Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Reply
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #121
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton
I've read a magazine review on the Cooper STT that stated it was more of an AT than MT. I need a good 3-ply for southern Arizona where roads are rocky with loose sandy dirt. This is my DD. So far, I've run GSA, BFG AT, and MT MTZ 31" tires. Thanks!
Are you sure the review was on the STT? Perhaps it was the ST or ST Maxx? The STTs are very NOT ATs. They're great and probably make it onto my short list of MT tires, but whoever said they were more of an AT tire was on drugs.

mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #122
ArchStanton
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Are you sure the review was on the STT? Perhaps it was the ST or ST Maxx? The STTs are very NOT ATs. They're great and probably make it onto my short list of MT tires, but whoever said they were more of an AT tire was on drugs.

Here's the review:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...stt_tire_test/
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #123
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,257
I read it and I now see what you mean: they didn't actually call it an AT; they just made the comparison. Unfortunately they could only say for certain that it handled well and was relatively quiet on the road. There are lots of MTs that can say that, but they only speculated on its efficiency and made no mention of treadlife if driven regularly on pavement. They also didn't even consider how well or poorly it might handle heavy rains or snow. On that note, I have read good things about them and snow especially when siped, but this is a thread about tires classified as AT. Perhaps a MT connoisseur should write an objective breakdown thread on MTs.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #124
ArchStanton
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
I read it and I now see what you mean: they didn't actually call it an AT; they just made the comparison. Unfortunately they could only say for certain that it handled well and was relatively quiet on the road. There are lots of MTs that can say that, but they only speculated on its efficiency and made no mention of treadlife if driven regularly on pavement. They also didn't even consider how well or poorly it might handle heavy rains or snow. On that note, I have read good things about them and snow especially when siped, but this is a thread about tires classified as AT. Perhaps a MT connoisseur should write an objective breakdown thread on MTs.
I called Cooper today and was told that the tire would best fit an AT category as its most aggressive tire along with the AT3 and STMaxx. He said it wasn't specifically made for mud, but a lot of people use it for that. On a side-note, a Border Patrol agent told me that the BFG AT tire didn't chunk as much as the KM2, and he stated the GY MTR K fell apart. I'm thinking about getting another set of BFG AT's, even though the first set only lasted about 30k.
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #125
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,257
That old-school interlocked tread of BFG AT and General AT2 really likes those dry, dusty, rocky areas, so I'm not surprised that a border patroller really likes it. Those tires would rank higher for me if I was off road in the southwest a lot, too. Since I'm on the road a lot and in MN, WI, and IL with lots of nasty conditions on and off the road, those two tires just don't measure-up to more modern designs in my experience. I'm really surprised that yours wore out so fast though. They tend to be pretty long-lived.

Cooper's statement regarding STTs is interesting especially since so many other manufacturers use that same basic tread pattern as MT, and so many wheelers use them very successfully as such as well. There are a lot of clones of this pattern, and I'd LOVE to see them tested against each other in a controlled environment to see if any of them really stand apart from the rest.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #126
ArchStanton
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772
That old-school interlocked tread of BFG AT and General AT2 really likes those dry, dusty, rocky areas, so I'm not surprised that a border patroller really likes it. Those tires would rank higher for me if I was off road in the southwest a lot, too.

Cooper's statement regarding STTs is interesting especially since so many other manufacturers use that same basic tread pattern as MT, and so many wheelers use them very successfully as such as well. There are a lot of clones of this pattern, and I'd LOVE to see them tested against each other in a controlled environment to see if any of them really stand apart from the rest.
Yeah, the BFG AT's might be the way to go. I can get 31 or 33 10.50 15 for $730 or $780 out the door plus a $50 rebate. A tire salesman told me that Cooper paid Toyo to use that tread pattern.
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #127
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
I've read a magazine review on the Cooper STT that stated it was more of an AT than MT. I need a good 3-ply for southern Arizona where roads are rocky with loose sandy dirt. This is my DD. So far, I've run GSA, BFG AT, and MT MTZ 31" tires. Thanks!
Cooper STT are MT.

ST Maxx is more of an AT. It's tough and would be perfect for your situation, IMO.

I personally wouldn't use ST Maxx because the sipes don't look suited to ice performance, IMO, and it's hard rubber would be slick on ice, IMO.

However, that same hard tough rubber would make it good for your needs. IMO
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #128
ArchStanton
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

Cooper STT are MT.

ST Maxx is more of an AT. It's tough and would be perfect for your situation, IMO.

I personally wouldn't use ST Maxx because the sipes don't look suited to ice performance, IMO, and it's hard rubber would be slick on ice, IMO.

However, that same hard tough rubber would make it good for your needs. IMO
They won't have a 31x10.50 15 with a 3ply sidewall until the fall, but I'd be interested if it was available now. Thanks for the recommendation!
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #129
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
They won't have a 31x10.50 15 with a 3ply sidewall until the fall, but I'd be interested if it was available now. Thanks for the recommendation!
There's plenty of other good choices. Like Cooper AT3, BFG AT, General AT2 (if you can stand the rough ride), and Hankook ATM come to mind. Also others too, but that's all I could think of at this moment.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #130
HCallahan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlottesville, Virginia
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Refer to post #94 in this thread.
I think Goodyear is surviving on their name, factory sales and their distribution network. They may not die but they'll never be what they once were. Most people that spend money for tires will not make the same mistake twice.
HCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #131
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,858
Why so down on Goodyear? They have made some junk in the past, and maybe still do make some (not sure).

I think most tire brands have made some junk, but I still like a brand if it also makes some good products too.

I know of 3 good Goodyear tires they make right now. Silent Armor (over priced, but good), Duratrac, and MTR-K. I even think their Wrangler tires are OK.

---

Adragg, where are you? They're talking trash about your brand. Why am I having to defend Goodyear? I don't use that brand. Though I could be happy using Silent Armor (other than cost), or Duratrac (if I needed something that aggressive).

Adragg, after all the grief you gave me, now you're just going to be silent while your fave brand gets b-slapped in print? The hell you are. Speak up man, and don't direct any venom my way because for once we're on the same side.

The prior 2 paragraphs are partly tongue in cheek humor. So please don't anyone take me to seriously or get offended, BUT I am serious when I say Goodyear makes 3 very good tires that I know of. I am also serious when I ask, where is Adragg and the other Goodyear users and supporters?

---

I'm a Cooper, Hankook, and Hercules guy, but I like many other brands too, including Goodyear. Not necessarily all their stuff, but some of it.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #132
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 2,257
Goodyear's Assurance Tripletred is also a fantastic tire, but it's a touring tire, so I don't expect many people around here to know or care.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #133
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Goodyear's Assurance Tripletred is also a fantastic tire, but it's a touring tire, so I don't expect many people around here to know or care.
I care. It relates to the topic of Goodyear. The topic of Goodyear relates to ATs.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #134
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: , Kentucky
Posts: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
That old-school interlocked tread of BFG AT and General AT2 really likes those dry, dusty, rocky areas, so I'm not surprised that a border patroller really likes it. Those tires would rank higher for me if I was off road in the southwest a lot, too. Since I'm on the road a lot and in MN, WI, and IL with lots of nasty conditions on and off the road, those two tires just don't measure-up to more modern designs in my experience. I'm really surprised that yours wore out so fast though. They tend to be pretty long-lived.

Cooper's statement regarding STTs is interesting especially since so many other manufacturers use that same basic tread pattern as MT, and so many wheelers use them very successfully as such as well. There are a lot of clones of this pattern, and I'd LOVE to see them tested against each other in a controlled environment to see if any of them really stand apart from the rest.

I agree with everything ^^^^ 100%.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #135
ADragg
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Why so down on Goodyear? They have made some junk in the past, and maybe still do make some (not sure).

I think most tire brands have made some junk, but I still like a brand if it also makes some good products too.

I know of 3 good Goodyear tires they make right now. Silent Armor (over priced, but good), Duratrac, and MTR-K. I even think their Wrangler tires are OK.

---

Adragg, where are you? They're talking trash about your brand. Why am I having to defend Goodyear? I don't use that brand. Though I could be happy using Silent Armor (other than cost), or Duratrac (if I needed something that aggressive).

Adragg, after all the grief you gave me, now you're just going to be silent while your fave brand gets b-slapped in print? The hell you are. Speak up man, and don't direct any venom my way because for once we're on the same side.

The prior 2 paragraphs are partly tongue in cheek humor. So please don't anyone take me to seriously or get offended, BUT I am serious when I say Goodyear makes 3 very good tires that I know of. I am also serious when I ask, where is Adragg and the other Goodyear users and supporters?

---

I'm a Cooper, Hankook, and Hercules guy, but I like many other brands too, including Goodyear. Not necessarily all their stuff, but some of it.
I have been busy lately, which is the main reason I haven't responded until now, but eh. I just don't care that much. Goodyear isn't really "my brand", necessarily. The Duratracs are just the tire I decided to go with with after much deliberation. I didn't get them because I'm a huge Goodyear fan, GY just happened to make the tire that I became a fan of.

I think the Duratracs are the first Goodyear's I've had on any vehicle I've owned, and he Dura's are still new to me. Mine seem to be very nice, quality tires but that's all I can speak for. I don't have long-term experience with lots of GY tires. But mine seem to be great and the Duratracs and MTR's seem to have an awesome reputation from most owners.

I did read on a couple occasions that GY's aren't round enough or take a lot of weight to balance, but I took a chance. I knew if they couldn't get them to balance or they vibrated or whatever, I'd just exchange them. I even anticipated having to get a replacement since I know they can be a little harder to balance, but mine took average weight to balance, while one or two of them seem to have taken a bit more. But as long as they ultimately balance and ride nice with no vibes and little noise, I don't care all that much. Mine are working very well for me.

So yeah, I have heard a few bad things about GY tires, but they're a very popular tire (the Duratracs in particular, in the context of Jeeps and this forum) and I don't expect to see positive reviews from everyone when there are that many people who own and reviewed and commented on this tire. They seem to get a lot less hate than BFG A/T's, for instance. I think they have a pretty solid reputation considering how popular they are.

I haven't heard anything about Duratracs cupping or wearing quickly. I've mostly just heard the contrary, that they wear very well. They aren't reputed to have super strong rock-crawler MT sidewalls, but that's the trade-off for a light tire. They also have a bit of a reputation from some people for being difficult to balance, but that's not that big of a risk, to me. Ultimately, they will get balanced nicely and ride well, or they will get replaced. If they proved to be overly problematic in that sense, I would just get different tires altogether.

I don't really care about people bashing GY, I'm perfectly happy with mine. Nothing wrong with people sharing their experiences with GY tires (even if the experiences might be from a long time ago or in regard to totally different tires than Jeep guys would use). That's not something I'm going to take the time to argue about, especially since I have only owned one set of GY tires and only for a short time. When Charley and I had our argument, it wasn't because I was defending GY as a brand, it was only because I felt the Duratrac was a tire that deserved to be compared amongst all of the other tires reviewed in this thread.

If someone has experience with GY tires and dislikes them, that's not hugely important to me. That said, I will say that my experience with the GY Duratrac (which is limited) is very positive. I will take care of them and rotate them regularly and I think they will probably last a long time and serve me well. I love having such a capable tire that looks so aggressive and is so well-mannered on the road.
__________________
3.5" lifted '03 Limited Quadra Drive WJ - OME HD coils, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS track bar, IRO extended links, OME 10mm spacers, Moog SS, JK Moab wheels w/ 265/70/17 (32") Goodyear Duratracs.
ADragg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.