quietest 33" MUD tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > quietest 33" MUD tire?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
crashtom

quietest 33" MUD tire?

I've searched forums and I realize that mud and quiet don't usually go together but I love the way the B.F.Goodrichs look on the Rubicon.
I'm going up 1 size to a 33" tire. I love the agressive sidewall look of these mud tires but I'm really looking for the quietest of them all over off-road traction.
So far I'm looking at these:

Mickey Thompson MTZ
TrXus Mud Terrain
Cooper Discoverer STT
Firestone Destination MT
Pro Comp Mud Terrain
Toyo Open country MT
**** Cepek Mud Country

From what I've been reading the B.F Goodrichs are actually the loudest out of all these, is this true? What is your experience?

Thanks for any help so I can tell my tire store to narrow it down!

crashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
Toms87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My baja claws have been insanely quiet for the 1 or 2 thousand miles i've had them on. I also have 33" Pro comp muds on my explorer. They were quiet-ish when i got them but now are deafening with about 20,000 or so miles (daily driver).
Toms87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
crashtom

Good to know about the Pro comps -Thanks
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the BFG's MTK's in 33" and they are very quite and handle great on the road! And one of the best off road tires too! Yes I know my spare is a AT.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My rig came with Pro Comp muds and they were so loud people would look up the street to see me coming. I don't know, perhaps the PO didn't balance them and they wore funny.

I've been running BFG KM2 since then and can't complain.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
Jebussaves0
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The second generation BFG Mud Terrains (KM2) are actually very quiet. I don't even notice a noise difference over my stock wanglers until 70 mph or so
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara | 4.0L 5spd D44/D30 3.73s | Hurst Shifter | Hardwired Power Inverter | Hummer-Style CAI | 1" Rusty's BL/MML | AA TC Shifter Bracket | 2" BB | JKS Quicker Discos | 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2s | Alpine CDA-9886 HU | OTRATTW Switch Panel | G.P.F. Rear Bumper | Metalcloak Overline Fenders

M416 Trailer | In Progress
Jebussaves0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/goodyear-mtr-kevlar-moab-review-752676/

MTR w/Kevlar

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtom View Post
From what I've been reading the B.F Goodrichs are actually the loudest out of all these, is this true
The older generation BFG MT is slightly loud, the newer KM2 is actually quieter.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTJ View Post
The older generation BFG MT is slightly loud, the newer KM2 is actually quieter.
Yeah; they're two different animals.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 07-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
NiCk-
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My ProComp XMT are really quiet. A lot quieter than my 29" Buckshots I had earlier

RC 4.5" with ADJ. Trac Bar
33" BFG All Terrains on Cragar Soft 8's
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Dyck Cepek Mud Countrys are quiet, tough, great off road and clean out mud very well. I am very pleased with mine.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
+Crusader+

Those are all fairly quiet when inflated and rotated regularly. Except I've heard the old design mud terrain from Pro Comp can get noisy, which apparently the new Xtreme MT design isn't. Out of all of those you should get the one you like the look of, since they all wear and perform comparably.

I wish some offroad publication would get together all the usual mud terrain suspects, test them accoustically, both new and well-used, and give us some feedback. I'll put that in my pipe-dream with all the others ...
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
MSJEEP88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Toyo open country mt, the quietest tire i,ve ever owned.
MSJEEP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
crashtom

Thanks for the input on all the tires. I've heard NEVER to cross rotate a mud tire, any truth?

Thanks
Unread 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtom View Post
Thanks for the input on all the tires. I've heard NEVER to cross rotate a mud tire, any truth?

Thanks
Only if it's directional. I do a 5 tire rotation with my MTR/K's just fine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.