Quite Aggressive Tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Quite Aggressive Tires?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 10-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
rudeboyrob88
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quite Aggressive Tires?

I need new tires. I have a '01 XJ and have ran 31 x 12.5 ProComp X-Terrains, and more recently just finished wearing out Mickey Thompson 31 x 10.5 Baja Claws. My jeep was wobbling, so I brought them in to bet balanced, and was told that they are worn so bad that they can no longer be balanced. Anyway, I still want an aggressive look, and love the way these tires performed off road, but I do drive it on pavement way more than I do off road.

I've been looking at BFG AT's and MT's, ProComp X MT's and X AT's, and Toyo Mud.

Please let me know what you would recommend for an aggressive tire that will last a long time on the highways and provide a quite ride, but also stand up very well in snow, mud and off road.

Thanks,
Rob.

rudeboyrob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
DJdave
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the bfg at's. Great tire. Haven't had them in snow, but I think they'll do very well. I don't do extreme rock crawling, just trails and creek bed type stuff here in Missouri. I've had them in the mud and they do pretty well, but I wouldn't take them in sticky mud or mud over your wheels. I'd recommend them. They look pretty good too.
DJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
TJLover99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like the BFG AT's my dad has them on his Jeep and they barely hum. I can't say about snow but they do fairly well in mild off-roading, although I wouldn't get carried away in the mud (very cold, muddy Christmas Eve story).
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
LVLF4LO
2001 XJ Cherokee 

MTR K's with over 5K miles on them and still very very quiet. LOVE EM!!!
LVLF4LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
rudeboyrob88
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The MTR K's look pretty sweet. They just might be a little out of range for my budget. Anyone know how long they would or should last with a lot of highway driving? It they can hold up for some time, it may be worth it.

Also, has anyone tried the Hankook RF10's? Comments.....?
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 33' MTR/K are loud on the road. They roar like a lion but I love the sound. They are louder than my MTZ's ever thought of being.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
rudeboyrob88
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have any experience with the Goodyear Duratrac's? They look good, but I'm seeing some bad reviews. I'm surprised, because I would think that goodyears would be a superior quality.
Unread 10-22-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't do muddy trails, then I'd recommend the BFG A/T...if some mud is involved, go with the Goodyear MT/R kevlar. Also might consider the Firestone Destination M/T if you can still find them.
TNeustadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
nniemczyk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got 37s toyo mts and there the quietest mt I have ever ran on the road. Also they do 10x better than I ever thought they in the mud. I've have never been in stuck in the year I have owned them and we have some nasty mud and clay down here in Georgia. The only down side to the toyos are they are very expensive.

Edit: The word censored is a synonym for a cat.
nniemczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.