Quietest Offroad Tire? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Quietest Offroad Tire?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #31
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
maybe the guys that think their tires are "silent" are the guys that are almost deaf from years of loud tires and topless Jeep wind noise.

I'm gonna agree with this ^^

I have never ran anything but m/t's on my wranglers with the exception my TJ came with BFG a/t's. I ran MTZ's for years and found them to be reasonable and quiet. My current Kevlars are better yet but only have 12k on them.
Even when i DD my krawlers they weren't bad and could still hear traffic, Radio and hold a conversation. IMO it comes down to what a certain person can tolerate and considers loud. To each his own, Good luck

Unread 07-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #32
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
maybe the guys that think their tires are "silent" are the guys that are almost deaf from years of loud tires and topless Jeep wind noise.
That would indeed be me. Have been around marine engines for my entire career plus I grew up around them. Shooting sports hasn't helped either...... And yes, my days of the old CJ with the modified AMC 360, BFG muds and a bikini top probably didn't help. Even with around 50% hearing loss in my left ear those STTs are loud! Jeep is an LJ with a hard top. Actually ran down to Anna Maria Is. last evening which is a 2hr 45min trip and it is amazing how loud the stereo has to be to overcome the tires. When I got in it this morning and turned the key the speakers about blew me out of the cab!
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #33
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have 33" gy duratracs yes they are quiet as heck despite being a aggressive A/T. my YJ is a DD/occasional offroader. i tested these tires in deep mud, buckshot mud in MS and it does suprisingly great with some tire spin their clean again. i climb wet hills in 2wd and it does great on that too. i love the duratracs but since finding out their cousin tire GY mt/r w/kelvar are around the same price i may get them when the duratracs wear down for replacement.
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #34
TomSmith

Noise Comfort Consumer Survey

Tire Rack has a Consumer Survey that has a Noise Comfort column for Off Road All-Terrain.

This is the one for Off-Road Maximum Traction.

You can look at the current survey results here.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

I hope this helps.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #35
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Update: MTR/K's getting louder and louder with more mileage, but not loud to the point where it's a problem to me. With the doors and windows off, at highway speed, it does get a sort of drone from the tires..
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
mild96xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

my bfg km2s are pretty quiet
mild96xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #37
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I've heard lots of BS for years about quiet MTs (which don't exist). Quiet compared to what? Tank tracks?

Probably they mean quiet compared to noisy(er) MTs.

BFG AT is reasonably quiet, but does buzz a little.

Goodyear Silent Armor, Cooper AT3, and Firestone Destination AT are reputed to be very quiet and excellent.

All 3 have excellent reputation.

Of those, I prefer the Cooper AT3 for traction.
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:00 AM   #38
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Duratracs get louder as they wear. My wife hated how loud the JK was until I replaced the Duratracs with Toyos, now we can have a conversation without yelling.
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #39
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought Cooper AT3 this week and they ars silent. I can't hear them at any speed. Fantastic tire. I owned 2 sets of BFG AT before. The Cooper AT3 is a fantastic AT and costs less.

Edited in Later: Also worth looking at are Goodyear Silent Armor, Firestone Destination AT, Kumho Road Venture AT, and Nokian AT.

Probably also some others that I don't know of.
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #40
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403 View Post
Duratracs get louder as they wear. My wife hated how loud the JK was until I replaced the Duratracs with Toyos, now we can have a conversation without yelling.
What kind of Toyo's? I'm guessing not the M/T's. But if it's the Open Country A/T, what do you think of that tire compared to the Duratrac? I kind of like the Toyo AT's but I like the more aggressive look of the Dura more. I'm still kind of considering the Toyo's, though (also considering Cooper ATP or AT3's, Nitto Trail Grappler MT's [since they seem to be the only MT that comes in a C-rated version and seem to be quiet-ish] and regular BFG A/T and KM2's in addition to the Toyo AT's and the Duratracs. Thanks.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM   #41
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's not been my experience with the Duratracs I've been running since 2010.... Like any tire lugged more aggressive than a standard AT, you have to be on top of your rotation.

Quote:
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #42
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cooper AT3 look aggressive for an AT and have exceptionally deep tread for an AT. They are silent too. No noise and soft riding. Low price too!

I owned 2 sets of BFG AT. Slight buzz even when new. Cooper AT3 makes no sound I can hear. I am now running Cooper AT3 and very impressed with them.

Also worth considering are Goodyear Silent Armor, Firestone Destination AT, Kumho Road Venture AT, Toyo Open Country AT, and Nokian AT.

Probably also some other ATs that I don't know of.

No way will Duratrac be as quiet as the AT that I recommended above.
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADragg View Post
What kind of Toyo's? I'm guessing not the M/T's. But if it's the Open Country A/T, what do you think of that tire compared to the Duratrac? I kind of like the Toyo AT's but I like the more aggressive look of the Dura more. I'm still kind of considering the Toyo's, though (also considering Cooper ATP or AT3's, Nitto Trail Grappler MT's [since they seem to be the only MT that comes in a C-rated version and seem to be quiet-ish] and regular BFG A/T and KM2's in addition to the Toyo AT's and the Duratracs. Thanks.
Open Country AT2. Wife was wanting to ditch the JK until we got rid of the Duratracs, now she can hear again while driving. She wanted quiet and aggressive looks. I was set on the Cooper AT3, but she chose the Toyos after seeing them side by side at the tire shop. They were $10 each cheaper than Coopers and 50k warranty.
They are better than Duratracs so far but have not tried snow or deep mud yet.
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #44
ADragg
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Open Country AT2. Wife was wanting to ditch the JK until we got rid of the Duratracs, now she can hear again while driving. She wanted quiet and aggressive looks. I was set on the Cooper AT3, but she chose the Toyos after seeing them side by side at the tire shop. They were $10 each cheaper than Coopers and 50k warranty.
They are better than Duratracs so far but have not tried snow or deep mud yet.
What size did you get them in? Were they passenger rated or an LT version (C-rated, E-rated, etc)? I really like the Open Country ATII the more I look at it, but you can either get the passenger rated ones, which are lighter and ride softer, but have a less aggressive tread patter (only 13/32 deep tread and less aggressive sidewall) - OR - you can get an LT version, which has 16/32 tread and more aggressive looking sidewall but they don't make a C-rated LT version (at least in my size range), so you're stuck with E-rated. Luckily, the E-rated LT265/70/17 version (which has the more aggressive tread) only weighs 48 pounds (slightly more than a Duratrac in C-rating and less than a Duratrac E-rating). So even though they only come in an E-rating in my size for the more aggressive tread version, the weight isn't too bad and I'm hoping that also means they don't ride too stiff for an E-rated tire on a Jeep.

I'm curious if you got an LT version (with the more aggressive tread) or "passenger rated" version (which just looks too "mild" for me with the shallower tread and mild sidewalls). I'm guessing the LT version if your wife thought it looked more aggressive than the Cooper AT3. And if you did get the more aggressive LT version, then it's probably E-rated and I'm curious how the ride quality is in your opinion. I'm hoping it's not too stiff for an E tire.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #45
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I worried a bit about E versus C rating when I went with the Duratracs. For what I do, I couldn't tell any real difference in ride quality.
JeffBowser is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.