Powder coat aluminum wheels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Powder coat aluminum wheels?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Powder coat aluminum wheels?

I'm ready to upgrade to 33x10.5's tires from 31's and looking hard for a black aluminum 15x8 wheel with 4.5" backspacing. There aren't many aluminum or alloy wheels I have found with the 4.5" backspacing (that I like) but found these and thought they would look great powder coated black ...if aluminum can be powder coated?

Summit Racing SUM-531-5865PS - Summit Racing® Quick 8 Wheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yep, they can. Had my factory wheels from my last unlimited done in black from a local metal shop which does their own powder coating for 25 bucks a wheel. Came out great!
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
+Crusader+

It is less expensive to rattle can them ...

If you don't go offroad much (which can potentially and usually scrape the finish) then I can see paying extra for powdercoating, especially if laid on thick with a nice 'clear' type protective layer.

It's usually about $75^ per wheel, around here ...
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Kiser10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

$75!? It's $18 a rim here!!
Kiser10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Its cheaper to go to an Eastwood catalog and buy the hot shot powder coat set-up and do them yourself. Just get them blasted, And and you can use a home oven to bake them. Not too hard and you will have enough to re-powder them if needed down the road. Good luck
Unread 01-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #6
dvdsjk
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just a quick note on the do it youself job, it may work the same, but if you read into it the process items should be cured only in an oven not in your home and not used for foods afterwards.
dvdsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk View Post
Just a quick note on the do it youself job, it may work the same, but if you read into it the process items should be cured only in an oven not in your home and not used for foods afterwards.
Of course not the oven you just cooked in. Just a refrence as a "home" oven is all that's needed. I piced one up for $25 dollars for that purpose only. Good point, should have added that.
Unread 01-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiser10 View Post
$75!? It's $18 a rim here!!
Yeah, the guys here like to make some decent profit off us ...
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My two sets of aluminum wheels both came as bare polished aluminum. I had them professionally painted, I think powdercoat process. One set is a Summit Fast Five set and another set is an American Racing Ansen Sprint set.

The wheel painter bead blasted both sets of wheels to give enough texture for the paint to stick good. Then one coat of grey metallic followed by one clear coat. They turned out great.

That was 2 years ago and they're still holding up great. In fact, holding up better than stock Moabs did (in regard to winter road salts). The Moabs were slightly pitted from winter road salts and/or metallic brake dust after two years. The aftermarket paint job on my AR aftermarket wheels has not yet pitted at all after two years.

So yes, you can have wheel professionally painted and it works out great. I think it is a powder coat process, but not sure of the details of the application process.

I chose metallic grey plus clearcoat on top, but they had every color you can imagine to choose from.
Summit Racing's wheels (Summit brand wheels) are excellent wheels made by Ultra for Summit, but with more BS than Ultra makes wheels under it's own brand name. Also, Summit brand wheels offer many more styles than Ultra. So really, it's like getting a much wider selection of Ultra wheel styles and more selection of BS, and all for a great price.
I highly recommend Ultra wheels for quality and price. I also prefer the 15 X 8 with 4.5 BS like you do.
I have previously bought Summit Fast 5 wheels (formerly called Summit Star), and I've also bough American Racing wheels.

Summit brand wheels and also American Racing wheels are the two brands that offer a good selection of aluminum wheels that are 15 X 8 with 3.75, 4.5, 5, and 5.5 BS. Summit also offers 15 X 10 with a similarly excellent range of BS choices. That is a very impressive range of BS choices for one piece cast alum wheels (as opposed to the weaker two piece welded designs).

Another source of highend 15 X 8 aluminum wheels with 4.5 BS is the strongest company of all, Alcoa. I mean sold under Alcoa's name, not MT or other brandnames with low BS. Alcoa no longer makes 15 X 8 wheels, but they are still available for sale at a few websites that are trying to clear out what's in stock. Great sale prices can be had, though even on sale an Aloca forged wheel (super strong and still light) still costs more than any brand of cast wheel at regular price.

So there are your 3 brands (TIKO) of 15 X 8 aluminum wheels with 4.5 BS. Summit brand (several styles), American Racing (several styles), and Aloca (one style). I own Summit and AR and love them both. I think the Alcoa are my favorties (but of course, but who can afford them?), and the AR are my second favorite. While the Summit are my last choice of those 3, they are still very excellent and well made and are the most affordable. The reason I like the AR better than Summit is soley because I love the style of my AR Ansen Sprint wheels. Functionally the Summit are just as good.

Some guys might prefer the look of the Summit over the AR Ansen, but I prefer the Ansen. Even so, I do love the Summit wheels too, and if someday I buy some 15 X 10 wheels someday for some 34 X 11.5 R15 tires (yes I found some tires like that), it will be the Summit Fast Five 15 X 10 with 5.5 BS that I'll get for those tires.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rattle can will work, to a fashion, but not very durable.

Professional wheel painting in Oregon (where I had mine done) cost $60 a wheel for one coat, but the guy threw in a second coat (the clear coat) for free since I was having him do two sets of wheels and they were new wheels (clean wheels - easy to work with).
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
theremikegoes
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
Rattle can will work, to a fashion, but not very durable.

Professional wheel painting in Oregon (where I had mine done) cost $60 a wheel for one coat, but the guy threw in a second coat (the clear coat) for free since I was having him do two sets of wheels and they were new wheels (clean wheels - easy to work with).
Have any pics of your jeep with the fast fives? I'm considering the same...

I know... ancient thread, having a hard time finding pics of what I'm looking for.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.