Pennsylvania Snow Tires for a TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Pennsylvania Snow Tires for a TJ

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
DeafJeep

Pennsylvania Snow Tires for a TJ

I am looking at a possible TJ and live in Pennsylvania.

What kind of tires work best in the snow ? I would use my Jeep for work during the weekdays on normal pavement.

On the weekends, I am not looking to go in the woods but would like to go ride my Polaris ATV 4 wheeler and my Jeep will have an ATV trailer.

Maybe in the summertime, I would go 4x4 mud riding. How high can I legally lift my tires ?

I will be a first time Jeep owner.

DeafJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does it have stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?

Hopefully it has stock wheels. I think those are best.

If it has 15 x 7 stock wheels, put 30 x 9.5 R15 size tires.

If it has 15 x 8 stock wheels, put 31 x 10.5 R15 size tires.

If it has 16 x 7 stock wheels, put 245/75R15 size tires. That's a 31 x 9.5 R15 tire.

All those will fit on a stock TJ with no modifications needed. i.e. - no lift needed, no regearing needed. Good stuff. The 9.5" wide tires will fit perfectly with your stock fender flares too. I'm not sure if 10.5" wide tires fit under stock flares, but if not, get some used TJ Rubicon flares (a little wider) if you can find them, or buy new ones.

9.5" wide tires will be ideal on Winter roads, and OK on mud. On highway a 9.5" wide tire is ideal for gas mileage, acceleration, quick braking, and won't hydroplane on wet highway.

10.5" wide tires will be OK on Winter roads, and ideal on mud. On highway a 10.5" wide tire works OK, but will sometimes hydroplane a little on wet highway when you hit a puddle at high speed.

---

I live in Western WA State (very wet highways most of year) and lots of mud off road, and some snow and ice in Winter. I prefer 9.5" wide tires because I drive on highway a lot, especially wet highway, and some times snow and ice. I occasionally have to deal with mud off road too. I prefer 9.5" wide tires because highway and Winter road traction are my priorities, and the 9.5 wide are good enough for the moderate mud situations I occasionally encounter.

But for deep dry sand at beach, a 9.5" wide tire sinks to much and struggles, while a 10.5" floats on too of sand and has an easy time driving on sand.

I don't drive on sand much. When I do, I air down the tires and then the 9.5 are adequate on sand. If I drove on sand more often, I'd want 10.5" wide tires.

---

As far as treads so, Cooper AT3 is (IMO) the best AT and is available in all 3 sizes mentioned. It is excellent on dry and wet highway, good on Winter roads, adequate for moderate mud, and excellent on sand.

One step more aggressive is Duratrac, which is available in 2 of the 3 sizes I mentioned.
It is good on dry and wet highway, good on Winter roads, good for moderate mud, and OK on sand.

---

P.S. - The only tire tread that excellent on Winter roads is a dedicated Winter tire, but that's not ideal for your other needs.

Hankook makes a Winter tire that can be run year round and makes a good all terrain tire. I run them year round on my Buick car and they do good on highway; great on Winter roads, gravel roads, and sand; and good for mild mud and marginally adequate for moderate mud. I run them on my car because at the time I needed tires, there were no all terrain tires in a size that fit my car. Now there are Cooper AT3 sizes that fit my car. Next time I'll put AT3 on my car. The AT3 rides as soft and quiet as the Hankook snow tire, but the AT3 is tougher and somewhat better for mud.

For my Jeep XJ, I like both Cooper AT3 and Duratrac, but Duratrac not made in my size. AT3 is made in my size. So it's an easy choice for my Jeep: Cooper AT3 in 30 X 9.5 R15.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A stock TJ with any of the 3 tire sizes mentioned will drive perfect on road. You won't lose any on road performance, and you will gain off road performance, and you don't have to spend money on anything but tires, and no worries with law or cops because no lift and tires are under-covered by flares.

I had TJ and now an XJ. On my TJ I tried various size tires from stock up to 33. By the time the modifications were made and lots of money spent for 33s, I finally realized I like my TJ best with 31" tires. I like my XJ best with 30" tires. For a daily driver, 30 and 31 tall tires are the best, and they're pretty good off road.

You don't need lift for 31" tall tires, but if you want to, Old Man Emu makes a nice lift that is 2" or 2.5" front (depending on spring choice). I suggest the 2" light load front springs. It is 2.5" lift rear.

Rancho makes a nice 2.5" front and rear (if you choose their lighest, softest springs).

If you lift, get Old Man Emu N66C comfort shocks front (if no winch and stock bumper). For rear shocks I suggest the Rancho RS9000XL. Those will give a soft comfortable ride.

That ^ is if you have the urge to lift. You don't need to lift for 31" tires.

---

If you do lift, do NOT lift front above 2.5". Ideal is 2". Any higher than 2.5" and expensive problems might occur with steering and-or alignment. Any higher than 3" and problems are guranteed, IMO.

Yes the problems of higher lift can be corrected, but it is expensive if you hire work done, and no guarantee the work gets done correctly. Lifting to high has ruined many a Jeep (or Jeep owner) because some times the problems don't get solved, or cost to much.
Unread 05-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The best all purpose snow and ice tire is the Bridgestone Blizzak. Good news: they are cheap as hell for a TJ.

For really ugly conditions, Firstone Winterforce, studded on all four wheels. Also cheap as hell.
Unread 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'l add that some Winter tires today are able to be used year round, if you don't add studs, and they are so good on snow-ice that they don't need studs, and they make decent all purpose, all terrain tires.
The Hankook i-Pike Winter tires (like I have on my car) are good for year round use and are rated to last around 40K miles.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are made to be used in Winter only, according to reviews I read, and typically last 20K miles.

Some Winter tires are made for year round use (and make a decent AT tire too). Other Winter tires are made for Winter only (and are way to soft and weak to use as an AT)..
True all terrain tires and some hybrid tires (part AT, part MT) are good enough on Winter roads to serve as a Winter tire, and some are even rated by gov as Winter traction devices (i.e. - rated as Winter tires).

Winter tires typically are guaranteed to last around 40K miles if run year round. AT tires typically are rated to last 50K to 55K miles. Hybrid tires typically are rated to last 50K to 55K.

A Winter tire is excellent in Winter conditions, good off road (other than rock crawling), and excellent on highway.

A good AT is reasonably good in Winter conditions, good off road, and excellent on highway.

A good hybrid is very good in Winter conditions, excellent off road, and good on highway.
Unread 05-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

DeafJeep (OP), are you reading this thread?
Unread 05-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
DeafJeep

Yes Charley, I just read this morning at 5:30 a.m. Upon waking up to get ready for work, I had to review what I learned so far in various postings and did not realize I had posted this. Have been busy working at Goodwill & various jobs. I read & post when I have free moments usually in the evenings.

Thank you for the replies.
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
DeafJeep

Hi Charley, your inbox has been full for several days.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafJeep View Post
Hi Charley, your inbox has been full for several days.
Sorry. I was away from forum for a few days.

I'll deleted some PMs and made room in my Inbox.

I can be PM'd now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.