Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

Huge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #481
Shock96

I just read a blurb online where the Grabber AT2 is a 2 ply sidewall, but the plys are thicker than many 3 ply sidewall. Comparisons to the BFG AT with it's 3 ply 1000 denier nylon vs the Grabbers 2 ply 1500 denier nylon ply. Explains why they are stiff.

Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #482
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
I just read a blurb online where the Grabber AT2 is a 2 ply sidewall, but the plys are thicker than many 3 ply sidewall. Comparisons to the BFG AT with it's 3 ply 1000 denier nylon vs the Grabbers 2 ply 1500 denier nylon ply. Explains why they are stiff.
Sure does explain stiff sidewalls. Good info. Thanks
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #483
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 View Post
I wondered why the GAT2s had such strong sidewalls with only 2 plies. I feel even more confidant with them now. The BFG's more pliable sidewalls are probably due to different rubber compounds.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #484
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I wondered why the GAT2s had such strong sidewalls with only 2 plies. I feel even more confidant with them now. The BFG's more pliable sidewalls are probably due to different rubber compounds.
I think BFG AT more pliable sidewalls are because more plies, each ply thinner, and total plies thinner. So probably less tough than GAT2, but the BFF isz tough enough for me (and most people) and rides way nicer.

I do agree that GAT2 is super tough for an AT. Probably the toughest AT made (and the harshest riding too).
Unread 12-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #485
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like Kumho abandoned the Road Venture SAT. It's listed as closeout everywhere, and they no longer have info on it on their website. It was a good tire--a great tire when the low cost was considered. The aesthetics were/are tacky in MY opinion, and I have to say that while they performed last winter great (they were very new), this winter they've been a let-down. Reviewers who've put miles on them as I have are beginning to say similar things--that things go downhill as they wear. Their lateral stability in and out of snow is still great. Their performance in dry and wet is still great. They are still quiet and comfortable. Acceleration and braking in snow is already not what it used to be, however.

On a related note, I poked around Kumho a little bit, and while I'm not totally sure, I'm pretty sure they've tweaked their Road Venture AT. The price on the AT is incredibly appealing as always, and if they have indeed improved it, I'm very interested. It's not critical that I stay at 225/75r15, but I don't need bigger tires, and this size is very narrow and very light, so I try to stick to it. With the SAT's being discontinued, and the General Grabber AT2 abandoning the size, options are getting slim. I'm not opposed to going to 235's or 30's if necessary, but I still feel a little sad. I'm a weirdo who loves sharp pizza cutters, though. I'd do 215/80 or 205/85 if I could (would probably need 6" wheels). 235/75r15 is quickly becoming the minimum size of choice for AT tire manufacturers, however.

P.S. I did notice on DiscountTireDirect that a tire IDENTICAL to the Kumho SAT is being sold as the Pathfinder Sport S A/T. Even after some light digging, I can't figure out who Pathfinder actually is. "Pathfinder" is not an easy target in Google, but it would seem that they do not have a website, and I'm almost positive that Kumho doesn't own any subsidiaries, so I'm at a loss. I have found some reviews of other Pathfinder tires, and they're...not good. It would seem that Pathfinder is yet another example of DiscountTireDirect's exclusivity name-game nonsense similar to their Falken Rocky Mountains (identical to Wild Peaks but just for DTD) since any review of Pathfinder I found was purchased at DTD.
Unread 12-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #486
Shock96

Everything I have read says Kelly-Springfield makes them, which means Goodyear seeing as KS has been owned by GY for a long time now.
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #487
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is a jeep forum and I have a jeep needing tires and have received very valuable information. Just wondering if I can ask about my Ford truck tires which need replacing also. I'm looking for an all terrain tire. I have a Ford F350 diesel that needs new tires due to cracking in the sidewalls. I'm thinking about the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in "E" rating or the Toyo HT tire also "E" rated. The GY and Toyo ads both say they are good for one ton trucks that tow heavy loads. See GY ad: "Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar tires are also available in Pro-Grade Load Range E sizes for three-quarter and one-ton pickup trucks, vans and SUVs that regularly haul or tow heavy loads. " My one ton PU regularly tows heavy loads. I've had bad luck with Cooper tires due to sidewall cracking and I'm looking for another brand. My Rubicon jeeps mt/r's have given me over 8 years of good sidewalls without cracking. My Ford truck is mostly driven on paved roads and gravel dry roads along with wet and snowy Utah roads.

I'm just wondering if the Goodyear Adventure or the Toyo HT would be the better AT tire. Any personal experience would be helpful.
Thanks
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #488
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
I know this is a jeep forum and I have a jeep needing tires and have received very valuable information. Just wondering if I can ask about my Ford truck tires which need replacing also. I'm looking for an all terrain tire. I have a Ford F350 diesel that needs new tires due to cracking in the sidewalls. I'm thinking about the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar in "E" rating or the Toyo HT tire also "E" rated. The GY and Toyo ads both say they are good for one ton trucks that tow heavy loads. See GY ad: "Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar tires are also available in Pro-Grade Load Range E sizes for three-quarter and one-ton pickup trucks, vans and SUVs that regularly haul or tow heavy loads. " My one ton PU regularly tows heavy loads. I've had bad luck with Cooper tires due to sidewall cracking and I'm looking for another brand. My Rubicon jeeps mt/r's have given me over 8 years of good sidewalls without cracking. My Ford truck is mostly driven on paved roads and gravel dry roads along with wet and snowy Utah roads.

I'm just wondering if the Goodyear Adventure or the Toyo HT would be the better AT tire. Any personal experience would be helpful.
Thanks
I think your two choices sound good. I'd also consider Hankook ATM or General Grabber AT2.

I think the Hankook ATM would be my preference. The Goodyear Adventure sounds good too.

IMO
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #489
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thanks
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #490
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I think your two choices sound good. I'd also consider Hankook ATM or General Grabber AT2.

I think the Hankook ATM would be my preference. The Goodyear Adventure sounds good too.

IMO
Just got back from local tire shop and I can't get 30x9.5 Grabber AT2s until mid-March and it was said with that guesstimate look in his eye. Called some online dealers and they confirmed. Mid-west blizzard = epic tire sales?

Anyway, think I'm back to the Hercules AT II as I can get them now for $24 less each than the Cooper AT3. Just wish I could get more reviews on the Hercs.

JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #491
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoody View Post
Just got back from local tire shop and I can't get 30x9.5 Grabber AT2s until mid-March and it was said with that guesstimate look in his eye. Called some online dealers and they confirmed. Mid-west blizzard = epic tire sales?

Anyway, think I'm back to the Hercules AT II as I can get them now for $24 less each than the Cooper AT3. Just wish I could get more reviews on the Hercs.

Tire Rack has Grabber AT2s for $115 + shipping

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....65&PID=5484387
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #492
JPGoody
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Tire Rack has Grabber AT2s for $115 + shipping

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....65&PID=5484387
Good lookin' out.

Yeah after taxes and $100+ shipping they sit at 139.75 a tire, not terrible and would be here early next week.

Hmmm, now to decide if I still want the grabber AT2 at ~$70+ out the door more than anticipated.
JPGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #493
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it was me, the Hercules AT2.

I have Cooper AT3 now. Next time I want Hercules AT2.
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #494
wadeholiday

thx

Great info,
Thanks Charley and others who have contributed.

As a new Jeep owner (2012 JKU), my car came from used from the land rover dealer with Falken Wild Peak AT's new on 4 corners, and a new Duratrac on the back, 265/70x17. I like the look of the size, and am getting 18 to 19mpg in dailiy driving, and am happy w/ that.

I was thinking of putting on Mich. x ice for the rest of winter, but winter is skipping lake tahoe so far this year, so I was thinking a winter biases AT.

this thread has me looking for the Nokian Rotiva AT to run year around.
If I can't get those, the Hankook ATM looks like an option, as well as michelin ltx AT2.

Discount tire has offered me 40 each for falken's w/ 2K miles, and the never used, but 2 yr old duratrac for 30. sound fair to you tire gurus?

Thanks again for the info.
wadeholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #495
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wade Holiday, I recommend Hankook ATM, Hercules AT2, or Nokian AT for you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.