Pics: 31" General Grabber Red Letters - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Pics: 31" General Grabber Red Letters

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Reply
Unread 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
ZexGX
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yucca Valley, CA & Burbank, CA
Posts: 60
PICS: 31" General Grabber Red Letters

So I had a tire blowout/failure on the freeway from my 9 year old 31/10.5/15 Procomp A/T's - specifically, the one that had two plugs in it, one of which was in the SIDEWALL and over a year old. Decided it was time for an upgrade and got some 31/10.5/15 General Grabber Red Letter tires. Apparently the FJ Cruiser guys think they're pretty good. I was surprised how quiet they were on the road, and how much sand traction they had. Seemed to do fine when puddle jumping, in rain, and in a sleet flurry while at highway speeds. One thing I noticed is that they are heavy SOBs. Didn't get a chance to test it in the snow (I wish!). Ignore the two rack lights - just mocked up some crappy ones to see if they cleared in parking garages, but don't have the budget right now to buy four (especially after buying these tires... lol!):




^ had a bunch of junk in the back...

More pics later...

__________________
'87 XJ 4 door 4.0L 4x4 420k+ miles - not enough mods
'99 Firebird V6+4L60E w/BAR certified LS1+4L60E swap - as many mods as the Jeep

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-28-2011 at 03:26 PM..
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
rawhide79
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZexGX
So I had a tire blowout/failure on the freeway from my 9 year old 31/10.5/15 Procomp A/T's - specifically, the one that had two plugs in it, one of which was in the SIDEWALL and over a year old. Decided it was time for an upgrade and got some 31/10.5/15 General Grabber Red Letter tires. Apparently the FJ Cruiser guys think they're pretty good. I was surprised how quiet they were on the road, and how much sand traction they had. Seemed to do fine when puddle jumping, in rain, and in a sleet flurry while at highway speeds. One thing I noticed is that they are heavy SOBs. Didn't get a chance to test it in the snow (I wish!). Ignore the two rack lights - just mocked up some crappy ones to see if they cleared in parking garages, but don't have the budget right now to buy four (especially after buying these tires... lol!):

^ had a bunch of junk in the back...

More pics later...
hey zex...

still liking your red-letter Grabbers?

any more pics? really been eyeing these to put on my TJ, but can't find much about them here...
rawhide79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
ZexGX
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yucca Valley, CA & Burbank, CA
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhide79 View Post
hey zex...

still liking your red-letter Grabbers?

any more pics? really been eyeing these to put on my TJ, but can't find much about them here...
Yup, still like 'em. The wet and dry grip is impressive and the road noise is a lot less than I expected even after break-in. At street PSI, I feel very confident going into corners with these and have even performed a few (intentional) Tokyo-Drift style maneuvers in a coated-concrete-floor parking structure and gripped all the way through street corners at double +5MPH the suggested speed (yes, in my 25 year old 4WD SUV.. with suspension upgrades), so I know they handle heavy sidewall loads just fine and have very good street grip.

I still have not aired these down and taken them on a trail though, since I had a problem with my custom front driveshaft and haven't had time to take it to a driveline specialty shop to get a bearing replaced that crumbled to dust when replacing the u-joints. Working a 9-6 really isn't that great when you can't find specialty shops open on weekends.

In dirt/sand when moving, they have really good grip. Water? Not really much of a problem. I was more worried about my K&N style cone filter sucking in water than I was about hydroplaning when driving through the flooded runoff channels on the side of the paved streets when it was pouring rain here in Los Angeles.

Freezing temps? Didn't get to drive through snow, but they perform similarly in cold temps on pavement and on dirt.

My biggest gripe is that these suckers are heavy. My MPG went down, it is slower, the steering feels heavier, and kinda wobbly when making lane changes (took some getting used to). Maybe it's just my poor stock power steering pump and box. Although, for what it's worth, I feel pretty safe running over massive potholes with these 10-ply tires.

For a comparison, I would equate them to a Nitto performance car tire like the NT05 (compared to many other truck/SUV tires). Grippy, "expensive", and they look interesting. Tread compound is on the soft side and similar to how a Nitto NT555 feels, or somewhere between that and an NT05/Potenza RE050.

Ah, the joys of the urban jungle. The Fake Jeep Cruiser guys have a good thread for these tires in 33"+ over on one of their forums if you Google it.

I will try to take some more pics and test out the front JKS discos that I've never used.
__________________
'87 XJ 4 door 4.0L 4x4 420k+ miles - not enough mods
'99 Firebird V6+4L60E w/BAR certified LS1+4L60E swap - as many mods as the Jeep
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
theducksguts
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Duluth, Minnesota
Posts: 2,982
That is a really nice looking XJ. I love those old Renix engines. So simple. Missing my 88. Try to keep it nice!
__________________
00 XJ Sport 0331 Victim
99 XJ Sport
98 TJ

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
ZexGX
Registered User
1987 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yucca Valley, CA & Burbank, CA
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducksguts View Post
That is a really nice looking XJ. I love those old Renix engines. So simple. Missing my 88. Try to keep it nice!
Thanks, compared to my Firebird this thing is a true POS turd, but I still love it too much to get rid of it (thanks to all of the mods it has). This XJ has A TON of miles, hackjob mods that the two previous owners did (like the stock wiring harness delete and re-add a different harness but with crimp connectors, minus a fuse box... wtf?)., and is in need of a re-paint. I tried polishing and waxing part of it a few times. The paint was still a matte finish after the polish and wax. haha. The body is straight though, so at the very least I'm happy about that.
__________________
'87 XJ 4 door 4.0L 4x4 420k+ miles - not enough mods
'99 Firebird V6+4L60E w/BAR certified LS1+4L60E swap - as many mods as the Jeep
ZexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.