Nth Degree 4.5 inch Short Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Nth Degree 4.5 inch Short Arm

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-17-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nth Degree 4.5 inch Short Arm

Has anyone considered this lift kit? . . . I had wanted to get their long arm kit . . . but I am a wuss - and I don't really want to cut off the original control arm frame brackets --- that just seems like too much commitment --- long arm kits are also more expensive; and since I'm really just a "poser" it's hard to convince myself to put so much on the credit card .

Last edited by numchuck; 03-26-2007 at 06:41 AM..
numchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
ISurvivedNMU
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have been spending my last weekend getting the Rubicon Express 4.5 Super Flex kit installed. I might be wrong, but the RE kit gives you adjustable upper control arms. They are needed for a 4.5 kit! With that said, the RE kit is missing hte shock shifters... So the price is about the same, but i think you get more with RE. Contact some vendors on here, and you can get it at an even better price.
Unread 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM   #3
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Today, after many weeks, I finally took the plunge, and ordered the lift . . . I feel guilty . . . but I'm tired of lusting after others tall jeeps . . . Chris Velasco, at Nth, was very helpful, and explained the pros and cons of different systems ( actually there don't seem to be any cons with their systems other than $$$ ) . . . anyway I'll post pictures soon

Last edited by numchuck; 12-13-2006 at 09:25 PM..
Unread 02-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I started the install this weekend . . . but after 2 long days I'm still not done . . . everything went fairly smooth . . . but I had to do some drilling and cutting . . . the rear is done except for cutting away the original shock brackets from the axle and re-welding new ones . . . hopefully, tomorrow, that will be done, and I can start on the front

Last edited by numchuck; 02-11-2007 at 09:01 PM..
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

done with lift; but not with tires . . . stock will have to do, for now, while my credit card recovers
smllift63.jpg   smllift69.jpg   smllift65.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

looks good cant wait to see it with some bigger tires!

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Doesn't too bad with the stock tires...congrats

and I do know the feeling of being in a stock jeep, I hated seeing all the other lifted jeeps around, and my credit card is also recovering from it too. But its worth it!
Unread 02-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Muddeprived

How's it ride on the street? (stupid question i know) I'm wondering cuz short arm lifts above 4" get a steep control arm angle and ride a little rougher. Dunno about Nth's though....
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

the Nth Degree system handles great . . . seems even more stable than stock . . . small bumps seem softer; but large bumps seem harder . . . but to lessen the angles of the rear lower control arms, the kit comes with a template, to locate and drill new holes, in both the axle brackets and the frame brackets (see third photo below) also, there are new brackets included that raise the attachment points of the trackbar and the rear upper control arms to the axle
smllift02.jpg   smllift05.jpg   smllift12.jpg   smllift13.jpg  

Last edited by numchuck; 02-14-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Muddeprived

I had no idea they re-located the arm bolts. That's the coolest thing. I'm wondering why other kits don't do the same. I wonder if i can do that with my 3.5 (approx) lift, but i'm sure im gonna have to get tubular control arms of some sort cuz the stockers are too large to move up.

If i were to do this, how would i go about doing it without a template? For the fronts, could i just disconnect the rear bolt on one side, lower it approx 1" and mark the spot with a pen and then drill a new hole? Then i'll recconnect it to the factory hole and do the other side. I could probably lower the rear of the control arm but not the front.

Are the upper arms lowered or leveled too?
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

don't mess with the fronts . . . Nth says that doing that will cause other, more complex handling issues . . . look at my last photo and notice how I cut out a half moon shape in the axle bracket to allow more movement of the rear control arm . . . if you call Chris Velasco at Nth, he will send you a template that will work with your present setup and guide you through the other modifications . . . Nth Degree is very familiar with Rubicon Express; and many of their parts can be made to work well together . . . the upper control arms remain in the stock locations at the frame, but are moved upward, at the axle, through the use of special brackets
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #12
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
don't mess with the fronts . . . Nth says that doing that will cause other, more complex handling issues . . . look at my last photo and notice how I cut out a half moon shape in the axle bracket to allow more movement of the rear control arm . . . if you call Chris Velasco at Nth, he will send you a template that will work with your present setup and guide you through the other modifications . . . Nth Degree is very familiar with Rubicon Express; and many of their parts can be made to work well together . . . the upper control arms remain in the stock locations at the frame, but are moved upward, at the axle, through the use of special brackets
Awesome. I will do this as soon as time permits. Thanks man.

Oh by the way, are the front upper arms like the rear uppers, adjustable ON the vehicle? I have the rear uppers from nth and you can't beat the ease of adjustability.
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

yes . . . they also can be adjusted in place . . . but the front part that attaches to the axle is shaped differently . . . it is Y - shaped instead of round
Unread 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
yes . . . they also can be adjusted in place . . . but the front part that attaches to the axle is shaped differently . . . it is Y - shaped instead of round
Just a heads up in case you didn't, it's best to use anti-sieze on control arms threads. I overlooked this minor detail and had to use every ounce....oh wait, you live in texas...never mind

damn salt.
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #15
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin' good Chuck . I would have checked in sooner but I just came across this thread .

BTW - Did you know that the OME shocks are now available in black?? I owned a set just before I acquired my RE 3.5" kit. Thought maybe you'd be more into those than the yellow's. Just a heads up.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.