Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 02-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #676
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I thought about it some more. I didn't air down my Cooper AT3 for snow and ice. I used to air down my BFG AT for snow and ice. So not a fair comparison. Perhaps the AT3 would be as good on snow and ice if aired down.

I don't know. Snow is melting here now. To late to find out this year.

Unread 02-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #677
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've never aired down any tire for winter other than from neglect. I've aired down for rock climbing but never for Ice. Please keep this subject open to see where it goes. It's 6pm in Utah and it's 44 degrees F. Most of the snow here is melting real fast. Does anybody care about water over ice. Maybe no tire can handle that without studs or chains.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #678
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
I've never aired down any tire for winter other than from neglect. I've aired down for rock climbing but never for Ice. Please keep this subject open to see where it goes. It's 6pm in Utah and it's 44 degrees F. Most of the snow here is melting real fast. Does anybody care about water over ice. Maybe no tire can handle that without studs or chains.
I already know from past experience with other tires that airing down at least 5 psi helps a lot for winter traction.

Airing down 8 to 10 psi helps traction even more, but then you can't drive on freeway at full speed when snow/ice melts.

Airing down 5 psi still leaves enough psi for freeway driving and decent high speed cornering.

That ^ has worked well for me with 225/75R16, 235/75R15, 30x9.5R15, 245/75R16, 33x10.5R15, and 285/75R16 tires. I haven't owned or tried other sizes. I'm sure any size tire would have more Winter traction when aired down, but I don't know how much airing down for other sizes.

This Winter I didn't air down because I wanted to challenge the tires more and because I was lazy. That almost got me killed on a steep curvy mountain road covered with ice. In future, I'll be airing down for each Winter storm.
Unread 02-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #679
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if I run a little aired down in the winter anyway. I check my tire pressure in my garage in the morning then take the vehicle out in freezing weather. The cold air more than likely drops the air pressure down some.
Unread 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #680
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Uniroyal Laredo AWT2 is an all terrain tire that hasn't been mentioned yet.

It looks to me like it's a less agressive AT tread (which is great for people wanting that).

I don't have experience with this tire, but I have owned other Uniroyal tires on my Buick car and IME Uniroyal offers good quality and performance for affordable prices.

I think the Uniroyal Laredo AWT2 deserves serious consideration for anyone wanting a good AT tire that's affordable, or for anyone wanting a less aggressive AT.

It could be called a rugged all season tire.

It has LOTS of sipes for traction on packed snow and ice.
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #681
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just pestered Cooper again (by email) about my Cooper AT3 being excellent on all surfaces, except for being slick on packed snow and very slick on ice.

I finally (for first time) got a personalized email response from Cooper.

He said a new version of AT3 for Northern climates will be available by next Nov. It will have more sipes and improved Winter traction (especially on packed snow and ice). I assume more sipes will also give improved wet pavement traction/handling.

He said the current version of AT3 will continue to be offered too. It's ideal for those in Southern climates that don't get as much snow and ice. It's lesser amount of sipes makes it more cut and chip resistant and therefore more durable/rugged. I assume less sipes also makes more stable treadblocks for better dry handling.
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #682
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think the more siped version of AT3 will be my perfect tire for my Northern climate and my needs. I'm thinking it might be snowflake rated too.

I think I will finally have acheived tire nervonna for my needs.
Unread 02-28-2014, 11:02 PM   #683
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

More info I just got from Cooper.

The new version of AT3 with more sipes will be called ATW.

The ATW stands for AT with increased Winter traction (more sipes).
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:32 AM   #684
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
More info I just got from Cooper.

The new version of AT3 with more sipes will be called ATW.

The ATW stands for AT with increased Winter traction (more sipes).
THEY SHOULD JUST CALL IT THE COOPER ATM
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #685
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

I've had my cooper discoverer atp 245-65-r17s for about 3 weeks now.....I like them a lot. Thwy look good imo and can definitely stand up to the light muddy trails, rocks, and sand they've seen so far with no issues.
JeepNowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #686
Shock96

Great! I did a test fit of the ATP on VanDOOM. I like them a lot and they fit well in the 285 size. Let's see some pics of them on your rig! Thanks for the info!
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2014, 06:27 PM   #687
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've run the Cooper Discoverer on my PU for almost 5 years and close to 15K miles now. I have no problems with the tread but the sidewalls are cracking, plus they do not seem to grab very well on wet payment and they collect small rocks in the tread. I'm not sure if this is a Cooper problem but I've never had these problems before with other brands. However, my GY MT/R's do seem to collect the small rocks, but they've never had the sidewall cracking problems like the Coopers even after 9 years of use.
Unread 03-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #688
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
I've run the Cooper Discoverer on my PU for almost 5 years and close to 15K miles now. I have no problems with the tread but the sidewalls are cracking, plus they do not seem to grab very well on wet payment and they collect small rocks in the tread. I'm not sure if this is a Cooper problem but I've never had these problems before with other brands. However, my GY MT/R's do seem to collect the small rocks, but they've never had the sidewall cracking problems like the Coopers even after 9 years of use.
There is a whole family of Cooper Discoverer tires. Which are you referring to?
Unread 03-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #689
unobtanium
2010 WK 

Sadly, no tires worth a darn fit my Jeep. That is my ONE serious complaint. Chrysler made a vehicle that noone makes tires for. Fail. It's actually pretty frustrating at this point as I need new tires and don't want to resort to whatever I can rummage up at wal-mart's discount rack of no-name oddball size tires.
MEMBER #123
unobtanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #690
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtanium View Post
Sadly, no tires worth a darn fit my Jeep. That is my ONE serious complaint. Chrysler made a vehicle that noone makes tires for. Fail. It's actually pretty frustrating at this point as I need new tires and don't want to resort to whatever I can rummage up at wal-mart's discount rack of no-name oddball size tires.
Start a thread about it. I'm sure someone will have helpful suggestions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.