Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 53 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 06-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #781
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good now we can go back on topic. I still like the Goodyear Wrangler At Adventurer. I will be putting another 1-2 thousand miles on them in next couple of weeks.

jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #782
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1
Good now we can go back on topic. I still like the Goodyear Wrangler At Adventurer. I will be putting another 1-2 thousand miles on them in next couple of weeks.
I'd like to hear more about these.

They have a great tread wear rating and they look pretty good.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #783
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since CJ7nvjtk said he's interested in Cooper AT3 & General Grabber AT2 I will mention that I've owned both of those and BFG AT.

The CAT3 is great on road and good off road for traction (for an AT).

The GGAT2 is good on road and good offroad for traction (for an AT).

I have found the CAT3 to be better in the mud, but the GGAT2 is pretty good in mud for an AT.

I never had the chance to compare them in Winter conditions or sand.

The CAT3 has lower rolling resistance (gives better gas mileage), is quietest, and rides soft.

The GGAT2 has slightly more rolling resistance, slight noise (similar to BFG AT), rides rough, and has very thick tough sidewalls.

I prefer the CAT3 (or BFG AT) because I have a bad back and need a soft ride. The CAT3 is tough enough for my purposes and I haven't heard any complaints about it.

However, the GGAT2 is tougher, which might be preferable to a more extreme wheeler. I think the GGAT2 is the toughest AT made.

Both those tires are available for good prices, IMO.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #784
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
I'd like to hear more about these. They have a great tread wear rating and they look pretty good.
X2 they look like an impressive tire. If be interested to see feedback on how well they do in the snow and handling light of roading.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #785
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Since CJ7nvjtk said he's interested in Cooper AT3 & General Grabber AT2 I will mention that I've owned both of those and BFG AT. The CAT3 is great on road and good off road for traction (for an AT). The GGAT2 is good on road and good offroad for traction (for an AT). I have found the CAT3 to be better in the mud, but the GGAT2 is pretty good in mud for an AT. I never had the chance to compare them in Winter conditions or sand. The CAT3 has lower rolling resistance (gives better gas mileage), is quietest, and rides soft. The GGAT2 has slightly more rolling resistance, slight noise (similar to BFG AT), rides rough, and has very thick tough sidewalls. I prefer the CAT3 (or BFG AT) because I have a bad back and need a soft ride. The CAT3 is tough enough for my purposes and I haven't heard any complaints about it. However, the GGAT2 is tougher, which might be preferable to a more extreme wheeler. I think the GGAT2 is the toughest AT made. Both those tires are available for good prices, IMO.
See from my experience, the BFG AT doesn't really yield a soft ride. It may be better than the grabber at2, that I don't know, but I run 26 psi in my 33 12.50 r15 BFG's and they are just as harsh a the km2. I had some Goodyear wrangler AT's before the KM2, not sure what model it was some time ago, and they were a much softer ride than both BFG sets I've owned.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #786
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Sitting here at discount tire getting new shoes for the wife's car and unfortunately they don't have any cooper at3 to look at, only the ATP. Sales guy says the AT3 is on back order for the size I need. Says the ATP is the newer tire. So what's the difference between the at3 and the ATP?
Unread 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #787
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
See from my experience, the BFG AT doesn't really yield a soft ride. It may be better than the grabber at2, that I don't know, but I run 26 psi in my 33 12.50 r15 BFG's and they are just as harsh a the km2. I had some Goodyear wrangler AT's before the KM2, not sure what model it was some time ago, and they were a much softer ride than both BFG sets I've owned.
Goodyear Wrangler GSA stock tires do ride very soft for an (allegedly) off road tire, but they aren't very tough (compared to other ATs).

The GSA is more of a car tire, especially in a stock size that's a P rated tire.

I think BFG AT ride reasonably soft relative to other C rated all terrain tire, but that's just my opinion based on having owned 33 x 10.5 and 30 x 9.5 BFG AT.

The Cooper AT3 ride a bit softer than the BFG AT, IMO. But no C rated (semi-tough) AT is going to ride as soft as a P rated Wrangler GSA stock tire.

I'm assuming your Wrangler tires were GSA or equivalent and P rated in stock or near stock size.

In any case, Consumer Reports rates the Cooper AT3 as one of the softest riding ATs, and Grabber AT2 as the roughest riding AT. That fits my experienes with those two tires.
Unread 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #788
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Sitting here at discount tire getting new shoes for the wife's car and unfortunately they don't have any cooper at3 to look at, only the ATP. Sales guy says the AT3 is on back order for the size I need. Says the ATP is the newer tire. So what's the difference between the at3 and the ATP?
I'ver never tried the ATP, so all I can do is look at pics and read reviews.

It's tread pattern looks like a crossbreed of Hankook ATM and Cooper AT3, or maybe a mix between Nitto Terra Grappler and Cooper AT3.

Online, I only find ATP for sale at Discount Tire. That makes me suspect it's a Cooper AT made specifically for Discount Tire. The AT3 is sold many places. Discount tire probably makes a few extra bucks on ATP compared to AT3. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it probably means Discount Tire has more motivation to keep ATP in stock than AT3.

The reviews of ATP suggest it makes slightly more road noise than AT3 because people with ATP say it's a slight hum that's barely noticeable. My AT3 are silent (to my ears, and I have good hearing).

ATP is not available in R15 sizes. AT3 is available in R15 sizes. The ATP in R16 has less sizes and load ratings to choose from.

I think they're probably both great tires, but the AT3 is reviewed to be slightly quieter, offers more sizes and load ratings, and might cost slightly more.

===

Bottom Line: I think the ATP is fine if they have it in a size, load rating, tread-depth, and price you want; but the AT3 offers more choices and is probably quieter.

Ride quality and traction are probably about the same, but that's just my guess. Reviewers like both tires.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #789
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After thoughts...

The AT3 tread is really good for NOT hydroplaning on wet highway. It's designed to NOT float. Off road I think it tends to dig more than float, which could be good or bad depending on terrain.

So for sand, the ATP would probably be better (more flotation).

The AT3 is good in mud (for an AT). I don't know how an ATP would do in mud.
Unread 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #790
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Goodyear Wrangler GSA stock tires do ride very soft for an (allegedly) off road tire, but they aren't very tough (compared to other ATs). The GSA is more of a car tire, especially in a stock size that's a P rated tire. I think BFG AT ride reasonably soft relative to other C rated all terrain tire, but that's just my opinion based on having owned 33 x 10.5 and 30 x 9.5 BFG AT. The Cooper AT3 ride a bit softer than the BFG AT, IMO. But no C rated (semi-tough) AT is going to ride as soft as a P rated Wrangler GSA stock tire. I'm assuming your Wrangler tires were GSA or equivalent and P rated in stock or near stock size. In any case, Consumer Reports rates the Cooper AT3 as one of the softest riding ATs, and Grabber AT2 as the roughest riding AT. That fits my experienes with those two tires.
They were c rated if I remember correctly.
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #791
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They were c rated if I remember correctly.
Where these tires same or similar size? That affects ride quality.
Unread 07-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #792
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Where these tires same or similar size? That affects ride quality.
I went from a 31 10.50 to a 33 12.50. Once these wear out I'm probably going back to a 31 for practicality.
Unread 07-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #793
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I went from a 31 10.50 to a 33 12.50. Once these wear out I'm probably going back to a 31 for practicality.
The increase in size and unsprung weight probably contributed to the rougher ride, IMO.

To get a meaningful comparison of ride quality of two different tires, they need to be same (or similar) size, same load rating, and on same vehicle.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #794
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The increase in size and unsprung weight probably contributed to the rougher ride, IMO. To get a meaningful comparison of ride quality of two different tires, they need to be same (or similar) size, same load rating, and on same vehicle.
Makes sense.
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #795
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I'd like to hear more about these.
They have a great tread wear rating and they look pretty good.
I just came back off of a 2500 mile road trip pulling my 5th wheel. The GY AT Adventure tires on my PU rode very quiet and smooth on payment and when I got to No. Dakota they still performed well on my friends dirt/gravel farm roads. Unless they really disappoint me somehow in the future, I'll be getting a set for my Jeep Rubicon this winter.

FYI - Some roads were so rough that I broke a spring hanger and lost one tire on the 5th wheel. However, the GY's still look new. Might be the Kevlar. The GY Adventure's are supposed to shed gravel but they still picked up quite a bit. However much less than my old GY MTR's do.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.