Please help an idiot buy new wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Please help an idiot buy new wheels

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
jfm_nbpt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Please help an idiot buy new wheels

2010 Sahara Unlimited stock setup. Stock tires are dead @51K so I'd like to add a new wheel/tire package. Jeep is run 98% on asphalt with a little bit of beach thrown in. Going for looks + wet road performance (SW Florida -- LOTS of rain).

Tire Rack: every single rim has an "important note" claiming irregular fitment and that a lift and/or fender modification is required. Not kidding.

Discount Tire Direct: absolutely no notes whatsoever! Apparently, every rim they sell fits right out of the box. Then, when you go to select tires, you either get the message that no tires will fit the rim, or you get a list of three or four overpriced Chinese knock-offs.

From reading these forums it appears the BF Goodrich T/A's are a good tire choice, and that dropping down to a 17" rim is also a good choice. All I want is a complete set drop shipped to my door that I can install myself.

So, what size tire should I purchase, and then what rim specs should I look out for to make sure they fit and will not rub anything?

I am looking for black rims to go with my charcoal paint, if anyone has any specific wheel recommendations to look at or websites that are more useful than those mentioned above. Thanks much.

jfm_nbpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
jfm_nbpt
2010 JK Wrangler 

Still confused, I went to a local shop and glad I did. Dick Cepek 17" DC-2's with BFG T/A 285-70-17's, installed with TPMS, for less than what any on-line retailer could deliver to my doorstep. Plus a $400 credit on my factory wheels. All good and the Jeep looks 100% better. Tires measure 32.75" and I was able to correct the speedometer with my Superchips. FYI these tires were exactly 1" larger than stock and I measured two tenths of a mile loss on the odometer per every ten miles.
jfm_nbpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.