Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #91
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Adragg, you just bought your Duratracs a few weeks ago. How much of an expert are you? Were those your first offroad tires ever? It appeared so from your prior posts/threads.

I have been offroading for 35 or 36 years, and I've owned countless sets of highway and all season tires, and at least 8 or 9 sets of off road tires. Several brands of ATs, an MT, and a few that I'd call a hybrid mix of AT and MT. I also did a lot of wheeling with my dad on highway tires (his thing, not mine). I've also done quite a bit of wheeling on all terrain tires, snow tires, many ATs, one MT, and a few hybrid tires.

My dad owned 1 Jeep, I've owned 3 Jeeps, and I wheeled a few other brands of vehicles too.
In addition to the tires I've owned and wheeled, I've read hundreds, if not thousands, of user reviews and professional reviews on tires.
If I'm not an expert, I at least have a few decades more experience than you.

Now stop acting like a bitter, bat poop crazy troll and get the f out of my thread, unless you want to post something that is on topic and constructive about ATs or Duratrac. Attacking me is not on topic nor constructive.

You are welcome to post about ATs, or your Duratracs and tell us how they are doing for you. I welcome on topic, non confrontational posts, if you have any to make. By this time, you've owned your Duratracs long enough to have some experiences to contribute.

Although I personally do not consider the Duratrac to be an AT, that is my opinion, and you are welcome to disagree, if you can be respectful about it, but you've already expressed your opinion on that several times. Please don't beat that dead horse anymore. I'm not beating it anymore. I let that go and don't mention it anymore.

Whether the Duratrac is an AT or not, this is a good thread to tell us about it, if you want to. I told you that a long time ago.

We'd enjoy hearing about your Duratracs, and your experiences will be appreciated and respected if you post in a positive, constructive, on topic manner; but stop firing at me.

If you want yourself and your posts treated with some respect, you have to give some respect.

Be nice or be gone.

Unread 07-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #92
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

970001zj, thank your for sharing your experiences with Hankook ATM. I really appreciate your input on that tire. It's a great tire.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that it's known for being an exceptionally well balanced tire that needs minimal weights to balance (according to user reviews and a 4x4 mag review I read).

The Cooper AT3 that I have took a lot of weight(s) to balance 30 x 9.5 R15 tires. That makes me sad. However, in-spite of the lots of balancing weight(s), they ride smooth on highway. So all is well that ends well.

Props to Hankook for making an exceptionally fine tire that needs minimal balancing weights.
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #93
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
970001zj, thank your for sharing your experiences with Hankook ATM. I really appreciate your input on that tire. It's a great tire.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that it's known for being an exceptionally well balanced tire that needs minimal weights to balance (according to user reviews and a 4x4 mag review I read).

The Cooper AT3 that I have took a lot of weights to balance 30 x 9.5 R15 tires. That makes me sad. However, in-spite of the lots of balancing weights, they ride smooth on highway. So all is well that ends well.

However, props to Hankook for making an exceptionally fine tire that needs minimal balancing weights.
your welcome

i had some nasty death wobble before i got the hankooks

with them it disappeared so i would say they are balanced well

i had a less than good shop do the balance and they probly could use less weight if they just took the air out and rotated the tire in relation to the rim

one wheel has the smallest weight ive ever seen , its tiny

i will take some pics for the thread
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #94
WXman
2001 WJ 

It's been common for at least 20 years if not longer for Goodyear tires to come out of the factory as ovals. My father watched the technician go through the warehouse for a long while before they found 4 Wrangler ATS tires round enough to mount and balance for his Chevy 2500. And my Duratracs showed up last year mounted and balanced with the weights two rows deep! Good-for-a-year quality is shoddy...but their designs are the best. It's a shame.
imag1124.jpg  
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #95
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
your welcome

i had a less than good shop do the balance and they probly could use less weight if they just took the air out and rotated the tire in relation to the rim
Same deal with my Cooper AT3. One of these days I'll have them rebalanced so the light part of rim is paired up with the heavy part of tire. That will help.

But even with that issue considered, my Cooper AT3 still took more weight than a 30 x 9.5 R15 tire should. I sent Cooper an email about it (for whatever good that might do).

I still love my Cooper AT3. I'd buy them again, and I still highly recommend them.
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #96
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
It's been common for at least 20 years if not longer for Goodyear tires to come out of the factory as ovals. My father watched the technician go through the warehouse for a long while before they found 4 Wrangler ATS tires round enough to mount and balance for his Chevy 2500. And my Duratracs showed up last year mounted and balanced with the weights two rows deep! Good-for-a-year quality is shoddy...but their designs are the best. It's a shame.
Hmm. Well my Cooper AT3 must be round enough because they are smooth riding (after balancing with big weights).

So I think it's a balance problem, but not an "out of round" problem.

They're working great (big weights and all).

Someday in future I'm going to get them rebalanced using the method where they match up lightest side of wheel to heaviest side of tire. Some tire stores call that "road force balancing". Is that a commonly used term?

I still love my Cooper AT3. I'd buy them again, and I still highly recommend them.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:19 AM   #97
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

here is the smallest weight on top ( i told you it was tiny ) and the largest weight on the bottom

also i know i need to repaint my rims in a bad way
dscf5649.jpg   dscf5653.jpg  
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #98
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
here is the smallest weight on top ( i told you it was tiny ) and the largest weight on the bottom
That's excellent.
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #99
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
That's excellent.

heres a better pic i forgot to mention this wheel ( front ) with its larger weight

i rotate the spare in and move it around to keep the wear as even as possible
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #100
atturo

Ask your shop to try balance beads to get rid of the vibration on these larger tires. That seems to be a good solution. But, don't expect it to mask an actual out of round tire.
atturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #101
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atturo View Post
Ask your shop to try balance beads to get rid of the vibration on these larger tires. That seems to be a good solution. But, don't expect it to mask an actual out of round tire.
That might be good advice for large tires. I'm not sure. I never tried it.

However, I don't think the recent posters have large tires. My tires are 30 x 9.5 R15, and I think these other fellows are running 225/75R15. I might be mistaken though. Perhaps someone in this thread has large tires.
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #102
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Someday in future I'm going to get them rebalanced using the method where they match up lightest side of wheel to heaviest side of tire. Some tire stores call that "road force balancing". Is that a commonly used term?
That's not road force balancing. I don't know that I would trust a shop who calls it that.

That process is known as match mounting. Have you ever seen a new car with markings on the tires? Typically that is how they keep track of it at the factory.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #103
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
That's not road force balancing. I don't know that I would trust a shop who calls it that.

That process is known as match mounting. Have you ever seen a new car with markings on the tires? Typically that is how they keep track of it at the factory.
A couple local tire stores here call that Road Force Balancing. I'm not sure why the call it that. Marketing probably.

Thank you for your post. I will in future, get my tires rebalanced using match mounting. I had that done on a prior Jeep's tires and it does work good.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #104
WXman
2001 WJ 

Road Force Balancing is when the machine applies a force to the tire as it's spinning, simulating how it would be if the tire was on the vehicle cruising down a highway. They typically charge more for this type of balancing. Not all shops can do it.

Some tires esp. the foreign brands (Kenda, Falken, etc.) have two paint dots on the side of the tire. This tells the technician where the high spots are on the tire so he can match it up with the low spots on the wheel. Some technicians don't know this or don't care and it makes their job tougher.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #105
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Road Force Balancing is when the machine applies a force to the tire as it's spinning, simulating how it would be if the tire was on the vehicle cruising down a highway. They typically charge more for this type of balancing. Not all shops can do it.

Some tires esp. the foreign brands (Kenda, Falken, etc.) have two paint dots on the side of the tire. This tells the technician where the high spots are on the tire so he can match it up with the low spots on the wheel. Some technicians don't know this or don't care and it makes their job tougher.
Excellent information. Thank you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.