the torque arm in the front idea. I just went to Nth's rear torque arm setup and I like it a lot. There isn't a good way for them to do theirs in the front or they would.
NetJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
HIPPER

Both companies make nice kits.

Let me start by saying that I am not a direct distributor for RE, although I can get you one if you want through a "partner". I do not mean for ANY of these comments to imply that I am bashing RE so I can sell you a RK kit.

OK, that being said. I like the RK kit better because of the rear tri-link and the front 3-link. I will tell you that I have a RK kit and I can't believe the quality of this product. They have come full circle since the previous owners put out their marginal kit. They offer a great warranty and you can't beat their customer service. RK is a growing company and they are selling kits like crazy. This is because more and more people are realizing what kind of product they produce. I have spoke with people (well known off roaders and fabricators) who have run the RE kits. They have not been happy with the kits and are switching to RK.

People will tell you that RE is the best out there, and in their eyes (or because that is what they sell) they are. I say they are a big company that offers a very competitive kit. However, they are not the only ones out there. I think the RK kits are just as good if not better than the others on the market (not only RE).

I sell MANY different suspension kits for TJ's. I always recommend RK over the rest. I am not bias towards them because they are the only ones I carry. I don't care what you get, I just want to help the customer chose the kit that is right for them and make sure he/she is happy with their decision.

One of the best things about the RK kit is the price. Don't be fooled, you get a top of the line kit. They are just a smaller company and can afford to keep their costs down. Here are some of my prices on the RK stuff:

4" Severe Duty Long Arm kit w/ shocks
$1475.00

5.5" Severe Duty Long Arm kit w/ shocks
$1650.00

If you don't want the shocks that come with the kit, knock off 100 bucks.

If you find a better price, let me know and I'll see what I can do to beat or match it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would love to help out in your decision.

Thanks
Brandon

Check out www.hippshobbies.com for all your 4x4 needs. Our product line is constantly growing so I can get you almost anything you want, just e-mail me your request and I'll get you a quote brandon@hippshobbies.com

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
HIPPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 04:39 PM   #8
Rubie Tuesday

I understand that RE is an easy kit to build upon. So how does the RK compare in that segment? I have a near new set of Bogger's in 33's, therefore I plan on running them until they are about spent, then I will get 35's maybe 36's. That is why I would considder either buying a RE 4.5 LA or a RK 4.0 LA, then upgrading.

I do not want a kit that is too big, That is why I am afraid that the 5.5's will be too big, especially the RE's, since they are actually bigger than for what they list for.

To upgrade the RE 4.5 LA to a 5.5, you just need to add the 5.5 springs and bigger rear shocks. What about the RK? ... o yea, I forgot, also how does the full traction comply when it comes to upgrading?

I am going to buy a new Long arm kit this spring for my newest jeep, and the lifts I am very interested in are RE, Full Traction, and also RK.

I have been also looking at the Rock Ready kits from skyjacker since my buddy runs one. He seems to like it alot but I have heard from people on the forum that they are not worth it. Also, Fabtechs lift caught my interest, but again, people seem to down play it. But one thing about those 2 kits are they can be used with any tranny plate skid plate. ** Just like the RK's.

Either way, I have been doing alot of research on these lifts, & I have been calling around to shops and getting opinions and prices.

On an ending note, I have heard ALOT of great things about these lifts, especially RE, but to the person who started this forum, YOU ASKED A GREAT QUESTION! I just wish that I could see each lift on a different jeep in person!

This will be a hard decision for me when the time does come to get a lift. It will probably come down to which brand has the coolest windshield decal! -ehh!
Rubie Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was in the same boat. I wanted a quality kit and after a LOT of looking and reading and seeing a FT SA 4in Ultimate kit I had ordered one. Then I drove my buddies jeep with that same kit and lifted the inside tire on a mild turn. I cancelled my order the next day. I then made several calls and did alot more reading and was down to an RK or RE 4.5 LA. I decided on the RE kit mainly due to the fact that they are fairly close to me, have been well tested and are generally thought to be an excellent kit. I got mine from Jason @ Redrock 4x4(great to deal with and an excellent price, THANKS Jason!!) and am waiting for delivery. The new 3 Link option that will soon be released sounds good too.

Now thats not to talk bad about the RK kit. I think it would also be an excellent choice and I have told my undecided buddies to check into it before buying. I don't think either of the kits would be a bad choice, but each are different and have the good and bad. I made my choice as mentioned above.
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

got a RK kit and love it ive run alot of different lifts and this is the best
you can up grade also with ease
for the price you can beat it

yogi
Unread 02-19-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
yogi
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock4x4
Contrary to popular belief the radius arms do not limit flex in any way. Here's a picture to demonstrate. With shocks disconnected the only thing limiting flex here if the front brake line.

The reason RK's kits flex so much is they use shocks that are way too long for their coil springs. Throw the same shocks on the RE kit and you have the same mount of flex.

With that said you can pull one of the RE uppers off if you want to make the kit like the RK, but you are giving up a lot of margin for error on the front end if something were to fail when you do this.

RE is also working on a 3 link or 4 link kit for the front which will eliminate the front track bar, but this will be a ways off.
where can i get those tie rods and drag link??

yogi
Unread 02-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #12
Fritz R.

Looks like the tera hi steer to me.

http://www.jeepline.com/store/itemde...sp?ID=14081608
Fritz R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2005, 03:46 PM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock4x4
Something you may want to consider is that RE has a new 3 link conversion coming out in April/May which will be sold as a bolt on upgrade to their existing long arm kit.
And I can barely wait!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
Jeepxj96

Yea it looks like the Tera kit, but Off Road Only makes another nice kit, with theirs you dont replace the knuckle though.

Bob
Unread 02-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #15
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Get anything that has a triangulated rear. don't settle for less.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.