pros/cons of 16 inch wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > pros/cons of 16 inch wheel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

pros/cons of 16 inch wheel

I am in need of some new tires and have come across the treadwright line. I believe this is the route I want to go. The issue is I currently have 33x12.50x15. They do not offer this size or anything near it. They do however offer a similar size with 16 in wheel.

I am noticing that the 16 in wheel with 8 in width seem to have 4 in backspacing while my 15 in wheel with 8 in width has 3.75. Why is that? Will they stick out further? less?

Ok... yall sell me on this or sell me on something else.

Thanks

Unread 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
nocojeep
2006 WK 

The 16 inch wheel that is 8 inches wide and 4 inch backspace will stick IN 1/4 inch farther than the 15 inch 8 inch wide wheel with 3.75 inch backspace. Backspacing is the measurement from the inner lip of the wheel to the back of the mounting plate, so less backspacing = wheel sticking farther out. A 33 inch tire for 16 inch wheel will either be 285/75-16 or 305/70-16, both of which will fit the 8 inch wide wheel just fine.
nocojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As of now, I've adjusted by bump stop out with one washer to eliminate rub on the leaf springs. If my tires are tucked in that extra .25 inch wouldnt the tires hit the leaves more? Although those tires are a little narrower....
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
WXman

In my opinion, the biggest con is that most tires in this size are made for heavy duty pickups and are very heavy. Therefore, the treadwright offerings will be even heavier than treadwrights other sizes. I personally wouldn't do it. I'd stick with 15" wheels and order tires from discounttiredirect.com to save cash, fuel economy, braking, and acceleration.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.