Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #541
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Why did you not like your MTRs?

I had 2 sets of the original MTRs and they were excellent for me.
Noisest tires I ever owned. A bit slick on wet pavement and very slick on ice.

Though the last two issues I mentioned could probably have been solved by having tire store add cut sipes.

Also didn't like the rough ride, but that was probably just because they were load E. I might have been OK with the ride if they were load C.

Unread 01-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #542
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Yes, they are not available yet, but I figured that people could read about the MT to get a feel for the quality of the AT when it hits the streets. I agree that they are not exact, but quite similar.

The MT's are pretty hard to find and the prices are not that great.
Lots of MTs out there and prices look pretty decent -

http://www.monarchtires.com/kanati-mud-hog/

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...hen=View+Tires
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #543
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
The Mud Hog tread sure looks like that of the old MTR to me. Apparently they behave differently than the old MTR, so could you tell us how they differ? The Kanatis are not retreads, which is why they are more expensive. Surely the Mud Hog is worth as much discussion in this thread as the old MTR, which you were discussing.
MTR discussion was a digression at most and a sidenote to the retread discussion at least. It's not a topic I want to entertain too much in someone else's thread about AT tires.

I know the Kanatis (part of Greenball Tires, btw) are not retreads. I never said that they were. Did you point that out to me as if to suggest that they're better because they're not retreads? I just recently posted about how retreads are no more dangerous than a new tire with a powerful source to back me up. I assure you it's not my only source either.

I genuinely want to get back to AT discussion. If there's desire for an MT discussion similar to this thread, I suggest that someone make an effort similar to Charley's here to start an MT thread. MT's aren't my forte, but I'd be happy to participate in that discussion nonetheless.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #544
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I know the Kanatis (part of Greenball Tires, btw) are not retreads. I never said that they were. Did you point that out to me as if to suggest that they're better because they're not retreads?
I pointed that out to suggest that because they're not retreads, they couldn't beat Treadwright's prices.
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #545
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I pointed that out to suggest that because they're not retreads, they couldn't beat Treadwright's prices.
Fair enough. I'm a little trigger happy due to a shortage of patience for dealing with people resistant to information such as that which I recently provided on the retread topic. Similar scenarios have occurred elsewhere here as well as in my personal and professional areas of life all within a short amount of time. I've been prone to misunderstandings and other social blunders on top of my normal abrasive self. Please forgive.

In an attempt to get things back on topic...Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar--I'm curious. Anyone have any info on this one? Goodyear's Wrangler family is bloated with bad/redundant tires. Small, somewhat closely-spaced lugs seems like it wouldn't be good for much other than pavement and mild gravel/dirt roads (and adding to the Wrangler "bloat"), but maybe there's something special about it.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #546
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm a little trigger happy due to a shortage of patience for dealing with people resistant to information such as that which I recently provided on the retread topic. Similar scenarios have occurred elsewhere here as well as in my personal and professional areas of life all within a short amount of time. I've been prone to misunderstandings and other social blunders on top of my normal abrasive self. Please forgive.

In an attempt to get things back on topic...Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/ Kevlar--I'm curious. Anyone have any info on this one? Goodyear's Wrangler family is bloated with bad/redundant tires. Small, somewhat closely-spaced lugs seems like it wouldn't be good for much other than pavement and mild gravel/dirt roads (and adding to the Wrangler "bloat"), but maybe there's something special about it.

No need to apologize - I took no offense.

What bugs me is the lack of information GY and other mfrs provide. They just say Kevlar is used, but don't say where. If the Kevlar is in the sidewall, it might be attractive to tough sidewall freaks like me.
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #547
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The family of Goodyear AT tires with small treads Mschi memtioned are actually quite good at certain things. I've owned two sets of them of two different members of the family. Don't remember the names.

They are quite good on road, including Winter roads. I've heard people say not, but those were ALWAYS people who'd bought a usedJeep with worn out tires.

New, and with at least half the tread, they are good on road, including Winter roads. Certainly as good as a typical AT.

They excel on gravel roads and are the best tires I ever drove on gravel because they offer as good gravel traction as any good AT, but unlike other ATs, the small treadblock GY tires don't pick up gravel between treads. Nor do they throw gravel. It's the ideal tread for gravel roads. They're good on sand too.

Were those tires are poor are: No mud traction. At least no more tan an all season tire IME. They also have weak sidewalls if you ever do any real wheeling. These are the only ATs I ever busted off roading.

But those tires aren't intended for offroading. They are for people who just want a good cheap AT that is good on road, Winter roads, and gravel roads. i.e. - people who drive on gravel roads, sand at the beach, and occasional mild off roading; but never any serious off roading.

The Silent Armor (with Kevlar I think?) and whatever the other one with Kevlar is, are exceptions because they are tough enough for serious offroading. The SA has SOME mud ability too (due to little ridges between treads that aid self cleaning). I'm not sure if the other GY AT with Kevlar has those ridges. Silvanus likes one of these tires and last I heard he was buying them for overlanding adventures.

I would buy SA or the other with Kevlar, if I seldom drove on mud. They have some mud ability, but I doubt enough for my needs. There are better AT for mud. But there are none better on gravel roads.

In fact, there are few as good for gravel roads. The BFG Rugged Trail is as good for gravel roads, IMO. The less aggressive, tighter packed treads of these type tires makes them ideal for gravel roads because good traction and don't pick up gravel in between treads.

More aggressive ATs with their larger voids pickup and retain a lot of gravel, and then throw it as speeds increase. The more agressive ATs do not offer any difference in gravel traction. They just pick up and throw more gravel.

More agressive ATs (larger voids) are however better on mud.

For an SUV that sees mostly paved roads and gravel roads, and little or no mud, those small tread, small void, AT tires by GY, BFG, and others can't be beat. IMO
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #548
Shock96

Quote:
Yes, the MT is available, the the AT seems to have yet to see the light of day. That is what I meant.
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #549
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Charley,

My (barely) used '04 46K mile Rubicon came with just such a GY tire with about half tread left. I guess the orig owner couldn't stand the MTR growling dogs, so replaced them with this round shouldered, shallow tread p-metric. Within a few weeks after buying it, I replaced them with Grabber AT2s. I can't imagine putting a tire like that on a Wrangler. It's like an NFL coach putting bowling shoes on his best running back.
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:15 AM   #550
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
Yes, the MT is available, the the AT seems to have yet to see the light of day. That is what I meant.
The Kanati web site says early '14, but most Pre-07 Jeepers won't care if it ever comes out, since it only comes in one 16" size and the rest are 17, 18, & 20s.
Unread 01-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #551
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a set of five GY Adventure AT's in October. They've got 2.7K on them. My TJL is a DD, and have driven through slush,snow, rain, and they handled the wintery stuff flawlessly! Also, they balanced well and ride super smooth! My MPG gained a little to boot.
The carcass of these AT's are the same as the MTR's, I've got the 31" pro grade LT's which has a two ply Kevlar for added strength!

I plan this spring thru fall to see how they perform on the two track roads/old trails here in the Northern New England.

31" ( 30.8 OD ) is perfect size for the TJL!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #552
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanus View Post
I bought a set of five GY Adventure AT's in October. They've got 2.7K on them. My TJL is a DD, and have driven through slush,snow, rain, and they handled the wintery stuff flawlessly! Also, they balanced well and ride super smooth! My MPG gained a little to boot.
The carcass of these AT's are the same as the MTR's, I've got the 31" pro grade LT's which has a two ply Kevlar for added strength!

I plan this spring thru fall to see how they perform on the two track roads/old trails here in the Northern New England.

31" ( 30.8 OD ) is perfect size for the TJL!
I checked these out again on the GY web site and still am not sure where these 2 Kevlar plies are. They just say 2 K plies for added strength, and then in a separate statement say they have Durawall Technology for sidewall strength. They have "Kevlar" in large letters on the sidewall. I get the impression they're subtlety implying the K is in the sidewall, but it really isn't.
Unread 01-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #553
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I checked these out again on the GY web site and still am not sure where these 2 Kevlar plies are. They just say 2 K plies for added strength, and then in a separate statement say they have Durawall Technology for sidewall strength. They have "Kevlar" in large letters on the sidewall. I get the impression they're subtlety implying the K is in the sidewall, but it really isn't.
I share your questions about the nature of Goodyear's kevlar usage. Where is it? What is it for? Is it better than an alternative material? If so, why/how? I wish they were more transparent about it instead of basically just saying, "Kevlar!" while doing jazz hands.

Great, Goodyear--kevlar. I get it. What about it?

"Um....kevlar!" (jazz hands)

New sig rules suck.
Unread 01-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #554
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I share your questions about the nature of Goodyear's kevlar usage. Where is it? What is it for? Is it better than an alternative material? If so, why/how? I wish they were more transparent about it instead of basically just saying, "Kevlar!" while doing jazz hands.

Great, Goodyear--kevlar. I get it. What about it?

"Um....kevlar!" (jazz hands)
A quick Google image search came up with this; didn't even go to Goodyear's website.

Hope this helps.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #555
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Those GY Adventure AT Silvanus bought are one of the small tread AT made by GY that I referred to earlier.

Unlike most other ATs they won't pick up gravel in their treads. I like that.

Beyond that, I'm sure they're good for all things, except maybe mud.

I am always skeptical of small tread, small void ATs for mud. If they have the same or similar little ridges between tread blocks as Silent Armor, perhaps they are OK in mud.

I'll be interested to hear what Silvanus reports about mud.

As for their Kevlar, why wouldn't it be just as good/tough as it is in the GY MTR-K?

I'm sure they put the Kevlar wherever it does the most good. Why would they put it elsewhere? The LT sizes have two layers of kevlar and extra steel. It sounds tough to me.

It mentions a 60K mile warranty. That's the longest AT tire warranty I ever heard of.

It's also Winter rated by gov.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.