Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 02-04-2014, 01:41 AM   #646
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Dick Cepek Fun Country. What's the desl with this tire? What is it?

It looks more aggressive than a typical AT, but less agressive than a typical Hybrid.

So I don't know how to classify it. I guess I might call it an aggressive AT, but that confuses things because that's Goodyear's term for what Cooper (and myself) calls a Hybrid.

Whatever type tire it is, or whatever classification it may be, it is interesting. It's level of aggressiveness is between a typical AT and a Duratrac, IMO.

What do you think of this tire? Has anyone tried it?
Looks like it has big enough voids to clear mud, has 3 ply side walls, and deep tread, three characteristics which most ATs don't have, so it is more hybrid than AT. It's very interesting and hopefully some users will jump in and review it.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #647
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They have made in the past but I don't know if they continue to make an MT version plus two different all terrains in the Fun Country line up. I don't get all into analyzing tires based on appearance but the FC-2 looks pretty much the same as the Cooper ST-C and I go off road with two people than run these two tires and they do just as well as my AT2's did in those situations.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #648
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC the DC FC II will be or is discontinued and the 'fun country' took its place. I looked at them, But IMO kinda like a mild MTZ/Fierce attitude. They are too new to get many reviews on them, But do look like a 'happy medium'. The FC II wasn't aggressive enough I guess!
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #649
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Only 4 tires in the Cepek lineup now - Mud Country, Crusher, and two new ones - Trail Country and Fun Country, which apparently replaced the FC II.

http://www.dickcepek.com/tires.php
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #650
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Looks like it has big enough voids to clear mud, has 3 ply side walls, and deep tread, three characteristics which most ATs don't have, so it is more hybrid than AT. It's very interesting and hopefully some users will jump in and review it.
Agreed, but it's voids appear slightly smaller than most other hybrids I've seen. Kind of a less agressive hybrid, IMO. That could be a good thing for someone wanting that.
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #651
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The DC fun country, per my friend, seems to work real good on Moab slick rock and better than my old style MTR's.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #652
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The FC2 was was one of my favorite AT or hyrid tires. I was never sure which it was. Maybe a happy medium between AT & Hybrid.

My only complaint with FC2 was no narrow sizes. That's why I never bought them.

I'm sorry to hear it's gone.
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #653
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's been snowing like crazy here all day. It snowed dry snow for first half the day. Then snowed wet snow second half the day.

This is the first time I had my Cooper AT3 in/on snow.

They do fine on dry snow (but what tire doesn't?).

On wet snow they're OK if snow is deep.

On wet hard packed snow and wet ice they slick. Not enough sipes IMO.

I did not air down. I'm sure airing down would improve traction some.

I am impressed with them in mud, but so much on Winter roads.

---

The BFG AT I used to have were better on snow and ice (but poor on mud).

---

For an AT that's good on Winter roads, I'd like to have a snowflake rated AT. Specifically Hankook ATM, Hercules AT2, Multimile Wild Country XTX Sport LT, or perhaps General Grabber AT2.

All those have more sipes than Cooper AT3, especially the Hankook ATM and Hercules AT2.
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #654
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
For an AT that's good on Winter roads, I'd like to have a snowflake rated AT. Specifically Hankook ATM, Hercules AT2, Multimile Wild Country XTX Sport LT, or perhaps General Grabber AT2.
That snowflake isn't all that great. My Kumho's are snowflaked, and despite being fairly impressive during their first few snowfalls (which were slightly damp blizzards--very deep sticky snow), they've been quite disappointing. I get the impression that the means of earning that snowflake is about as flawed as any other arbitrary bureaucratic certification system.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #655
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My Cooper AT3 are NOT snowflake rated.

I usually have had luck with tires recommended at Canadian forums. Perhaps we need a maple leaf symbol on tires.

At Canadian forums: The Hercules AT2 are very popular. Same with Hercules Avalanche Xtreme. The reviews about those two tires on Winter roads are excellent. The Mulimile Wild Country XTX, Hankook ATM, and Hankook Ipike also get good reviews for Winter roads.

Perhaps it's a cooincidence, but all those mentioned above that get the excellent Canadian reviews are also snowflake rated.

---

I don't know if BFG AT is still snowflake rated. Is it? I found it reasonably good/decent on Winter roads (way better than Cooper AT3). The Grabber AT2 is snowflake rated, but gets mixed reviews in USA for Winter roads. I've never seen it mentioned at Canadian forums.

Also various Nokian AT and Winter tires are highly touted, but less popular. I assume cost is a barrier.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #656
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It pains me to say this, but I'll be driving my Buick Park Ave with Hankook Ipike Winter tires on it until the roads clear.

The Ipike are very good on Winter roads (even though mine are unstudded). Much better than the Cooper AT3 on my Jeep.

Of course that's to be expected since the Ipike are Winter tires, but they are also good for year round use (when unstudded). I use them year round.

Ipike rated wear life for year round use is 40K miles, but I think mine will last longer. They have 15K miles on them and still look new.
Unread 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #657
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Of course that's to be expected since the Ipike are Winter tires, but they are also good for year round use (when unstudded). I use them year round.
I keep seeing you say this as if they're officially year-round tires, but they're just winter tires like any other winter tires (e.g. Blizzaks or Hakkas or X-ices), aren't they? Hankook doesn't say anything about them being all-season capable on their website, and I haven't found anyone else claiming they especially capable of handling summer as well as winter. Of course you can use any winter tire year-round, but it's never a good idea--they'll wear-out very fast and may or may not have unpredictable handling/traction in the warm temperatures. Do you know something I don't (if so, please share/clarify because I'm curious), or do you just mean that they're winter tires that you personally feel comfortable using year-round despite their intended specialty?

I'm sorry that I feel I have to clarify this, but I'm not criticizing or otherwise judging you. I've just seen you talk about this many times and am still a bit confused about where you're coming from on this one.

Regarding Nokian AT, I was fairly interested in them until I did some deeper digging and research. What I've seen/read does not really impress me. Nokian is king of the winter tire hill, but that supremacy does not seem to have carried over to their AT. I gather that they don't suck, but I have determined that there's no real overwhelming reason to buy them; anything they can do, multiple other tires can do better it would seem. Reminds me of Revo 2's--I want to believe they're good for something because they're not BAD tires, but there's just no real reason to pick them.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #658
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I never used the word "official". You used that word.

Ipikes aren't anything like Blizzaks. Different type tire with a slightly different purpose.

Blizzaks offer better Winter traction than Ipikes, but Blizzaks only last 15K to 20K miles when used only in Winter. Blizzaks are for Winter only.

Ipikes don't offer quite as good Winter traction as a dedicated Winter only tire like Blizzak, but Ipikes last 40K miles (if unstudded) used year round.

Different type tire. My tire store explained this to me. Seems to be correct. I have 15K year round miles on my Ipikes and they still look new. Try that with a Blizzak.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #659
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We have had a ton of snow this year in my area, Dry, Wet, Hard pack, Ice/black ice you name it. This last storm dumped another 10" in my area 4 of which is dry.

The only complaints my father and I had with the at3's over the old m/t tires, Were lack of biting lugs in deep snow. He has been doing a lot of running for me and said that they are night and day on road and perfect!

Stock TJ with 31's and 15x10" wheels, 3.73 with posi. He said one morning that the roads were bad and deep, He missed the side lugs for stopping and forward bite. He started picking up and dropping off family since the tire swap.

I drove around 50 miles today on many types after you're post for the fact I have the same conditions right now
. I wanted to see if it is lack of experience with driving on those type of conditions or if the tire was lacking.
The tires are glue everywhere except for the people who think they can drive like summer, Year around. More sipes? That's all the tire is, Is one big sipe(s) with a deep tread void.
To each their own, I thought they were great in all the 2wd I used instead of 4wd in all. I think you expect too much from any tire to perform like a m/t in mud, Winter tire in winter etc or don't have enough snow wheel/seat time and how to control a rig in certain conditions.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #660
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a lot of snow and ice driving experience and I'm good at it. To fully challenge and test the AT3 & Ipike I did NOT air them down. That was a mistake and is where I expected to much from both tires.

My Ipikes struggled today too. Packed snow turned into glare ice. So that's a partial vindication for Cooper AT3. Any unstudded tire will struggle on that, but the Ipikes were better on it..

No doubt I do want a lot from a tire. Perhaps more than any tire can deliver. However, that makes me a critical (good) reviewer IMO. Since I'm a tough reviewer, you know the AT3 was good in mud for me when I said it was.

I didn't air down the AT3 or the Ipikes for the Winter roads. So that's part of why they both struggled. Tomorrow I'm airing down both of them. Still nasty here and getting worse.

In future, I have decided to priorititize Winter traction over mud traction. To that end, my next tire will be Hercules AT2 (lots of sipes), and I'll always air down in future, even when testing and challenging a tire on purpose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.