Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #571
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I checked sizes availability of GY Adventurer.
I think it's a good tire of available in a size you want.
This tire sounds perfect for my 1 ton but not for my TJ Jeep. 265x75R16 in load range E & black sidewall.

jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #572
wadeholiday

UPDATE and another question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Wade Holiday, I recommend Hankook ATM, Hercules AT2, or Nokian AT for you.

OK,
so after reading all this, and other info, I ordered the hankook ATM,
couldn't find availability on the nokian, and never heard of hercules, but read good stuff about Hankook.

and,
they came in today, and looked small. I had the installed, and in the 265/70 17, they looked smaller hten the Falken wild peak HT tire the deal had put on. tread looked good, but my JKU looked even less jeepy and ready then with the H/T, so before we finished, they pulled 'em. I had 2 choices in stock, Duratrac, same size, and my spare from the previous owner was duratrac 265/70x17 as well. or the 285 70/17. We put one of each on, and I decided to go w/ the bigger one based on all the tire guys feedback and thoughts,
BUT<
within 2 miles, I knew i screwed up. It was less stable side to side (soft sidewalls I guess), and felt much slower. like the jeep was all of a sudden underpowered. I went to a buddy who is an off road guy, and he had me pull up on a rock, and he said it would be an issue with the suspension fully flexed as well without a lift. I don't want a lift! 30K a year, 28 of those K on the road in lake tahoe.

so, the manager said we could go to the smaller 26570/17 duratracs or ...

we came up w 2 other options.

odd size, just a little bigger:

275/70 17 bf goodrich all terrain T/A
or
back to hankook ATM, but in the mid size, 275/70x17.

i have the 285 duratrac on, and noise is fine, grip feel good, freezing rain tonight, but sidewalls seem unstable, reminds me of running too little pressure on my mountain bike. and already, after 50 miles, 2mgg less, and,
big one, Jeep Seems Slower, noticeably.

Any thoughts, feedback.

not an AT guy historically. Been in sports wagons for years, last was bmw 325exi wagon w/ 17s, so used to handing.

Thanks for help!

Wade
wadeholiday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #573
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeholiday View Post
OK,
couldn't find availability on the nokian, and never heard of hercules, but read good stuff about Hankook.and,they came in today, and looked small. I had the installed, and in the 265/70 17, they looked smaller hten the Falken wild peak HT tire the deal had put on. tread looked good, but my JKU looked even less jeepy and ready then with the H/T, so before we finished, they pulled 'em. I had 2 choices in stock, Duratrac, same size, and my spare from the previous owner was duratrac 265/70x17 as well. or the 285 70/17. We put one of each on, and I decided to go w/ the bigger one based on all the tire guys feedback and thoughts,BUT<within 2 miles, I knew i screwed up. It was less stable side to side (soft sidewalls I guess), and felt much slower. like the jeep was all of a sudden underpowered. I went to a buddy who is an off road guy, and he had me pull up on a rock, and he said it would be an issue with the suspension fully flexed as well without a lift. I don't want a lift! 30K a year, 28 of those K on the road in lake tahoe.so, the manager said we could go to the smaller 26570/17 duratracs or ...we came up w 2 other options.odd size, just a little bigger:275/70 17 bf goodrich all terrain T/A or back to hankook ATM, but in the mid size, 275/70x17.i have the 285 duratrac on, and noise is fine, grip feel good, freezing rain tonight, but sidewalls seem unstable, reminds me of running too little pressure on my mountain bike. and already, after 50 miles, 2mgg less, and,
big one, Jeep Seems Slower, noticeably.Any thoughts, feedback.
not an AT guy historically. Been in sports wagons for years, last was bmw 325exi wagon w/ 17s, so used to handing.Thanks for help!
Wade
thoughts ? uh dont buy a tire because of looks and dont think a jeep will do more than .3 g's without scaring the **** out of you
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #574
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
OK,
couldn't find availability on the nokian, and never heard of hercules, but read good stuff about Hankook.

and,
they came in today, and looked small. I had the installed, and in the 265/70 17, they looked smaller hten the Falken wild peak HT tire the deal had put on. tread looked good, but my JKU looked even less jeepy and ready then with the H/T, so before we finished, they pulled 'em. I had 2 choices in stock, Duratrac, same size, and my spare from the previous owner was duratrac 265/70x17 as well. or the 285 70/17. We put one of each on, and I decided to go w/ the bigger one based on all the tire guys feedback and thoughts,
BUT<
within 2 miles, I knew i screwed up. It was less stable side to side (soft sidewalls I guess), and felt much slower. like the jeep was all of a sudden underpowered. I went to a buddy who is an off road guy, and he had me pull up on a rock, and he said it would be an issue with the suspension fully flexed as well without a lift. I don't want a lift! 30K a year, 28 of those K on the road in lake tahoe.

or

i have the 285 duratrac on, and noise is fine, grip feel good, freezing rain tonight, but sidewalls seem unstable, reminds me of running too little pressure on my mountain bike. and already, after 50 miles, 2mgg less, and,

Any thoughts, feedback.

not an AT guy historically. Been in sports wagons for years, last was bmw 325exi wagon w/ 17s, so used to handing.

Thanks for help!

Wade
Put on Hankook ATM. The 4x4 mags rave about their excellent on road handling and cornering. That or Goodyear Adventurer, IMO. Those two sound perfect for what you describe wanting. IMO

Hercules AT2 would also be an excellent choice IMO.

Any of those 3 will offer great street handling and cornering, but especially the Hankook ATM and the GY Adventurer.

Also, get some Monroe Sensitrac shocks.

Lastly, no tire handles good when new. It takes at least 20 miles or a week's time (which ever comes first) in Winter for the bead mounting lube to dry. Until then the tire csn slip on the rim, which causes unpredictable braking and steering during braking. Really scary stuff. Also tire can slip on wheel during acceleration. Any slip of tire on wheel makes it out of balance.

Also, for first 500 to 1000 miles tread has mold release lube on it, which makes tread slick, especially on wet pavement.

So ALL tires handle crappy when new. Drive easy for 1000 miles. Then put them through their paces.

However, a good AT will have better street handling than a more agressive tire like Duratrac.

More agressive tires have more tread squirm. That's probably the mushy feel you felt during cornering. Some of that gets better as tire gets 500 to 1000 miles on it. However, a Duratrac type tire will never offer the more precise steering and handling of a typical AT.

The Hankook ATM, Nokian AT, Goodyear Adventurer, Cooper AT3, Mastercraft AXT, Wild Country XTX, and Hercules AT3 have every other tread block tied together for increased tread stability (better handling, especially better cornering). This gives them better handling than most AT and a lot better than Duratrac.

BFG AT and General Grabber AT2 use a different approach to stabilize treadblocks for good handing. Interlocking treads. This approach is equally (IMO) as effective (as tying every other treadblock together) for improving dry handling cornering (they are made for desert after all), but interlocking tread is prone to hydroplaning easier on wet highway and clogs with mud easily.

Of all the tires mentioned above, I like (for my purposes) the Cooper AT3, Mastercraft AXT, Hercules AT2 and Wild Country XTX best because the handle good and ride soft. Also, the Herc AT2 and Wild Country XTX have exceptionally good Winter traction according to reviews and their gov rated as Winter traction devices.

However, for your needs the Hankook ATM or Goodyear Adventurer are probably best because (IMO) they'd be the best handling of all AT tires. However, they don't ride quite as soft as my favorites.

I've got a bad back. So soft ride is as important to me as good cornering.

The Hankook ATM and GY Adventurer are probably best for you though.

However, whatever tire you get, drive easy for at least a week. Ideally drive easy for a month or two before putting the hammer down.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #575
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

More sidewall = more sidewall flex, good for going over rocks, also you basically geared up your vehicle by putting larger tires on, so its like you are starting out in 2nd, vs first. a gear change in your axles will help that, and just about everybody who runs bigger tires re gears. Also, if you don't plan on going off road, what does having issues at full flex do for you? (also, why did you buy a jeep?) the drop in fuel economy is from the added wight of bigger tires, and the gearing issue, your engine has to work harder to get the tires spinning, If you could cruise around all day at say, 55, you would actually see a better return on mpg's as you've basically given yourself a higher final drive, so fewer rpms/mph, but its only good in flat areas where you don't have to stop then start again.

If you are serious about going off road, go with an AT tire, otherwise stick to passenger tires. My patriot sees about 500-900 miles a month, and at least half of those are on dirt and rock, with a little mud and snow thrown in. I need a tire that will put up with a regular beating from me. and other than simply wearing out too quickly my falkens have been great... I would buy them again if I had gotten at least 25k miles out of them.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:34 PM   #576
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most tire stores will let you return a tire within 30 days.

Drive easy for 2 weeks. Drive moderate 3rd week. Then test em good the 4th week.

Then you get a valid break in period followed by a test, and you still have time to return or exchange if you don't like them.

That's the correct way to break-in and try a tire before deciding if you want to keep it.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:44 AM   #577
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
If you are serious about going off road, go with an AT tire, otherwise stick to passenger tires.
And if you decide to go back to highway tires, let me know
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #578
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
OK,

and,
BUT<

or

Any thoughts, feedback.

Thanks for help!

Wade
I know a tire you would like. Go back to your tire dealer and tell him you want the LT265/70x17 Grabber AT2. Not the SL 265/70x17. It will have nice firm sidewalls and a rubber compound hard enough to give you back your mileage. Guys will jump in here and say that the load E is not good, but I run load E LT245/75x16 Grabber AT2s on a stock '04 Rubi, and it rides fine with tire pressures of 29-30 psi without that tire wiggle you experienced with the Duratracs, works well in the woods, and in snow and ice(it's snowflake rated) without studs, is quiet on pavement, and is stable at speeds up to 80 mph on the hwy. User's say it's also tough enough for rocks, but I don't do that.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #579
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
More sidewall = more sidewall flex, good for going over rocks, also you basically geared up your vehicle by putting larger tires on, so its like you are starting out in 2nd, vs first. a gear change in your axles will help that, and just about everybody who runs bigger tires re gears. Also, if you don't plan on going off road, what does having issues at full flex do for you? (also, why did you buy a jeep?) the drop in fuel economy is from the added wight of bigger tires, and the gearing issue, your engine has to work harder to get the tires spinning, If you could cruise around all day at say, 55, you would actually see a better return on mpg's as you've basically given yourself a higher final drive, so fewer rpms/mph, but its only good in flat areas where you don't have to stop then start again.

If you are serious about going off road, go with an AT tire, otherwise stick to passenger tires. My patriot sees about 500-900 miles a month, and at least half of those are on dirt and rock, with a little mud and snow thrown in. I need a tire that will put up with a regular beating from me. and other than simply wearing out too quickly my falkens have been great... I would buy them again if I had gotten at least 25k miles out of them.
All good info and advice you gave there.

However, his highway gas mileage may or may not improve from the higher gearing. If the engine lugs, gas mileage will decrease. Most likely stay the same from a small increase in tire size, IMO.

Your advice about using all season passenger tires is correct of he never goes off road. However, some good ATs like Hankook ATM or especially Goodyear Adventurer do well on road, get decent gas mileage, and allow off road abilities if ever needed.

A compromise is a tire like BFG Rugged Trail or Rugged Terrain that is (IMO) midway between all season and all terrain. Kumho makes another good one of those (forgot tire name).
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #580
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I know a tire you would like. Go back to your tire dealer and tell him you want the LT265/70x17 Grabber AT2. Not the SL 265/70x17. It will have nice firm sidewalls and a rubber compound hard enough to give you back your mileage. Guys will jump in here and say that the load E is not good, but I run load E LT245/75x16 Grabber AT2s on a stock '04 Rubi, and it rides fine with tire pressures of 29-30 psi without that tire wiggle you experienced with the Duratracs, works well in the woods, and in snow and ice(it's snowflake rated) without studs, is quiet on pavement, and is stable at speeds up to 80 mph on the hwy. User's say it's also tough enough for rocks, but I don't do that.
I have to respectfully disagree. I owned that tire and although it has stiff sidewalls, I didn't like its cornering ability because the sidewalls were so stiff the tires wouldn't stay in contact with road on bumps. I had new shocks.

Also, it had noticeably higher rolling resistance than any other AT I've ever owned.

It's a great tire for someone wanting one of the toughest AT made, but I found its street manners not to my liking.

The Hankook ATM and Goodyear Adventurer are two of the toughest ATs made, and all reviewers I've ever read rave about their street handling and cornering abilities. They also get good reviews for off road ability. The Adventurer also gets good reviews for gas mileage.

All tires mentioned in this post are snow flake rated.
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #581
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Did you recently buy some GY Adventurers, Charley? I've noticed that very recently you've been speaking as if you know things about them from experience. "The Hankook ATM and Goodyear Adventurer are two of the toughest ATs made?" Where's the personal experience and/or data. I just recently brought the spotlight back to the Adventurer which you'd previously only made minor mention of due to limited knowledge, but you've been more advocative of it recently.

I've read some reviews on them, and I haven't seen anything extraordinary. I look for extraordinary in reviews because reviews are messy, subjective things--you rarely ever get empirical data or get a great idea of the reviewer's history and priorities. I've seen enough to be fairly sure that GY Adventurer's are "not awful" and probably even "quite decent," but I wouldn't dare risk my credibility to claim anything else without better information and/or personal experience.

Quote:
OK,

and,
BUT<

or

Any thoughts, feedback.

Thanks for help!

Wade
Some of your issue is that you need to get used to how an SUV with higher profile tires handles (your admission that you're coming from sport wagons). All that rubber and air will squirm more than the smaller, lower-profile tires you may be used to. The heavier vehicle and higher center of gravity are also not to be dismissed. Also, like aroundincircles said, changing tire diameter will have effects on your performance. If you go too much bigger without regearing, you will sacrifice power and mpg.

If superficial looks are important to you, that's fine. I'm not that way, but other people are. If they're truly a priority for you, then own it and don't force yourself to get something that doesn't look good to you.

If you don't want to prioritize looks, then don't, and trust that a good tire is a good tire no matter how it looks. If you're truly on the road over 90% of the time, then you don't need anything aggressive (assuming that other 10% isn't too extreme) and shouldn't feel pressured into getting tires that aren't ideal for your needs. Hell, if you're on the road that much, you don't even need an AT tire (assuming again that they other 10% is mild). If highway/touring tires are a possibility for you, here's one of my old posts that should have lots of info for you. The context of some of what you'll read is that this was directed at someone with a WK who was looking for an alternative to their Goodyear TripleTreds prior to a cross-country trip.

I'd like to add BFG Rugged Terrain as a possibility for you as well since they're aggressive highway tires (or mild AT tires if you prefer) that have decent looks. Additionally, I don't share Charley's distaste for General AT2. It is everything the BFG AT is and more (imo) with a smaller price tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Here's my bottom line. These are the ultimate contenders you should be considering in my opinion, so let's split a few hairs:
  • Firestone Destination LE2: A highway tire, but a fantastic one. In my opinion, unless some new tires really prove themselves, it is the only choice in the highway category for SUVs.
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia: Ironically, as great as this tire is, its handling may be a little worse than the TripleTreds when pushed to its limits such as higher speed cornering. This tire is quite popular and is a fantastic choice, but I feel like the REAL choice is between the two following tires because they're all the Dueler H/L is and more. Food for thought: compare the tread pattern of this tire to the FS Dest LE (not LE2). VERY similar. Both have been all-star tires, but FS has decided to leave the tread pattern behind. I'm not trying to imply anything; there's way more to a tire than just its tread pattern especially since I'm talking about tires from two different categories here, but it is food for thought nonetheless.
  • Pirelli Scorpion Verde: The bottom line here is that this is the Dueler H/L but with better handling and better traction in less than ideal conditions (water, snow). I believe that from your perspective, this is also all the TripleTreds are to you as well as better handling and nicer ride.
  • Continental CrossContact LX20: A VERY close call between this on and the Scorpion Verde. Long story short, if temps will be warmer with more rain encountered, the Continental would be my choice. If colder temperatures are in the forecast with snow likely to be encountered, the Pirelli (and maybe even the Dueler H/L even more so) will likely handle the snow better. I'm REALLY splitting hairs at this point; you can't lose with either one.
(Yeah, I know, my two picks weren't even on your list to begin with. If for some reason you don't have access to them, my pick is the Dueler H/L hands-down.)

Rolling resistance is quite low on all of the tires above, so I wouldn't be concerned about fuel economy. Being a different class of tire, I'm not sure how the FS Dest LE2 compares to the tourers, but as a highway tire, it is quite easy on fuel.

Make sure you get a tire with a load rating appropriate to your vehicle. According to wkjeeps.com, your 2wd 4.7 WK has a curb weight of 4368 lbs. Like Charley3 said, tire pressure is super important, and do not trust the tire shop to get it right.

You know, if your heart isn't really in your current Jeep, and you're planning on selling it soonish and don't feel that buying new tires is a good investment for you, TripleTreds are great tires. I've made numerous comments about how other tires are better, but they may not be better ENOUGH to justify the cost for a few months of ownership. You may not be too happy with the TripleTreds, but are you sure your problem is definitely with THEM and not your WK? Do they have the appropriate pressure? It's amazing how so many people, including professionals, get a simple thing like tire pressure all wrong. More pressure is not necessarily better, nor is less pressure. Every vehicle has an ideal tire pressure for a given tire size and application. I'm not telling you that your WK is to blame or that getting better tires won't be a good investment. If I was you, I'd give a new, better tire a go despite how good TripleTreds are especially if a WK2 uses the same tire size and your local shop would just swap them to the new vehicle for you when that day comes. I'm just exploring some thoughts I've had based on comments you've made.

Regarding other things to get it ready to go...fresh fluid changes beforehand for sure. Give your brakes a thorough check-up, and if you're almost due for a tune-up, you might as well get that out of the way before the trip as well. I'm not sure how or where the spare tire is secured on a WK, but make sure it's in good shape and will be able to be accessed/removed (for example, the underbody ones really like to rust into place) if needed. Make sure you've got some emergency roadside gear packed: jumper cables, handful of commonly-needed tools, lights/flares, rain coat, first aid, etc.

P.S. "Highway tire" and "all season" are not mutually exclusive as Charley3 seemed to imply earlier. All of the tires I've discussed are "all season" tires while ALSO being either "highway" or "touring."

P.P.S. *BLUSH* I read through this thread a few times and only this last time caught the part where Charley3 referred to me. I'm flattered. Had I gotten to you first, I'd have referred you to him. He and I don't always feel the same ways about things, but we're both "tire guys" who are pretty active around here, and I respect the hell out of him and his opinions. Like anyone, my advice comes with my own biases, so I welcome feedback/disagreement/counterpoint/devil's advocacy/etc. You may want to ask the WK guys in that forum if there's anything WK-specific to be aware of for a long trip.

IMPORTANT! DISCLAIMER! I just saw your profile say that you're using GY Fortenza (you mean Fortera?) TripleTreds. I'm only familiar with the GY Assurance TripleTred All-Season. The Fortera model was the truck/SUV version and has been discontinued; it did get similar reviews to the Assurance, though; for this reason I will leave any comments/comparisons I've made to the TripleTreds in place above.

Fortera TripleTred vs Assurance TripleTred
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #582
wadeholiday

good info,thx

Lots of abuse here for looks, and why did you get a jeep,

truth, my children talked me into it. after a week in moab, for a mt bike trip, where we did a tour w/ Dan Mick on hells revenge, my teenagers really wanted a jeep. we do lots of mountain biking, hiking, backpacking and paddleboarding, and they thought a jeep would get us to some access points we can't get to now. as I said, 30K a year, and 2K miles a year off road, not no off road.

I had softened the girls up to a grand cherokee or cherokee trailhawk, but then we took a long unlimited test drive, and all my girls loved it (kids and wife).
So, I sold the beemer, and got an unlmited.

I have come to love it, already have 5K on it in the last 6 weeks, w/ the falken wild peak H/T it came with, but in our 2 off road trips, the tires sucked. THe unlimited has exceeded my expectations before buying it, and unlike many cars I've owned, I like it better every day. I grew up w/ a CJ 7 as my daily driver, and my family was a 4x4 and motorcycle family, and that thing was a pain to drive; this one, Great!

So, I know how an SUV drives, this 285 duratrac is much worse though, it reminds me of driving blizzaks, soft and squirmy.

on any car, I think a tire should look balanced to the car, so those that are giving me **** for appearance, I'll take it. cars w/ too big or too small a tire have an out of balance look, and often an out of balance feel.

after a foot of snow last night, I took out the duratracs, and they were terrible on ice and snow. we took my wifes minivan to ski this AM because it handles like it's on rails w/ the xice 3. Speaking of that, for the last 25yrs in snow country, I have used specific winter tires, but thought w/ it being Feb already, and a terrible snow year, I'd just go AT and wait until next winter to get a winter.

thanks again, I ride lots of mt bike tires, and people call me to see what to buy, but I don't know AT tires so I appreciate the help for people that have used em.

So, after my thoughts and reading this, I think the next size up in the ATM may be the answer, 275/70x 17. The stiffer sidewall of the BF goodrich sounds good though, and maybe a better accent to a snow tire in winter.

discount guys think the BG goodrich is best.

thx,
Wade
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #583
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, the Duratrac is a very aggressive tread, so it will be especially squirmy. I'm surprised that you feel they handled snow so poorly. I don't have any significant time spent on Duratracs, but I often see people say they're very satisfied with their performance on snow and have never seen anyone say they're terrible in snow (until now). It's not fair to any non-winter tire to be compared to a winter tire for snow performance, though. No highway, touring, AT, or MT tire will ever match in snow what a winter tire can do.

Mountain biker here myself. As an off-topic, what kind of riding do you usually do, and what are your favorite tires for it? I'm a MTB tire freak myself. I have some favorites, but this coming year I'm going to try something new--WTB Moto in the front with a WTB Nano in the rear for some local technical XC stuff.

Your situation sounds quite similar to my own. I spend most of my time on the road. Off road, my vehicle is merely a means to get from point A to point B for work or for play (biking). Rarely, if ever, does that mean anything very extreme. Depending on what wheels I can get a deal on in the future, I may easily be using Pirelli Scorp Verdes or Conti LX20's instead of AT tires. If I end-up sticking to 15" wheels, I'm not sure what I'll choose after my current tires have run their course as neither the Verdes nor the LX20's come in a size that would work. If I keep 15" wheels, highway choices will be Firestone LE2 or General HTS; AT choices will be Hercules AT2, General AT2, Cooper AT3, Toyo AT2, Nokian AT, Firestone AT, Yokohama ATS, and maybe one or two of the Goodyear Wrangler family. That list will almost certainly change by the time my Kumhos die. Either way, I'll probably be running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 in the winter on my old wheels.
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #584
wadeholiday

Yes, I think the reason the duratracs were bad is that I compare them to my wifes car, and my beemer, which had pirelli sotozero winter's on it.
that is another thing I have to think on, I only have 3 mo of winter left, but maybe I'll get a winter tire, and then change to one of these, probably, bfg all terrain in april.

as far as my favorite mtb tires right now, I"m a fan of the wtb vigilante 2.3, tcs front, team issue rear. prior to that, schalbe hans damp front, nobby nic rear, but I like wtb as a local nor cal company. another aside about size... i just got some new mtb rims and am lacing them up, 40mm wide derby. we'll see about how the really wide rim thing works, I like to run low pressure, and believe the really wide rims will be great. riding is lake tahoe XC, some enduro/super D races like downieville and northstar.

why no love in this thread for bfg At? seems well loved elsewhere. Manager at discount says he ran the ATM rf10, but went back to bfg AT and its his favorite.

Thx!
Wade
Unread 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #585
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

bfg a/t = worst tire ever except n the desert then it is mediocre

manager got them cheap or free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.