Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Cherokee Exhaust ManifoldsJeep Wrangler Exhaust Manifold

Unread 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #616
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
My Cooper at3 have m+s snow flake on them.
Really? Last I heard they were not snowflake rated and Cooper didn't plan to try to get them rated/aproved.

Has that changed? Are you sure your AT3 have snowflake symbol?

What size and load rating tire do you have?

Unread 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #617
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Im fairly certain the cooper starfire and the LT tires in that name or number are made in mexico and china. My sister bought a set of the starfires and two said mexico and two china. When I got them, I got them super cheap and they are coopers non badged 'house brand' or so I was told/read.

I was driving her car when one blew, Week old and nothing but honest DD, It was the Mexican tire! Had them replaced with chinas and have never had a problem since. They are on a mustang and not one burn out or anything you would relate to mustang and new tires lol.

Some larger swampers are made in china or were at one point. The LTB's were, Mainly above 35". I don't know if they still are, But when they came out on the market, Double the tread, Half the price. They did last the same if not a tad/mile(s) better too.

But for the most part, Tires listed are made in coopers akron plant. As mentioned, Sidewall is a give away along with same weights and listed sizes.
Before denman tire went out of business, They made ground hawgs, Swampers and pitbull tires. The pitbulls and TSL shared the same sidewall mold/casting, Only difference was the compound and tread.

Im not a BFG fan and have ran all their tires. But the new KO2, It might draw me back if true to size, Better sidewall and deeper tread voids. I need biting edges on my trail TJ, But if I could get away from dumping $$ on something very comparable, Id play ball if the price was decent as mentioned.
Unread 02-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #618
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I'm fairly certain that the Hercules All Trac AT is made in China. It was at one point at least (not sure what other models were if there were others). There was a ruckus a few years ago regarding recalls that hurt their reputation despite the recalls only involving Chinese-made tires and not their American-made tires. http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...trac-a-t-tires

Here is a list of Tire companies by ownership for anyone who is interested. This is not a list of where the tires are made but a list of countries to where the money ultimately flows. Some American companies manufacture abroad, and some foreign companies have manufacturing in America. Subsidiaries are listed in parenthesis. Subsidiaries may or may not have specific headquarters in countries separate from their parents. Some of these companies or their subsidiaries own shares in competitors' companies (e.g. a European subsidiary of Bridgestone is the larges minority shareholder of Nokian; Cooper owns ~10% of Kumho). Yeah, it's not as simple as some of your thought, right?

If a list of where tires are manufactured is desired, I could probably put one together, but it would be significantly more work. Manufacturing is much more complicated as companies often manufacture in multiple locations in multiple countries and manufacturing location can often vary by model and/or market. It's very messy.

American
  • Goodyear (Dunlop (Fierce), Kelly)
  • Cooper (Mickey Thompson (Dick Cepek), Dean, Mastercraft, Starfire, Avon, Roadmaster, Chenshan, Austone, Fortune, Mentor)
  • Hercules

Japanese
  • Bridgestone (Firestone)
  • Yokohama
  • Toyo (Nitto)
  • Multi-mile
  • Falken (some relation to Goodyear through Dunlop Falken Tires, Ltd.)

French
  • Michelin (BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber, Tigar, Riken, Kormoran)

German
  • Continental (General)

South Korean
  • Hankook
  • Kumho
  • Nexen

Chinese
  • Nankang
  • Federal
  • Kenda

Indian
  • Apollo

Finnish
  • Nokian
I'm pretty sure Dean is out of business. It's more popular old school treads are made by Hercules, and Hercules also offers new designs like its AT2.

I think Multimile is USA. Not positive, but I think so.
MM hired Cooper to make the Wild Country XTX Sport LT, which is one of my favorite tires.

General tire is owned and are made by Continental. So General is German owned. Not sure where they're made. Possibly German or USA made (depending on which tire). I used to know this, but forgot.

BFG is French owned. Where are they made now?

The best car tires I ever owned (all season) were a set of cheap Uniroyal. I loved them. I highly recommend them for all season tires, but I don't think they make all terrain tires.
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #619
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Really? Last I heard they were not snowflake rated and Cooper didn't plan to try to get them rated/aproved.

Has that changed? Are you sure your AT3 have snowflake symbol?

What size and load rating tire do you have?

The 31-10.50-15LT cooper at3 's I just got a couple weeks ago, Do not have the snowflake on them. Or at least my sister said she could not find it anywhere on the sidewall.
Im 45+ miles away from them lol. But I don't trust her 100% lol, Ill check for sure tomorrow, But I don't remember them having it, Only my GGAT2's did.
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #620
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

General tire is owned and are made by Continental. So General is German owned. Not sure where they're made. Possibly German or USA made (depending on which tire). I used to know this, but forgot.

The Grab AT2s on my pickup & Jeep are made in Mexico. Some sizes are made in France. Most sizes made in USA.

Most all BFG tires are made in US.

Tire Rack lists country of mfr for every tire they sell.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #621
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think Multimile is USA. Not positive, but I think so.
MM hired Cooper to make the Wild Country XTX Sport LT, which is one of my favorite tires.
Multi-mile is ultimately Japanese.
Quote:
For anyone who is interested in getting to know a little more about this company:

Multi-Mile Tires is a part of TBC private brands owned by TBC Corporation which is controlled along with corporations like Midas, National Tire & Battery, and many others by Sumitomo Corporation, a Japanese sogo shosha.

http://www.multimiletires.com/
http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/
http://www.tbccorp.com/
http://www.sumitomocorp.com/
http://www.sumitomocorp.co.jp/english/
If you're referring to manufacturing, I don't know--I wasn't about to jump down that rabbit hole. My list is in regards to who owns who and where they're ultimately headquartered and call home, and it is accurate to the best of my ability. This wasn't just me paging through Wikipedia, this was a fair amount of work cross-referencing using corporate sites, news media, financial/stock market databases, etc.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #622
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Probably not because it will be expensive, price is my only caveat with the BFG's (same as the Duratracs those things cost too damn much) But people looking to buy the current T/A KO might be able to pick them up when the KO2 comes out greatly discounted! I just took a gamble on a controversial mud tire last week so I'm going to see how this one plays out.

I ran these tires down to 8/32 tread so they look pretty worn but I don't think they come with that much tread to begin with.
You're gonna have everyone wondering what that controversial MT is. Hope you give a review after wringing it out.

What tire was that with 1/4" tread left, GAT2? They only have 16/32" new.
Unread 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #623
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
You're gonna have everyone wondering what that controversial MT is. Hope you give a review after wringing it out.

What tire was that with 1/4" tread left, GAT2? They only have 16/32" new.
If you guys get into a mud tire discussion, please do it in a mud tire thread, or start a new thread.
Unread 02-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #624
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

speaking of mud i took the 225/75/16 hankook dynapro atm's thru some the other day in the zj and they did a lot better than i expected

just felt like some deep snow is all , never got stuck or spun out

after 1.5 year's and 20,000 miles just traction and more traction
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #625
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you guys get into a mud tire discussion, please do it in a mud tire thread, or start a new thread.
He made a passing reference to an anonymous MT, while discussing the Grabber AT2 and I wasn't suggesting he review it in this thread and was giving him the Grabber AT2 new tread depth, so you outran your headlights.
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #626
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209
You're gonna have everyone wondering what that controversial MT is. Hope you give a review after wringing it out. What tire was that with 1/4" tread left, GAT2? They only have 16/32" new.
That was the AT2 that I just removed for an MT and they measured 8/32 as they sit on my garage. I don't plan on reviewing any MT tires here
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #627
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

The Toyo's on our JK are made in the good old U S of A, in Georgia.
Ya'll should get your facts straight.
Opinions on the other hand, well you know what they say...
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #628
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk403
The Toyo's on our JK are made in the good old U S of A, in Georgia. Ya'll should get your facts straight. Opinions on the other hand, well you know what they say...
Where something is manufactured isn't the topic here...
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #629
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm fairly certain that the Hercules All Trac AT is made in China. It was at one point at least (not sure what other models were if there were others). There was a ruckus a few years ago regarding recalls that hurt their reputation despite the recalls only involving Chinese-made tires and not their American-made tires. http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...trac-a-t-tires

Here is a list of Tire companies by ownership for anyone who is interested. This is not a list of where the tires are made but a list of countries to where the money ultimately flows. Some American companies manufacture abroad, and some foreign companies have manufacturing in America. Subsidiaries are listed in parenthesis. Subsidiaries may or may not have specific headquarters in countries separate from their parents. Some of these companies or their subsidiaries own shares in competitors' companies (e.g. a European subsidiary of Bridgestone is the larges minority shareholder of Nokian; Cooper owns ~10% of Kumho). Yeah, it's not as simple as some of your thought, right?

If a list of where tires are manufactured is desired, I could probably put one together, but it would be significantly more work. Manufacturing is much more complicated as companies often manufacture in multiple locations in multiple countries and manufacturing location can often vary by model and/or market. It's very messy.

American
  • Goodyear (Dunlop (Fierce), Kelly)
  • Cooper (Mickey Thompson (Dick Cepek), Dean, Mastercraft, Starfire, Avon, Roadmaster, Chenshan, Austone, Fortune, Mentor)
  • Hercules

Japanese
  • Bridgestone (Firestone)
  • Yokohama
  • Toyo (Nitto)
  • Multi-mile
  • Falken (some relation to Goodyear through Dunlop Falken Tires, Ltd.)

French
  • Michelin (BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber, Tigar, Riken, Kormoran)

German
  • Continental (General)

South Korean
  • Hankook
  • Kumho
  • Nexen

Chinese
  • Nankang
  • Federal
  • Kenda

Indian
  • Apollo

Finnish
  • Nokian
"Where something is manufactured isn't the topic here..."

Uh-huh.
Unread 02-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #630
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Toyo is a Japanese owned company. It's good to know some of their tires are made in USA. Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.