Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #526
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
You could take a look at the Multi Mile Wild Country TXR Extreme. They have silica. Only range E though.
It's not made in my size(s) or load range, and it's not an appropriate tread for my needs. i.e. - it's not an AT.

IMO

But thanks for trying to help.

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM   #527
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
i thought silica was just for keeping you from getting zapped by static when you got out of the vehicle
No. Nothing like that.
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #528
Shock96

It looks like an AT. Kinda...More commercial traction I guess.

Here is a good article on silica added to tires.

http://www.tirereview.com/article/59...silica_do.aspx
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #529
Hytek
1998 ZJ 

Update on my Nitto Terra Grappler AT's: These are on my daily driver 04 WJ in 245/65-17 load range C.
So far they have done great in this goofy Chicagoland winter. I've put about 2500 miles on them and they still look new. They are great in deep snow, packed snow, slush, heavy rain, and surprisingly decent on ice. They handled well in -17 icey/snowy conditions as well. Not once have I lost confidence driving with them. I would rate them an 8/10 in my book so far just because they are a bit noisy above 45mph for a mild A/T. I have yet to try them in any off road conditions but intend on it once spring comes around.
And what goods a review without pics right!

Little review of my Duratracs: These are on my 98 5.9 Limited ZJ in 245/75-16 load range C.
By far the best tire I have ever had! I've taken them through the trails, rocks, mud, deep snow, ice, slush, rain, darn near everything and have yet to be let down. I have total confidence in every weather/trail condition I've met so far. I even took a huge rock to the sidewall without damage, however it took a bite out of my wheel. For having a pretty aggressive tread these are surprisingly quite, quieter than my Nittos above. However they are getting noisier the more miles I put on them so time will tell. I've towed twice with them and I was pleased. Excellent on-road manners and outstanding traction in all conditions. 11 out of 10 in my book! My only regret is that I didn't go 1 size bigger as I'm already outgrowing them with my lift.

Unread 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #530
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

searched this thread for Treadwright tires and nothing came up. anyone else use their tires? i've had great luck with them and still use them. they have given me long service life (>50k miles) and excellent traction during the long minnesota winters.
Unread 01-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #531
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger01 View Post
searched this thread for Treadwright tires and nothing came up. anyone else use their tires? i've had great luck with them and still use them. they have given me long service life (>50k miles) and excellent traction during the long minnesota winters.
I have experience with Treadwright Guard Dogs from before the bead-to-bead tech they use now. They weren't my tires, but I put a decent number of miles on them and trust the judgment of their owner who remains very satisfied to this day. I recommend Treadwrights when they're appropriate. Their Pumas are a proprietary tread (I think) while the Wardens are a BFG AT clone. They're both very decent AT tires.

The Guard Dogs are fantastic "mild" MT tires--probably my favorite of their lineup; they are clones of the original Goodyear MTR. If I was ever going to put MT's on my XJ, Treadwright's Guard Dogs would be one of my top picks.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #532
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to own a set of the original Goodyear MTR. I did not like them.

Regarding Guard Dogs, I don't see how a clone of a bad tire tread could be good. Then consider it's a retread clone of a bad tread.
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #533
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
I used to own a set of the original Goodyear MTR. I did not like them. Regarding Guard Dogs, I don't see how a clone of a bad tire could be good. Then consider it's a retread clone of a bad tread/tire.
Why did you not like your MTRs?

I had 2 sets of the original MTRs and they were excellent for me.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #534
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My Rubi take off's I threw on my old 97' were perfect in any element. I never had a problem in ice/snow/wet road conditions. Mud was iffy, But there are a lot of tires geared toward mud that didn't do as good as the OG mt/r.
Unread 01-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #535
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I used to own a set of the original Goodyear MTR. I did not like them.

Regarding Guard Dogs, I don't see how a clone of a bad tire could be good. Then consider it's a retread clone of a bad tread/tire.
Well, if that's how you feel about the original MTR, then, no, it can't be good...for you. However, lots of people like/love them including me, so for us original MTRs are great, and more affordable versions might be even better.

Their chosen AT treads are not to my liking, but if I were running an MT for offroading purposes, it would probably be a no-brainer for me. Their selection in the smaller sizes could be better, too (sad 30" selection and virtually non-existent 235 selection). The Guard Dog is a minimum 31". The Watchman is a Bridgestone Dueler REVO (original) clone--and I'd love to have that--but it is only available in larger sizes.

Retreads are not the devil, and Treadwrights are exceptional retreads. They were exceptional retreads before they had their bead-to-bead rubber tech, and now they're even better. All tires can fail. When a new tire fails, people usually dismiss it more easily as a freak occurence, but when a retread fails, their misconceptions/prejudices lead them to blame the retreading without a second thought. Treadwright's failure rate is comparable to if not better than other "regular" tire manufacturers.

The misconception that retreads are dangerous comes from a variety of factors especially those somewhat unique to the trucking industry. Even in the trucking industry, retreads are not inherently more dangerous than new tires. Source: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...thesis9309.pdf

Here is the conclusion section of the study. If you have questions/criticisms, they're likely addressed earlier in the study, so I suggest reading through it because it is extremely thorough. I understand that reading scientific papers can be boring if not difficult to the point of impenetrable for many people; I am a scientist and had to learn not only how to read but also how to author this kind of literature years ago, so I'll do my best to answer questions if anyone has them.
Quote:
Misunderstandings by the typical road user have incorrectly attributed the nature, extent, and contributing factors precipitating the formation of the roadside alligator. In clarifying this issue, several tire debris studies conducted since 1990 have sought to determine the probable cause of tire failure and to validate or disprove whether a commercial medium- or wide-base truck tire’s retread status is also a contributing factor. The TDS was one of such studies. Executed during summer 2007, this survey involved the collection of 85,000 pounds of rubber that provided approximately 1,500 truck tire samples for subsequent failure analysis.

The TDS results suggest that the proportions of commercial medium tire debris collected according to adjusted VMT shares may not be significantly overrepresented if localized traffic flow characteristics are taken into account. Indeed, the OE versus retread proportions of the collected tire debris broadly correlated with accepted industry expectations. There was a strong similarity between casings and tire fragments with respect to probable damage/failure cause where the OE/retread status was known. In these cases, road hazard or maintenance/operational reasons were two of the top three probable damage/failure causes. The importance of this result suggests that the majority of tire debris items found on the nation’s highways is not a result of manufacturing/process deficiencies. Indeed, similar findings are corroborated in earlier studies of tire debris that also prove the direct link between deficient tire maintenance and inflation pressures and premature tire failure.

U.S. trucking industry practices have strongly influenced the OE/retread tire mix on the typical 18-wheeler tractor-trailer combination (described in paragraphs #1 (page 9) and #4 (page 10)). Insulation of the driver’s cab from the steer/drive versus trailer axle tires has also contributed to the extent that a failure in any tire may go unnoticed by the driver while the vehicle is in operation (discussed in paragraph #4 (page #10)). These two factors, we believe, suggest that the retread tire fragments tested were not overrepresented in the debris items collected. With respect to the tire and truck fleet industry stakeholders, there is the possibility that the TDS results confirm accepted beliefs. In any given location roadside alligators often represent tire debris from all vehicle types as inadequate tire inflation pressure has the potential to precipitate tire failure for all types of tire (i.e., OE and retread) and not just the commercial medium. However, two primary challenges remain: firstly increasing public awareness about the origins, characteristics, and impacts of tire debris, and, secondly, ensuring adherence to the highest standards in commercial driver truck operations and associated tire maintenance. Resolving these challenges has the potential to see a significant reduction in roadside tire debris, correct the understanding of all highway users regarding the origins of the roadside alligator and sustain the attention of all vehicle operators about the importance of maintaining correct tire inflation pressures.
TRB
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #536
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
I have experience with Treadwright Guard Dogs from before the bead-to-bead tech they use now. They weren't my tires, but I put a decent number of miles on them and trust the judgment of their owner who remains very satisfied to this day. I recommend Treadwrights when they're appropriate. Their Pumas are a proprietary tread (I think) while the Wardens are a BFG AT clone. They're both very decent AT tires.

The Guard Dogs are fantastic "mild" MT tires--probably my favorite of their lineup; they are clones of the original Goodyear MTR. If I was ever going to put MT's on my XJ, Treadwright's Guard Dogs would be one of my top picks.
Are you aware there is another clone of the old MTR? It's the Kanati Mud Hog, but is only available in one 15" size - 31x10.5. I'm considering 4 of these in LT245/75R16 to match the unused spare MTR on my '04 Rubicon.

http://www.kanatitires.com/#tires
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #537
Shock96

Interesting! The Kanati tires are copies of the MTR and the Duratrac (Mud Hog AT).

Here are some reviews of the Mud Hog MT

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...reenball-tire/
http://www.x-plorenowxpeditions.com/...d-hogs-review/

Last edited by Shock96; 01-25-2014 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Reviews added
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #538
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Are you aware there is another clone of the old MTR? It's the Kanati Mud Hog, but is only available in one 15" size - 31x10.5. I'm considering 4 of these in LT245/75R16 to match the unused spare MTR on my '04 Rubicon.

http://www.kanatitires.com/#tires
Their tires resemble the Duratrac and the MTR, but they're hardly clones. Regardless, I doubt they could beat Treadwright's prices. Since this is a thread about AT tires and NOT MT tires, the Kanati Trail Hogs are worth some discussion especially given their similarities to Duratracs.
Unread 01-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #539
Shock96

Yes, they are not available yet, but I figured that people could read about the MT to get a feel for the quality of the AT when it hits the streets. I agree that they are not exact, but quite similar.

The MT's are pretty hard to find and the prices are not that great.
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #540
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Their tires resemble the Duratrac and the MTR, but they're hardly clones. Regardless, I doubt they could beat Treadwright's prices. Since this is a thread about AT tires and NOT MT tires, the Kanati Trail Hogs are worth some discussion especially given their similarities to Duratracs.
The Mud Hog tread sure looks like that of the old MTR to me. Apparently they behave differently than the old MTR, so could you tell us how they differ? The Kanatis are not retreads, which is why they are more expensive. Surely the Mud Hog is worth as much discussion in this thread as the old MTR, which you were discussing.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.