Painted Moab wheels satin black...pics included - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Painted Moab wheels satin black...pics included

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundlessBinder View Post
Good looking bruised Jeep (black & blue)
Haha, yea it definatly took on the nickname of "bruiser" after I finished. In reference to the prep work that I did...I simply sanded the clear coat finish using 320 grit until they were dull and nice and smooth. Sucked all the dust up with my shop vac and cleaned them thorougly with Acetone. Then I put several light coats of self-etching primer and let that set for 30 minutes or so before I applied multiple light coats of the satin black (waiting 5 or so minutes in between coats ). I don't have any painting experience either but just took my time, which was also a challenge because I lack patience too. Sanding has to be one of the worst jobs, IMO, but if you put in some good elbow grease time and clean them really well you should get good results.

tufmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
jondotcom
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Cool thing about rattle-can paint is that if you get buyers remorse on the color, you can go back to the factory aluminum look with a bunch of rags and acetone (and hopefully the appropriate ventilation). Of course you'd have to re-clear if you dulled the factory finish.
jondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufmar View Post
Haha, yea it definatly took on the nickname of "bruiser" after I finished. In reference to the prep work that I did...I simply sanded the clear coat finish using 320 grit until they were dull and nice and smooth. Sucked all the dust up with my shop vac and cleaned them thorougly with Acetone. Then I put several light coats of self-etching primer and let that set for 30 minutes or so before I applied multiple light coats of the satin black (waiting 5 or so minutes in between coats ). I don't have any painting experience either but just took my time, which was also a challenge because I lack patience too. Sanding has to be one of the worst jobs, IMO, but if you put in some good elbow grease time and clean them really well you should get good results.
Hopefully it holds up alright. Aside from the normal rock gashes and scratches, I want the paint to stick. Thanks for the heads up man.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
ProjectWhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

looks great, i love that color of your jeep
ProjectWhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Agreed it was a long day when I did mine, but soooo worth it
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #21
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i believe the gray top came on only one year of the unlimiteds............... maybe 05?

i dig the wheels
ive kicked around painting my moabs black as well
i want to trade my black hard top for a gray one
i think it would look sharp, especially with gray fender flares
Such is the rule of honor.
open your eyes www.infowars.com
southtxdstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Hopefully it holds up alright. Aside from the normal rock gashes and scratches, I want the paint to stick. Thanks for the heads up man.
How are the wheels holding up over time? Also, did you unmount the tires from the wheels or just tape it off?

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #23
mooseknuckle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
How are the wheels holding up over time? Also, did you unmount the tires from the wheels or just tape it off?
x2....have classic II's that are a little worse for wear and wanted to paint black.

Also, how long until the paint is dry enough to put back on? I've learned via my front door of my house that although paint is dry to the touch, it's not fully cured for a while....at least that's what my weatherstripping told me....

So, with the rattlecan, how long until it's good to go?
mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

Wow, my old wheel thread raised from the dead.

UncleWilson--Got your PM, in reference to your question...They are holding up perfect, better than I thought they would. They barely have a nick on them and look like day 1. It just goes to show you that solid prep work goes along way.

I did not un-mount the tire/wheel(s). With the way my moabs and BFG's mated, I was able to get the tape to sit just a hair under the lip of the wheel, preventing any over spray onto the tire.

For dry/cure time: I probably waited atleast a good 24 Hrs with each wheel after it was done before I re-mounted them. The rattle can I used dried pretty fast.
Unread 07-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #25
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, my old wheel thread raised from the dead.

UncleWilson--Got your PM, in reference to your question...They are holding up perfect, better than I thought they would. They barely have a nick on them and look like day 1. It just goes to show you that solid prep work goes along way.

I did not un-mount the tire/wheel(s). With the way my moabs and BFG's mated, I was able to get the tape to sit just a hair under the lip of the wheel, preventing any over spray onto the tire.

For dry/cure time: I probably waited atleast a good 24 Hrs with each wheel after it was done before I re-mounted them. The rattle can I used dried pretty fast.
Thank you for getting back to us. That is so cool. After you primed and painted, did you clearcoat as well? I'm excited to make the moab's to look even better

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #26
tufmar
1998 ZJ 

No clear coat, that is why I went with the satin finish. A happy medium between flat and Glass IMO.
Unread 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #27
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No clear coat, that is why I went with the satin finish. A happy medium between flat and Glass IMO.
Did you just do the outside face or the inner too?

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #28
ejslacker

Looks great I think im going to do mine this weekend
ejslacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
Dukcaln

think I am going to do my wife Durango wheels like this. I like the satin black and didn't want to pay the cost of powder coating!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.