Painted Ravines - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Painted Ravines

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #61
saxart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to see someone PHOTOSHOP that charcoal color onto a Jeep picture with Canyons.

I tried to do it myself, but lets just say that I'm not talented enough.... LOL!

'99 Wrangler Sport: 2.5" Old Man Emo lift and shocks, adjustable trackbars, Quick-Disko sway links, rollin on 31" BFG A/Ts
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #62
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Not sure if the OP ever checks this thread, but I'm interested in picking up a set of canyons for my ZJ and doing this.

What did you do to keep the edge silver? The only thing I can think of is to lay down painters tape carefully around the whole edge, or maybe laying it down, and then cutting it out with an exacto? Just wondering what you did.

Thanks!

Here's my photoshop of what it should look like:

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #63
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
Not sure if the OP ever checks this thread, but I'm interested in picking up a set of canyons for my ZJ and doing this.

What did you do to keep the edge silver? The only thing I can think of is to lay down painters tape carefully around the whole edge, or maybe laying it down, and then cutting it out with an exacto? Just wondering what you did.

Thanks!

Here's my photoshop of what it should look like:
I put painters tape down, rubbed it on nice and firm, then cut it with an X-acto.

Your good with photoshop. That looks awesome. I've been trying to photoshop my Mustang's wheels to match the satin black trim with silver edge, but can't quite get it right. If ya feel like giving it a whirl that would be awesome. If not no biggy as I know it can be time consuming.

If ya have more questions let me know.

By the way, those are ravines on your ride. The canyons would be harder to make the edge silver because they don't have a defined transition. Canyons look like this:

Tyler
35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #64
clark3rd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35sUnlimited View Post
Painted the center section of my ravines this weekend. I like the way it turned out, and thought I'd share some pics.

The paint is by Duplicolor, and is specifically for wheels. Masking the edge was hard, but other than that it is straight forward.

I have the same Unlimited and want to paint my wheels as well. Your wheels look awesome. How did you tape or mark the outside of the rim so evenly? I think that really sets the wheels off and would like to do the same.

2006 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
clark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #65
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark3rd View Post
I have the same Unlimited and want to paint my wheels as well. Your wheels look awesome. How did you tape or mark the outside of the rim so evenly? I think that really sets the wheels off and would like to do the same.

Thanks. Sorry for the delay. Was gone out of town.

I applied painters tape, the blue stuff, pressed it on nice and firm and then used a new sharp blade in the x-acto to cut it to the transition line. Good luck and post up when ya get 'em done.

Tyler
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #66
clark3rd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. Sorry for the delay. Was gone out of town.

I applied painters tape, the blue stuff, pressed it on nice and firm and then used a new sharp blade in the x-acto to cut it to the transition line. Good luck and post up when ya get 'em done.

Tyler
Awesome. Thanks. That will take some time, but I'm going to give it a shot. Your LJ looks great.

2006 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
clark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM   #67
05zx10r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

tyler how do you think your would have looked if you hit the entire wheel rather than leaving the lip. I do not have any chrome/silver accents on my jeep, just black and charcoal. so i think the all charcoal wheel would look tight.
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #68
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05zx10r View Post
tyler how do you think your would have looked if you hit the entire wheel rather than leaving the lip. I do not have any chrome/silver accents on my jeep, just black and charcoal. so i think the all charcoal wheel would look tight.
I'm sure it'd look great. If you do some searching on here I think you can find some.

For me it was more a matter of function than looks. I like my wheels dynamically balanced (both sides). With the lip left alone I didn't have to worry about touching up when the tires get balanced again. Additionally, the lip is the most vulnerable to damage, and the factory clear is easier to fix.

Tyler
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #69
05zx10r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

good points. did not consider that.
Unread 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #70
Onion22
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i got a set of ravines, i'm proly gonna sell, im thinking about painting em though before i sell em though, if i do i'll be sure to post some pics, anyone interested... i mite just make a coffee table wit em though

White Rubi LJ, 6spd, 35" BFG KM2's My LJ Build Attempt
Onion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #71
TOLjeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bumping up this thread looking to do mine. I have a Patriot Blue Wrangler and how do you think the ravines would look with Glossy Black with the polished lip and center caps?
Mopar Rubicon Rockers,Warn Front Bumper, Bestop Rear Bumper, Banks Exhaust, K&N FIPK
Next: 1.25 Inch Body lift, SAVVY Corner Armor and Steering, PSC Rocker Knockers
Down the Road: Ford 8.8, 3 Inch Springs, 35" Mud Grapplers on Black 20's
TOLjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #72
UTAH

I painted my Sahara rims with the Duplicolor Graphite (on Duplicolor primer). It took a while to tape off the rims and then I put on two coats primer and two coats of paint.

Bill
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #73
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLjeep View Post
Bumping up this thread looking to do mine. I have a Patriot Blue Wrangler and how do you think the ravines would look with Glossy Black with the polished lip and center caps?
I think it would look great. Post up when your done.
Unread 05-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #74
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Utah,
Those look frigging incredible!!!!
Unread 05-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #75
UTAH

Quote:
Utah,
Those look frigging incredible!!!!
Thank you.

Probably one of the cheapest mods I've done. It cost a whopping $12 to do five wheels. That's $2.40 a wheel.

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.