Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #511
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Silverstar are 16 x 7 with 5.25" BS.
Silverstars have same BS as TJ Moabs, 5.125". I know Jeep says the Moabs have 5" BS, but I've measured both.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #512
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Silverstars have same BS as TJ Moabs, 5.125". I know Jeep says the Moabs have 5" BS, but I've measured both.
That would make Silverstars more attractive, IMO, than if they had 5.25" BS.

Now I want to measure my Icons to see if they are really 5.25" as most Internet sources claim.

Then I guess I'll also measure my Ecco to see if they are really 5.25" BS as most Internet sources claim.

Most importantly, I want to know who BS of Icon compares to Ecco.
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #513
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Guys, please see post 507 because it's the most recent "completely on topic" post and I've just updated it with new/more info and photos.

I may have found a new favorite AT from a lesser known manufacturer.

See post 507!
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #514
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Then I guess I'll also measure my Ecco to see if they are really 5.25" BS as most Internet sources claim.
I measured the spare Ecco on my brother's '05 X model TJ to be 5.25" on the money.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #515
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I measured the spare Ecco on my brother's '05 X model TJ to be 5.25" on the money.
Cool. Good to know. Thanks!

So Ecco is 5.25" BS.

So Silverstar is 5.125" BS.

Now I need to measure my Icon to see what they really are.

All great to know if I want to run 245/75R16C some day on my XJ.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #516
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As of now, my favorite ATs are (in no particular order): Hercules AT2, Hankook ATM, and Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT.

Since I have a bad back, and Hankook rides a bit less soft than the Cooper AT3, Hercules AT3, and probably Wild Country XTX, the Hankook ATM is out for me.

So next time I buy tires it'll either be Hercules AT2 or Mult-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT. I like their lots of slpes for traction on wet pavement, ice, and packed snow. I like the WC XTX large voids for mud traction.

I'm thinking the WC XTX will probably give excellent ice traction like the Hercules AT2 and give excellent mud traction like the Cooper AT3.

IMO, the WC XTX is like a softer riding Hankook ATM with larger voids, or a cross breed of Hankook ATM wtih Cooper AT3 with maybe a little Hercules AT2. That is my initial opinion of the Wild Country XTX Sport LT, but I'll want to do further research of course.

It's worth noting that the Wild Country XTX Sport LT is available in two of my favorite sizes and load ratings: 30 x 9.5 R15 load C, and 245/75R16 load C, and it's prices are good too.

See post 507 for more info and photos about the Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT.
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #517
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cool. Good to know. Thanks!

So Ecco is 5.25" BS.

So Silverstar is 5.125" BS.

Now I need to measure my Icon to see what they really are.

All great to know if I want to run 245/75R15 some day on my XJ.
No problem, but don't you mean 245/75R16?
Unread 01-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #518
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No problem, but don't you mean 245/75R16?
Yes I meant 16. I corrected it. Thanks.
Unread 01-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #519
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I just saw a local XJ with new Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX AT on it.

They are really good looking ATs with a good mix of small and larger tread blocks, smaller and larger voids, and lots of sipes.

Looks like a really good AT tread design to me. Looks to me like it has the best features of my favorite ATs (Cooper AT3, Hercules AT2, Hankook ATM) all in one tire.

Here is Multi-Mile's webpage about it http://www.multimiletires.com/tires/...ication=SUV-LT

For anyone who is interested in getting to know a little more about this company:

Multi-Mile Tires is a part of TBC private brands owned by TBC Corporation which is controlled along with corporations like Midas, National Tire & Battery, and many others by Sumitomo Corporation, a Japanese sogo shosha.

http://www.multimiletires.com/
http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/
http://www.tbccorp.com/
http://www.sumitomocorp.com/
http://www.sumitomocorp.co.jp/english/

That tire is intriguing, but the look of the tread design is only part of the story, and I've learned not to draw too many assumptions just based on how a tire looks. They also have some pretty uninspired looking tires (but looks aren't everything), and more importantly have a rather skimpy website that uses a lot of important-sounding language with little to no substance (this is unfortunately true of most companies). It's definitely on my radar, but after skimming through some reviews of their products, I'm not holding my breath.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #520
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have been reading reviews on the Wild Country XTX Sport LT. Most reviews say it's good to excellent for traction, noise, wet handling, and ride quality. It's Winter traction is praised often. Also it has a 50K treadlife warranty.

The thing I've come to realize is the Wild Country XTX Sport does NOT have silica in the tread compound. Cooper AT3, Hercules AT2, and Mastercraft AXT do have silica in their tread compound. Why does that matter?

This matters to rolling resistance and gas mileage. Tires with silica have enough lower rolling resistance for the car to be 5% more fuel efficient.

Tires with silica also have better wet and ice traction and better traction on hard packed snow.

So having said all that, I still like the Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT, but I like Hercules AT2 better since it has silica tread compound.

I do prefer the tread design of the Wild Country XTX, but I prefer the tread compound of the Hercules AT2. The tread design of the Hercules AT2 is pretty good too.

So the Hercules AT2 is still my favorite tire. I wish Multi-Mile would start using silica in the tread of the Wild Country XTX. If a future version of WC XTX has silica, I'll be buying it. If not, I'll be buying Hercules AT2.

But first I have to wear out my Cooper AT3, which will take many years.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #521
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm still not automatically sold on the silica thing. Just having silica isn't good enough because, used incorrectly in the rubber, it can be detrimental to grip and tread life. When the technology was first tried, it failed--grip and tread life suffered dearly. Michelin resurrected it in the mid-late 90's, and other companies followed. Michelin found a blend of silica and carbon black that was essentially a win-win. I'm sure other companies have also found the proper way to use silica, but what I'm also sure of is that some companies haven't and are content to use silica and its fame to help them sell tires whether or not they're using it correctly.

Used correctly, a silica-carbon black blend with necessary additives to properly bond the silica to the rubber...
  • increases tread life
  • reduces rolling resistance
  • improves some cold weather characteristics
  • improves wet grip
Used incorrectly, silica...
  • reduces tread life
  • reduces rolling resistance
  • improves some cold weather characteristics
  • decreases wet grip

Here is something you may also be interested in. Researchers in Oregon have had promising initial results from tires with cellulose used to replace a portion of silica in modern tires.http://oregonstate.edu/ua/ncs/archiv...fuel-efficient

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #522
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

AFAIK there are no cellulose tires sold. It's still experimental AFAIK.

I'm interested in things already manufactured and proven to work. Like silica.

Though I do take your point that smaller independent tire companies who are new to silica might not have their own proprietary silica process perfected yet. While larger tire companies like Michelin, Cooper, and Goodyear have certainly perfected their proprietary silica formulas.
Unread 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #523
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Even without silica, I still like the Multi-Mile Wild Country XTX Sport LT. Though I'd like it better if it had silica.

For my next tires I'll either be getting it or Hercules AT2. It's a toss up. Primarily because I'm sure they both have better ice traction than Cooper AT3. I see lots of Canadian online liking Hercules AT2 for year round and Winter. I also see some Canadians liking the Wild Country XTX too.

The Cooper AT3 almost certainly has better mid traction than the Hercules AT2, but I think the Wild Country XTX might be almost as good mud as Cooper AT3. i.e. - I think the Wild Country XTX is versatile and well rounded.

Hankook ATM is another contender, but it doesn't ride quite as soft as those others, and I have a bad back.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #524
Shock96

You could take a look at the Multi Mile Wild Country TXR Extreme. They have silica. Only range E though.
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #525
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

i thought silica was just for keeping you from getting zapped by static when you got out of the vehicle
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.