Quietest Offroad Tire? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Quietest Offroad Tire?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #16
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's generally easy to see what will be quiet, look for patterns where the lugs don't hit all at once. Essentially the exact opposite of a bogger. Then there's tire compound and a few other factors after that but generally I find this to be the case. $.02

05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
x2...if BFG AT's are too loud for you, you need earmuffs or something. BFG ATs are one of quiestest tires out there.
Yeah...always thought so. Have run them several times on pickups because they seemed quiet. Could be lower tire pressure on the Jeep?

Wide open country around here and most Highways are concrete. Very loud.
Asphault roads are much less noise.
Contrary to what some of you seem to think.... I'm not a 'wus'. Just thought I'd ask before spending serious money. Nothing I can't live with.
And I rotate every 3,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf0122 View Post
My KM/2's are silent untill you slow to <10MPH then there is a slight hum as they slow to a stop.
Have heard that before but 'Imped' disagrees??

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Every 3k here.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #19
AliGndahouse
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's strange my bfg's are pretty quiet. I barely here em at all
AliGndahouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

I've run BFG KOs, General Grabber AT2, and TreadWright Warden....all which have a very similar tread pattern...and they are noisy on the highway. They HUMMMMMMM pretty good.

The quietest MT I've ever had is the Cooper STT. The loudest MT I've ever had is the KM2...those were loud as he**.

If you specifically want a AT tire that is QUIET on the highway...look for tires with a more ribbed tread design. Some examples are Toyo Open Country AT, Firestone Destination AT, etc. Those are whisper quiet and you can barely tell they are even there. I can't believe how quiet those tires are...but they are great in bad weather.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

disagree on the km2 loudness. it all depends on air pressure, contact patch, alignment, how often you rotate, rim size...etc...blah...blah..blah. i have a buddy with a superduty on 35-37" km2s and they are just as quiet as his stockers were and that diesel is heavy

plus "loud" is relative to what you have driven. everything is quiet after boggers
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
I'....If you specifically want a AT tire that is QUIET on the highway...look for tires with a more ribbed tread design......
Agree, Quietest agressive tire I even had is the Pro Comp, Extreme, A/T.
It's directional.... and I'm convinced the directional tread pattern makes for much less noise (similar to the old BFG M/T's).
But I can't get them in 33" for 16" wheels. Maybe I'll switch wheels??

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
RKBA
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Firestone Destination AT, Michelin AT2, Bridgestone Revo, Pirelli Scorpion, Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmor are a few that I think are quieter than the venerable BFG AT
RKBA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My MTR's with Kevlar are suprisingly REALLY quiet
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #25
biebs53
1998 ZJ 

I've ran the old style MTR's, Toyo MT's, BFG AT's and KM2's, and Duratracs on different vehcles. Old MTR's were the loudest, then Toyos, then KM2's. Duratracs are silent and BFG AT's are too. Duratracs are my favorite tire for a DD/wheeling tire. Awesome traction, silent on street with great manners and cheapest. Only problem is the sidewall isnt as thick as i'd like but i'm very happy with them. MTR's had great traction off road and a thick sidewall but I still managed to puncture one. They're pricey and not good on the street during rain. They were on a pick up tho and were 35's. I replaced the MTR's with BFG AT's when they wore out and also had AT's on an F250. Awesome street tire. Best on road manners, silent and good overall traction. Not as good as an MT bit that is to be expected. Toyo's I only had one trip in LJ and they were 37's. Loud and expensive but great off road, ok on road. My buddy has the Hankook MT's and the were surprisingly good in mud. Fairly loud on the street but i've heard louder. I would choose BFG AT's for a DD, Duratracs for a DD/wheeler, and MTR Kevlars for a weekend wheeler or maybe go a little more aggressive.

This is my experience with these tires. Hope it helps

Build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-raven-biebs53-build-thread-1215245/[/FONT][/url][/CENTER]
biebs53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #26
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The quietest MT I've ever had is the Cooper STT.
Righttttt..........I almost need a hearing aid after running these tires for 6 hours up to the hunting camp!
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #27
BrianBFD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I recently bought a set of Corsa's. I had never heard of them but tried them because of the great price I got. They are by far the quietest off road tire I have ever owned.
I also have to agree with others about the BFG A/T's they are pretty quiet, but these Corsa's are just as quiet if not more so. Overall, I don't know that I have ever heard of a true off road tire that didn't "sing" or make a lot of noise on pavement.

If fishing is a sport, does that make me an athlete?
BrianBFD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypappy View Post
Righttttt..........I almost need a hearing aid after running these tires for 6 hours up to the hunting camp!

Really? See it's interesting how everybody has different experiences with the same tires. My KM2s required ear muffs....but other guys say they are "silent". My STTs were just as quiet as an AT...and yours are loud. This is why asking for opinions on tires on a forum is going to end up in 10 pages of no help.

Another tire I've had good luck with and to me is pretty quiet is the Treadwright Guard Dog:
guard-dog2.jpg  
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #29
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Really? See it's interesting how everybody has different experiences with the same tires. My KM2s required ear muffs....but other guys say they are "silent".
maybe the guys that think their tires are "silent" are the guys that are almost deaf from years of loud tires and topless Jeep wind noise.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #30
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

my brother has stt's on his dodge truck and they are loud. They are way louder inside the truck with the windows up and ac on than my 34" swamper ltb's on my open top jeep. my hearing is fairly good and i can hardly hear my ltbs at 60. with dual exhaust and ltb's i figured i would not be able to hear anything but i can have a conservation at normal volume levels with my wife driving down the road.
roadhog304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.