Pro Comp X vs MT/Rs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Pro Comp X vs MT/Rs

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 04-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #1
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Pro Comp X vs MT/Rs

My 31's are wearing down and I'm shopping for new tires. I want 33" tires and have been looking at the MT/Rs. I searched to see if anyone had any opinions on the Pro Comp X.
Fourwheelparts.com has a package deal with rims and tires, but I'm not sure if I need beed locks for 33" tires.
Any comments- suggestions?

ARB Front Locker
PowerTrax No-Slip Rear Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:45 AM   #2
ZJChaser

I've had two sets of 33"S MTRs and just mounted up my 35" X-Terrains. so far the X-Terrains are noisier(I positive its because they are on a 7" wide wheel) testing it out I need to run about 18psi to get the contact patch flat. they have a much wider contact patch than the MTRs it seems. so far so good. I'm hoping they last longer than the MTRs(main reason I didn't get them again) I did love the MTR sidewall though. hopefully the Xs hold up as well.
[b][color=red]Red Jeep Club Member #127[/color][/b]
ZJChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

From what I was reading, it sounds like the Pro Comp has 4 layers on the side wall. The description wasn't very clear. I know there are a lot of people that like the MT/Rs, but if I'm going to throw down $1000 or more on rims and tires, I want to make sure I"m getting the best bang for my buck...
I'n not that concerned about the noise. When you're driving with a bikini top, you can't hear anything anyways. (cheap stock radio...)
Then comes the stock rims and tires. I was thinking about having two sets. One for driving around town and for commuting to work. And the other for off road. The MT/R seemed like they took care of that problem. They are good enough for both on and off road.
How many miles did your MT/Rs last? 20k? more?
ARB Front Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the 32 x 11.50 GY MT'R's on my YJ. So far I have about 12k miles on them with very little wear. If they continue to wear at the same rate I'm guessing I will get at least 40k out of them. Pretty good for an aggressive tire I think. I will likely go the 33 MT'R's when these wear out. Anyone considering 33's might think twice about the x-terrains. They are actually 31's on steriods (31.4" in diameter). I'm not sure why they call them a 33. Most tires are a touch undersized, but this particular x-terrain is way undersized in my opinion. The same size BFG and GY tires are 32.8 and 33.7 inches in diameter.

My YJ is also my daily driver so my MT'R's see a lot of both highway and offoad use. They are also suprisingly quiet, much quieter than the BFG counter part. I don't know how they compare to the x-terrains.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oops! Typo. The 33" MT'R's are 32.7 inches in diameter...Sorry...
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
Unread 04-23-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
pdw

I have a set of 33" X-Terrains on 15x8 rockcrawlers. Compared to my old Pro-Comp M/T's these are very quiet tires on the street. I've only had them for about a month, but they don't follow the grooves in the street and they climb over rocks rather nicely!

EDIT
I ran these tires on the street in slushy/icy snow last weekend up in our local mountains and I was pleased with how they performed.
I also ran the tires @ 20psi on the trail and they seemed to grip and climb over loose and wet rocks quite nicely! Next Saturday I'll be trying them at 15-17 psi to see what the differance is performance on the same trails. This will be the second time running these tires on the trail, so I'm still experimenting with psi levels.

Overall, I'd say that I'm very happy with these tires!

Last edited by pdw; 04-23-2004 at 12:10 PM..
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of rims do you have. I don't want to waste $$ on bead locks if I don't need 'em. I've only seen one or two 33" tires that came off the rim. I've seen alot of 35"s.
BTW... I saw that Goodyear has a rebate good until 5/1/04. $50 rebate on a set of 4 mt/r.
Cha ching!
ARB Front Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 04-23-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
JNC995
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm about to get a set of MT/Rs and this is the cheapest I can find them for. What about you? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....rangler+MT%2FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Boy View Post
my two cents > your two cents.
JNC995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sues TJ
What kind of rims do you have. I don't want to waste $$ on bead locks if I don't need 'em. I've only seen one or two 33" tires that came off the rim. I've seen alot of 35"s.
BTW... I saw that Goodyear has a rebate good until 5/1/04. $50 rebate on a set of 4 mt/r.
Cha ching!
Well, I think that there are a select few Jeepers that actually need bead lock rims, and at this point, I'm not one of them, yet! I'm running the rockcrawler black steel rims that 4WPW sells with there package tire deals. I think that they were $40 each=$200 for a set of five.
I've had a 30" tire pulled off it's bead when aired down to wheel. In most cases, I don't think that the tire size that matters, it's what you are doing to lose your bead.

The MTR's are great tires! They perform well in the snow, rocks and dirt. I bought X-Terrains because I wanted to see if they really worked as well they claim, cheaper than the BFG's and Goodyears, and to be a little differant than everybody else out here in California.
Warn bumpers F & R/Warn gas tank skid
4 point harnesses/Poison Spyder sliders
Warrior Corner Guards/JKS Quick Disco's & telescoping front track bar/M.O.R.E. Rear traction bar/PSC ram steering
Borla header/Turbo City intake/Flowmaster muffler/new cat
all propelled by a [B]MONSTER [/B] 2.5l I4
pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I got my MT'R's at Discount Tires. You can also get a better price than the ones shown on their internet site. I went back and forth between Four Wheel Parts and Discount Tires and the next thing I new I was down to $135 each for the 32 x 11.50 x 15 (price includes mounting, balance and stems). I went with Discount Tires and the tires also came with lifetime balance and rotation.

If you buy the tires from Tire Rack you have to pay shipping and handling and then pay someone to mount and balance them. I checked them out a couple of time and have always been able to beat the soundly by wheeling and dealing with a local shop.
Unread 04-25-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
lawdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91
I have the 32 x 11.50 GY MT'R's on my YJ. So far I have about 12k miles on them with very little wear. If they continue to wear at the same rate I'm guessing I will get at least 40k out of them. Pretty good for an aggressive tire I think. I will likely go the 33 MT'R's when these wear out. Anyone considering 33's might think twice about the x-terrains. They are actually 31's on steriods (31.4" in diameter). I'm not sure why they call them a 33. Most tires are a touch undersized, but this particular x-terrain is way undersized in my opinion. The same size BFG and GY tires are 32.8 and 33.7 inches in diameter.

My YJ is also my daily driver so my MT'R's see a lot of both highway and offoad use. They are also suprisingly quiet, much quieter than the BFG counter part. I don't know how they compare to the x-terrains.
Holy, ***** man!!!! I have a set of these (the 33 x 12.50 R15 Xterrains) on order. After seeing your post I went to the Pro Comp Website to check your facts. There specs say that tire has an overall diameter of only 31.4 inches and a tread width of only 9.9 inches!!!!! Uhhh...I didn't pay for a 31.5 x 10!!!!!!!

Now, hopefully there's been an error. In fact, the web page is kind screwy. It took me a while to figure out, but if you look at the chart headings, there are two lines. See how in the first column, the word Part is above the word Number? Skip to the fourth column where it says Max Sidewall. I think that's just supposed to be Sidewall. If you slide Max to the right and put it in the fifth column over the words Load Lbs. it makes more sense. That entire row should be slid one column to the right. Unfortunately, there is no contact info on the website to see if the specs for that tire are correct.

Does anybody know how to contact Pro Comp so I can see if I'm really getting the tires I want???
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Well... I found my tires the cheapest on Tirerack... then went to Discount Tire and they beat that price on 5 tires and wheels so I was happy... So far the MT/R's are just fine going to and from school... Not that noisy and they do wonders off-road!

And as for the post above.... I have heard that Procomps sizes ARE smaller than listed which is sad The BFGoodrich tires are supposedly a bit larger (or just closer to what they are listed as) and the Goodyear tires are a little smaller than the BFGoodrich tires...

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]

Last edited by BzJeep; 04-25-2004 at 07:24 PM..
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #13
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What a rip off. So, do I have to buy 35" tires to get 33"s?? What a joke! Judging from everyones response, the Pro Comps are too new for a real desicion. The only thing I know is that I'm going to get ripped off in size.
I'll most likely go for the MT/Rs. With the $50 rebate and the proven performance, I can wait until my next set to worry about the pro comps.
As for the TireRack, they don't charge for mounting and balancing if you buy rims at the same time. I bought a set of rims and tires for my other car and they shipped them ready to roll. They don't have the black rock crawlers on their web site, but I know they more rims than they post. I can always get 20's and roll up to ice house or siertrek... Pink fur seat covers... fuzzy dice....boom box to go with my air suspension.. The shame that some people to their SUVs....
Thanks for the replies....
ARB Front Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 04-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
lawdawg

Okay, I feel better now. I found a phone number for Pro Comp in an ad in JP Magazine. I called and Eileen told me that the specs for a 33x12.50 R15 are actually 32.4" Overall Diameter, 12.5" Overall Width and 9.9 inches of tread width. They were apparently unaware of the error on the website and said they would change it immediately.

I also drove down to the shop where my tires are waiting for my lift to arrive. I put a tape measure to them. It's hard to be exact with a slight crown on the tire. Also, they haven't been mounted yet, but they are definately larger than 31.4.

The guy at the shop says that he hasn't really noticed the Pro Comps running small either. Of course, he has MT Baja Claws on his truck.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That typo has been on their web site for almost two years now (that's when I noticed it) and no one at Pro-Comp has noticed it before? Wow...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.