Novice Tire advice needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Novice Tire advice needed!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
iamfuller

Novice Tire advice needed!

Help! I need advice. I have a 2009 Jeep GC that has roughly 75,000 miles on it. I bought all new tires this past September. In March, I had a low tire pressure light come on so I took it in for oil change, tire rotation, and told them about the low pressure light. They neglected to fix the problem -- told me I had a slow leak. Well it wasn't so slow because Monday morning I had a flat tire. I had AAA come and change the flat to my spare and dropped the tire off at the dealership for them to evaluate the tire. They said they fixed it-- that it was leaking air between the seal. Fast forward, 3 weeks, my light comes back on. I take it in this past Saturday and I am told they have to replace the tire pressure sensor and this is their evaluation "replace tire pressure sensor in right rear wheel in between the rim and where the valve stem (tire pressure sensor) is inserted is no longer keeping seal"

So not knowing if I have any other option than to fix it, I say go ahead -- total cost $217.95

I am no car expert or mechanically savvy whatsoever, but did I just completely get ripped off? I am mad to begin with because their customer service sucks and this will be the 3rd time I have taken it in for the same reason -- low tire pressure and the fact that the tires were brand new in September and purchased from them. They are under warranty, but apparently this isn't something covered under the warranty.

Any suggestions on anything I can do or is this just life?

Any help is MUCH appreciated. I am supposed to pick it up today so I would like to know what questions I need to ask if any or I just need to cut my losses.

iamfuller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfuller
Help! I need advice. I have a 2009 Jeep GC that has roughly 75,000 miles on it. I bought all new tires this past September. In March, I had a low tire pressure light come on so I took it in for oil change, tire rotation, and told them about the low pressure light. They neglected to fix the problem -- told me I had a slow leak. Well it wasn't so slow because Monday morning I had a flat tire. I had AAA come and change the flat to my spare and dropped the tire off at the dealership for them to evaluate the tire. They said they fixed it-- that it was leaking air between the seal. Fast forward, 3 weeks, my light comes back on. I take it in this past Saturday and I am told they have to replace the tire pressure sensor and this is their evaluation "replace tire pressure sensor in right rear wheel in between the rim and where the valve stem (tire pressure sensor) is inserted is no longer keeping seal"

So not knowing if I have any other option than to fix it, I say go ahead -- total cost $217.95

I am no car expert or mechanically savvy whatsoever, but did I just completely get ripped off? I am mad to begin with because their customer service sucks and this will be the 3rd time I have taken it in for the same reason -- low tire pressure and the fact that the tires were brand new in September and purchased from them. They are under warranty, but apparently this isn't something covered under the warranty.

Any suggestions on anything I can do or is this just life?

Any help is MUCH appreciated. I am supposed to pick it up today so I would like to know what questions I need to ask if any or I just need to cut my losses.
Sounds about right from the stealer.. I mean dealer :-), probably $50 for the part, minimum of an hour labor at $100 and $50 for setting it up (I think there is some programming involved to get it to work properly). You probably could have gotten it done for less at a tire store or an independent. The tire really has nothing to do with your issue and they need to remove it to get at the sensor to replace it. I have complained about stuff like this and gotten them to knock $50 or so off.. Really depends on who the dealer is. You might enable to convince them if you demonstrate that you know it didn't take an hour to perform the task.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
wlo2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is the Jeep under warranty? I'd ask them to split it with you since you had to pay for the towing service (AAA or not) and you only had to get the AAA help because they misdiagnosed it in the first place. My $.02.
wlo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.