Poll: What size Cooper ATW do you want? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Poll: What size Cooper ATW do you want?

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gears now available in stock at JeepHut

View Poll Results: What ATW tire size would you like to have?
235/75R15C 4 15.38%
30 x 9.5 R15C 8 30.77%
31 x 10.5 R15 5 19.23%
235/75R16C (29.75" actual diam) 0 0%
245/75R16C (30.5" actual diam) 5 19.23%
245/78R16C (31" actual diam) 0 0%
245/80R16C (31.4" actual diam) 0 0%
265/75R16C (31.5" actual diam) 0 0%
255/75R17C (32" actual diam) 5 19.23%
Other (please post the size you'd want). 10 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Poll: What size Cooper ATW do you want?

(You may vote for multiple sizes, if you want to.)

Cooper recently released a new AT called ATW, which means AT with Winter traction It's an AT with RMA Winter traction rating (snow flake/mountain symbol). It is intended for year round use, including Winter conditions.

It is essentially a Cooper AT3 with slightly softer tread compound, slightly smaller treadblocks and voids, and twice as many sipes. The Winter traction will be much greater than Cooper AT3. Mud ability will be a bit less than AT3 due to slightly smaller voids. ATW won't be quite as durable on rock surfaces as AT3 because ATW has a slightly softer tread compound and more sipes, but the ATW is still (said by Cooper) as durable AT as most brands of ATs.
In my experience, Cooper AT3 is very good in mud (for an AT). So I'm not concerned about the ATW have slightly less mud ability than AT3. The ATW's mud abiility will be good enough for me, probably as good or better than a typical AT.

I currently own AT3. I'm quite impressed with it on road and off road, especilally in mud. However, I'd like more traction on packed snow and ice. I think the ATW will deliver that without losing much mud ability.
AT3 has 55,000 mile tread warranty. ATW has a 50,000 mile tread warranty. Those warranties include LT sizes, as well as P. So the ATW has a good tread warranty, indicating it's tread is reasonably durable. The AT3 has an even better tread warranty indicatiing its treads is most durable. Very few other brands offer tread warranties as good as Cooper does for LT size ATs.

At this time Cooper ATW is only available in a few sizes of passenger P sizes and a few LT R16, R17, and R18 sizes (load D and E) for 3/4 ton trucks and 1 ton trucks.

Cooper told me they are interested in tire size requests. Requests made this year will be considered for production next year.

What size(s) would you like added to the ATW lineup in 2015? Please vote in the poll for the size(s) you'd use on your Jeep or other vehicle.

When the poll is finished, I'll contact Cooper and email them a link to this thread/poll so they can use it for customer feedback to help them decide which new sizes to add for 2015 (and possibly 2016).

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ties/index.htm

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/coo...ire-2014-09-16

A/T3:

A/TW:

Unread 09-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The 265/75R16C actual diam would probably be 31.6", but I mistyped it as 31.5". A minor screwup on my part.
Unread 09-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I got a question.....why is Cooper going to manufacture a tire that they wont make money on? Or manufacture a tire that wont be popular? I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but I worked in the tire business for a while and learned a lot about it... A company like Cooper is not going to go out of their way to build a mold specifically for a 245 78 16 ( I can tell you now, that size does not exist nor will it ever) just because a poll on a forum thinks it can benefit .000000000001% of their business....Also, putting tire diameter on there is pointless. Every tire manufacturer uses different molds (for the most part). And every single one measures differently and is constructed differently. Just because a tire says 245 75 16 doesnt mean that it measures up to 30.5" even though it may on paper. Some discrepancies can be pretty major, which is why some AWD systems are finicky on newer cars like Subaru that relies on wheel speed sensors for their traction control/AWD system. But that's a different conversation.
cumminsjeep24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They probably won't make a mold for a 245/78R16, but no harm in asking. It could be a popular size for small SUVs. I think it would be a useful size, especially for Winter.

Most of the sizes in the poll have a good chance of being made, if people request them.

=====

As for the size 245/75R16C, it would likely be 30.5" because that's the height of the existing Cooper AT3 load C in that size. The ATW will probably be same dimensions as AT3.

Here is why I say that: Sizes that already exist in both AT3 & ATW are exact same dimensions. So it's likely that trend will continue for new sizes of ATW.
Unread 09-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I should have also included in the poll:

235/75R16C (which would be approx 29.8 x 9.25 R16, if similar dimensions to Cooper AT3 in that size)

It's to late to add it to the poll. So if you'd like to have a 235/75R16C, please make a post about it.
Unread 09-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

215/70R16
and
215/65R17
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

If these are as good in the mud as you claim the AT3s are they should make em in a 38x14.50-15 as they would be sure to take over the mud bogging and rock crawling world!

Ya know, if they can handle 4" of shoe sucking mud uphill in 2wd and no slippage with open diff in the small size you run, think how great they we do on a well set up rock crawler or mud rig.

Frickin' AWESOME! I want some!

Heck, make em in 35x12.50-15 and 37x12.50-15!
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
jadmt
2014 JK Wrangler 

285/75-17
jadmt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
ODubhGhaill
2014 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODubhGhaill View Post
215/70R16
and
215/65R17
Forgot to add, thanks for doing this Charley3. My requested sizes are for Jeep Patriot owners that want to keep the stock tire size, don't want to change out wheels, and who don't want to roll the "will it rub" dice with 225 and up.
ODubhGhaill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #10
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a "couldn't care less" option?

It's my understanding from discussion with Falken guys that mold and retooling costs for particular sizes is multiples of what most would probably guess. No tire company is going to make a size unless their market research indicates very large sale volume. And their market research will be a lot broader and probably statically more accurate than a random pool on JF. If it's an interesting thought exercise for you then enjoy, but don't hold your breath for anything to happen from it.
Unread 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Is there a "couldn't care less" option?

It's my understanding from discussion with Falken guys that mold and retooling costs for particular sizes is multiples of what most would probably guess. No tire company is going to make a size unless their market research indicates very large sale volume. And their market research will be a lot broader and probably statically more accurate than a random pool on JF. If it's an interesting thought exercise for you then enjoy, but don't hold your breath for anything to happen from it.
There's several relatively main stream size options in the poll that might be made, and a Cooper rep told me they will add more sizes next year based on requests this year.

I already told the Cooper rep I'd like 30 x 9.5 R15 and he added it to the list of requests and he said it will be considered and might be made. Cooper already makes ST, STT, and AT3 in 30 x 9.5 R15. So why not also make that size ATW.

Most of the sizes in the poll have a good chance of being made.

But if you "couldn't care less", then why'd you post?
Unread 09-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

This went well
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

P225/75R16 would be nice for stock liberty.
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

You're kidding about the 245/78r16, right? I mean, if I were cooper I'd totally make a size that nobody has ever made.....ever. When this tire gets released it will be sold in the most common sizes of most LT trucks when they come off the showroom floor.

There. I passed business 101. Go me. I don't think your 12 post thread on JeepForum is going to make a difference in a tire that .001% of JeepForum members are going to run.
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Everyone, expect them to make them in the common p metric sizes or in sizes similar to the AT3. No reason to waste your breath or a post on a size that has never been made in the history of tires. This thread is pointless

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.