pulsing when braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > pulsing when braking

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
jawhite123

pulsing when braking

I've had my 02 grand cherokee for almost 2 years now and can't seem to get rid of this problem. After driving for 10 minutes or so, regardless of speeds, when I apply the brakes my Jeep pulses. At higher speed (50-70 mph) it shakes violently, but in town driving effect time I need to slow to a stop it pulses as if the rotors were warped. I have replaced the rotors, calipers, wheel bearings and pads on the front end and it seemed to help a little for a while, but it is quickly gettingback to the original pulsating feel. The alignment is also terrible. Even after getting a new alignment it only lasts a week and then back to pulling to the right (which has made my front right tire wear much faster and more unusual pattern then the other three). I've tried checking for play in all the tie rod ends and nothing seems to be loose our worn. Any suggestions on what to try next to get rid of this pulsing?

jawhite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

check the gear on the shaft that times for the abs my 02 WJ had a broken tooth on the shaft that caused the abs to get an incorrect reading and cause some crazy pedal pulse a good test is to find the abs fuse and pull it if the braking pulse goes away you may have a starting point. (I am not an expert this is just what my WJ had happen start by pulling the abs fuse)

if you don't have abs then never mind
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Attwanl
1985 CJ7 

Check your rotors and drums ....rotors wil warp...so to speak ...braking surface gets uneven, drums will to but mostly the rotors. Sometimes they can be turned but it is just as easy to get new ones.
I had a truck that did the same thing...
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The pulsing that occurs only under braking is almost always rotors. So you may want to revisit them. I know that the real cheapo Chinese rotors will warp in one episode of overheating, but since you replaced the calipers, it seems unlikely that it is resulting from a sticky caliper ruining new rotors. I'd still revisit the rotors.
Unread 04-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Brake rotors need to be replaced.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
jawhite123

Sluff28, where is this gear you speak of? I'm really not familiar with brakes past the superficial level of rotors, calipers, pads and hubs. I'm not sure where to look or what to look for as far as the abs gear you're talking about? To the rest, I supposed I could have warped another set of rotors. May have to replace them (again) but the pulsing never went away after the first replacement. Just toned down a little.

Also, on the subject of wheels. Anybody got advice for cutting a lug nut off? In trying to get my wheel off I rounded the nut, in my stupidity I starting chiseling away so a wrench and so forth is no longer an option. I can't get a dremel or grinder on the nut without cutting the wheel itself. Any thoughts?
jawhite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #7
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawhite123 View Post
Sluff28, where is this gear you speak of? I'm really not familiar with brakes past the superficial level of rotors, calipers, pads and hubs. I'm not sure where to look or what to look for as far as the abs gear you're talking about? To the rest, I supposed I could have warped another set of rotors. May have to replace them (again) but the pulsing never went away after the first replacement. Just toned down a little.

Also, on the subject of wheels. Anybody got advice for cutting a lug nut off? In trying to get my wheel off I rounded the nut, in my stupidity I starting chiseling away so a wrench and so forth is no longer an option. I can't get a dremel or grinder on the nut without cutting the wheel itself. Any thoughts?
Heat it up with a propane torch. If the nuts are chromed, they will turn blue when hot enough. Point is, get them hot. Then pound the next smallest size (1/64" down from your lug wrench) socket on it with a stout hammer. When I say stout, I mean a 37 ounce mechanics hammer or equivalent. Get a 48" breaker bar or a nice piece of thick walled iron pipe to fit over the smaller breaker bar and have at.

If that doesn't work, drill out the stud with a titanium bit. Start with a 3/16" and move up until the nut falls off or turns. Replace stud.

Also consider a nut breaker. I have a Craftsman but never had to use it on a wheel lug. If the lug is inset, it won't work. You have to use it from the side.
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawhite123 View Post

before you check the abs ring just pull the fuse for the abs if the brake pulsing issue goes away then look at the outer most part of your axle shafts. you will see something that looks like a gear. that is what the abs uses to keep track of wheel rotation. but start with the fuse if that doesn't fix it then its most likely your rotors again.
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.