Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #556
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
A quick Google image search came up with this; didn't even go to Goodyear's website.

Hope this helps.

Jay
Problem with your info is we are talking about a different tire.

Unread 01-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #557
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=silvanus;19760057]I bought a set of five GY Adventure AT's in October. They've got 2.7K on them. My TJL is a DD, and have driven through slush,snow, rain, and they handled the wintery stuff flawlessly! Also, they balanced well and ride super smooth! My MPG gained a little to boot.

Keep us informed about these tires as these are the ones I'm planning for my 1 ton diesel PU.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #558
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I share your questions about the nature of Goodyear's kevlar usage. Where is it? What is it for? Is it better than an alternative material? If so, why/how? I wish they were more transparent about it instead of basically just saying, "Kevlar!" while doing jazz hands.

Great, Goodyear--kevlar. I get it. What about it?

"Um....kevlar!" (jazz hands)
I lived in the ghetto when I put my silent armor w/Kevlars on. I use to claim they were bullet proof, so don't even bother trying to shoot em up.

JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #559
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Silvanus, how come you chose Goodyear Adventurer over Silent Armor or another brand of AT?

I'd be interested to hear your reasons.
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #560
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Haven't had a chance to do any meaning full trail exploring yet, but when I do I'll plug in a report.
They're a good Tire for what I need, being that they're a newly designed tread it'll be a few years before we know they're a worthy AT!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #561
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Problem with your info is we are talking about a different tire.
Sorry about that; didn't read the thread, just skimmed over the last couple of pages.

Anyway, here's the information I could find with another Google search, but with the correct tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Fogelson
Wrangler is built much like any other steel-belted radial tire, except a layer of Kevlar replaces the usual layer of nylon cord. Starting from the outside, there's the tread, then a layer of Kevlar (one layer for standard load tires, and two layers on the Light Truck or "Pro Grade" version), then two steel belts. Replacing the nylon layer with Kevlar results in a tire that's lighter, stronger and more puncture-resistant than before.
http://suvs.about.com/od/tiresandwhe...ith-Kevlar.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_Lee
By the end of 2013 Goodyear plans to have a full lineup of 44 Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar sizes, with 20 of those sizes Pro-Grade LT fitments. The Pro-Grade LT sizes are all Load Range E tires and feature an enhanced tread compound to resist chipping and chunking. Additionally, the Pro-Grade-designated LT sizes offer two layers of Kevlar atop the steel belt for greater durability, and a heavier-duty steel belt package with 30-percent more steel than non-Pro-Grade fitments
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-r...e-with-kevlar/

From that, it appears that the Wrangler AT Adventure & Wrangler Silent Armor have similar construction (LT AT Adventure having 2 layers of Kevlar & 30% more steel), with tread pattern and compound being the distinction between the two.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...75807957200000

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...75850718900000

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #562
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well Charley,

I chose the Adventure AT cause I recently changed my job with an 77 mile daily commute ( to & from work ) also I wanted a strong tire for my two track trail exploring.
I did a great deal of research and decided on the Adventure AT, I've been a BFG guy since 1991, so it was time for a change.
Plus I wanted a strong sidewall for load capacity and trail protection that a number of AT's didn't possess.

Nothing against the other AT's, I like the looks and construction of the Adventure that's it. Isn't that what it's about, buying what we like!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #563
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The GY Adventurer looks and reads to be a great AT, but I still want to know about its mud ability.

So I'll be very interested to read Silvanus' future reports.

On thing that is already clear to me is this is one of the best on road ATs I've ever seen. 60K mile warranty and all. And unlike most super street friendly ATs, this one is tough.

I think Silvanus made a good choice for a DD Jeep that drives a 77 x 2 mile commute every day.

However, I can't imagine wanting to drive an LJ 152 miles a day. That's what luxury cars are for.
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #564
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a user review I found for Goodyear Adventurer.

It includes tires pics.

Observe the ridges between treadblocks. They aid self cleaning by helping reduce mud suction.

See review and pics here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...re-review.html
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #565
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
Sorry about that; didn't read the thread, just skimmed over the last couple of pages.

Anyway, here's the information I could find with another Google search, but with the correct tire.

http://suvs.about.com/od/tiresandwhe...ith-Kevlar.htm

http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-r...e-with-kevlar/

From that, it appears that the Wrangler AT Adventure & Wrangler Silent Armor have similar construction (LT AT Adventure having 2 layers of Kevlar & 30% more steel), with tread pattern and compound being the distinction between the two.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...75807957200000

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/...75850718900000

Jay
Good find. Just as I suspected, the Kevlar isn't in the sidewall.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 12:58 PM   #566
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Here's a user review I found for Goodyear Adventurer.

It includes tires pics.

Observe the ridges between treadblocks. They aid self cleaning by helping reduce mud suction.

See review and pics here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...re-review.html
I read this review. Thanks. This convinces me even more that this is the tire for my Ford diesel 1 ton PU in their "Pro-Grade" load range E. But, for my TJ Rubicon I'm still considering the DuraTrac load range C for my desert & Mnt. off road driving when my OE old style MT/R's finally wear out. If Interco starts to make the TrXus MT in 255X85R16 size again I might also re-consider this tire for my Rubicon, if I could get a set that was round and balanced good.
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #567
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I've read most of this thread... (its taken me a long time) and I'm honestly no closer to picking a tire.... I currently run 245/65-17 tires.. But they are just about worn out. and will need to be replaced, I was hoping to get 15" rims with some MT tires, but they are wearing out faster than I was expecting (i'll only get about 12k miles out of them) so I don't think i'll have the $ saved up to get the tires and rims I want, so I I think I'll stick with my current size on my current rims.

These are my options:
Dick Cepek Trail Country - $149.00 at tire rack
KumhoRoad Venture AT KL78 - $124.00 at tire rack
BridgestoneDueler A/T Revo 2 - $158.00 Tire rack
FirestoneDestination A/T - $155.00 Tire rack
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - $147.00 at dt direct
Cooper Discoverer ATP - $150.00 at dt direct
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S - $154.00 dt 155.00 dtd $140.00 tr
Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar - $173.00 tr 188.00 dtd
BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A - 176.00 dtd 173.00 dt
BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A - 173.00 dtd $159.00 tr 171.00 dr
Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 - $118.00 dr 150.00 dtd
Pathfinder Sport S A/T - $126.00 dtd $130.00 dt

I do a lot of off roading, I currently have Falken Rocky mountain AT tires, and other than wearing out super quick, they have held up really well, no chunking, no holes or slices, cuts, etc. you would think they were just a 40k mile tire, not a 10k mile tire. my Jeep gets about 700-900 miles a month on it max, and about 1/3-1/2 of those are on dirt, aired down to 15psi.

are there any you would rule out first? I think that's the biggest thing. Not "which is the best" as there is no "best" tire, but there are "worst" tires for sure.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #568
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest ruling out load E tires for sure. Probably load D too. Look for load C.

C are tough enough and light enough. They ride more comfortably (softer) too. Also C get a lot better gas mileage than D or especially E.

Beyond that, I need to study your list more before making any other suggestions.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #569
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I checked sizes availability of GY Adventurer.

The only R15 size is 31 x 10.5 R15 and the 245 & 265 sizes do not offer a load C option.

So essentially a severe shortage of sizes I'd want in load rating C.

That's classic GY for ya.

I think it's a good tire if available in a size you want.

But for me, getting a tire in a size I'd want is priority one, and my favorite sizes are 30, 31, & 245C.
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #570
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I have r17 rims currently, and unless something changes drastically, that's what I'm going to be sticking with.

Leaning towards the hankook dynapro atm tires currently, Their price is right, and they get good reviews.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.