Painted Ravines - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Painted Ravines

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-04-2006, 06:44 AM   #16
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine,
I don't have a link, but the spray bomb cans have good instructions. I noticed you can buy the Duplicolor wheel paints at Walmart, Discount Auto, etc...

Todd,
Go right ahead. Steal it. I stuck it on here 'cause I thought It'd give people more ideas. I noticed Duplicolor sells black, gun metal, and aluminum colors. I think the black masked off the same way might look good.

Everybody,
Thanks again for the kind words.
Tyler

Oh, almost forgot. I did test it all out on my spare first. that way if I didn't like it I could always by a tire cover. Anyhow, now I wouldn't hesitate to do all five at once

35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 07:37 AM   #17
Tdad

I never liked the Ravine wheels until now. Those look great.
Can you give a little more detail on the prep work? Did you wet sand them? Just enought to scuff them, or did you try to take the clear coat off?
Tdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #18
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdad
I never liked the Ravine wheels until now. Those look great.
Can you give a little more detail on the prep work? Did you wet sand them? Just enough to scuff them, or did you try to take the clear coat off?

Thanks. I have new respect for them now also. lol

Process is as follows: I took the wheels off the jeep, sanded with 320 wet/dry to prep the surface (basically scratching/scuff the clearcoat up) for adhesion, wash with soap and water, let dry, mask off tire and any parts of the wheel you don't want painted, clean areas to be painted with cleaner/degreaser, spray 2 light coats then a medium coat of color(min.10 minutes max. 1 hour between coats). On top of that I put 2 layers of clear. Next time I rotate the tires I might scuff 'em up a little and put another coat or two of clear to make 'em like glass.

Was all easy except masking the edge. Took a little time is all.

Tyler
Unread 08-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #19
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

To revive this old thread, how has the paint held up while offroading? I've marred up my Canyons so far, and wouldn't mind repainting them to a black or some darker color to go with my Jeep a bit better.

That is how my Jeep sits now. I think black would look good, but I really don't want the steel wheels.

Your input on how well the paint holds up while wheeling would be appreciated.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2006, 04:55 PM   #20
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl
To revive this old thread, how has the paint held up while offroading? I've marred up my Canyons so far, and wouldn't mind repainting them to a black or some darker color to go with my Jeep a bit better.

That is how my Jeep sits now. I think black would look good, but I really don't want the steel wheels.

Mine have held up fine. No chipping, fading, or peeling. Paint those Canyons, and post some pics. Nice Rig!!!
Unread 08-04-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Those painted Ravines catch my eye everytime I see a picture of your Jeep posted. Almost makes me want to go get mine all banged up just so I have an excuse to paint them.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #22
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here are painted canyons for ya to check out on a friends jeep

Last edited by 35sUnlimited; 09-15-2006 at 06:31 AM..
Unread 09-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #23
TAMUJeep

Quote:

Whats the bar arounf the rear of your tub. Where did you get it? Nice jeep...empty your PM box
TAMUJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #24
Lostj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33'sUnlimited
Here are painted canyons for ya to check out

they look really good.

what tires are those btw??
lx015oɹd uǝpıun 'ɥɔuıʍ ql0009ɟɥ ؛ɹǝıɹɹɐɔ ǝɹıʇ pol 'sɹǝpuǝɟ ǝqnʇ pǝɹɐlɟ"5˙4ʇuʇ :˙ɔsıɯ ؛sɹǝpıls sʞɹoʍʞɔoɹɥs 'pıʞs ǝuıƃuǝ ɔıpǝɯdǝǝɾ 'pıʞs ɹoʇɐıpɐɹ s,ʎʇsnɹ 'ʞuɐʇsɐƃ puɐ xoq ƃuıɹǝǝʇs ʇɥƃıɹuǝƃ :spıʞs ؛pɐoɹɟɟo ɹoɟ sɹǝƃƃoq"53 'ʇǝǝɹʇs ɹoɟ s,ʇ/ɯdɯoɔoɹd"53 :sǝɹıʇ ؛lɯɯ"1 'lq"52˙1 'spq "2 :ʇɟıl ؛ɹǝʌoɔ uǝɯʞoɹ 'loods-ıuıɯ 'sǝʞɐɹq ɔsıp 'sʎollɐ ɥʇıʍ 44p ؛ɹǝʌoɔ ɹǝɥsnɹɔʞɔoɹ 'slɐǝs ǝlxɐ ɹǝʇno 'ɹǝʞɔol ǝıssnɐ 'sʎollɐ /ʍ 03p '6ı :ɾʇ,00
44p '03p '6ı :5ɾɔ,37
s,ʇ/ɐ ƃɟq"23 '44p '03p '8ʌ063 :5ɾɔ,47

The Swamp Things 4x4 Club Jeep Talk HomeGrown Offroad
Lostj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2006, 05:59 AM   #25
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo
they look really good.

what tires are those btw??
Not my jeep, but I believe they are a wild spirit, radial rvt, 32/11.5/15's
Unread 11-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Reviving this thread, in your opinion with my Jeep (green TJ above), which would look better, the black or the color 33Unlimited used?

Do you have any more closeups of your wheels after having wheeled it some? I think I could clean up my wheels a bit and fill some of the deep gashes with something (any recommendations to patch alloy scratches/gauges?) and paint em to make em look really sharp.

Just not sure which color would look best. I like the black, but don't know if I want to go THAT dark... opinions?
Green Jeep Member #155

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
Unread 11-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #27
Jeeper4ever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think if you went with just a true black like the picture that oreo posted it would look best. Since you have all the black armor why add another color in there? Just match the black you already have.... Just my opinion.
Jeeper4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #28
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Reviving this thread, in your opinion with my Jeep (green TJ above), which would look better, the black or the color 33Unlimited used?

Do you have any more closeups of your wheels after having wheeled it some? I think I could clean up my wheels a bit and fill some of the deep gashes with something (any recommendations to patch alloy scratches/gauges?) and paint em to make em look really sharp.

Just not sure which color would look best. I like the black, but don't know if I want to go THAT dark... opinions?
Go black. It will look great with your color scheme.

I did the charcoal color just to mix up the dark colored theme. The all black look is nice, but the truth is the top and flares end up grayish so I thought grayish wheels would work good on my all dark theme.

The finish still looks awesome on my wheels. I was just thinking how good they have held up this morning. I cleaned my jeep from 6-10am this morning (yea 4 hours in the cold!!!)after extracting my friends 03 power wagon last night from the the nasty *** power lines, mud bog, filth we have around here. I'll post pics of the mess and the wheels later.

Here's the pics:
The nasty:

The pretty:

Tyler

Last edited by 35sUnlimited; 11-16-2006 at 03:20 PM..
Unread 11-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #29
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I really like 33Unlimiteds with the dark gray. I think it would look good for you. But I think a flat black or semi-gloss would be ok too. I would keep away from the high gloss black. I don't think it looks very good on the other Jeep. But a flat black might be pretty cool.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #30
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tyler, sure looks like that paint has held up well. Good to know. I just need to decide if I want to go with black or the grey that you used. Which variety was it? Gloss or semi-gloss? Does it really matter if you adding the clearcoat to it?
Green Jeep Member #155

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.