Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one! - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Not your average "Who makes the best AT?" thread. This is an above average one!

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #376
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Despite the Duratrac being called a "commercial traction" tire, I'm finding it(internet info) to be more of what I'm looking for in a tire.
It seems to have good reviews for ride and all around traction, and a lot of people that came off BFGs, etc. have stated the Duratrac was better. So, whether it's an AT or other, people are liking it more than the predominant AT brands.
I'm seriously considering it as my next replacement.
SOME people prefer Duratrac more than best ATs. Some prefer the best ATs. It depends on what your priorities are.

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #377
fastfreddie

My bust. I'm usually careful about making lump statements.
fastfreddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #378
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There's a lot of talk on this forum about weak sidewalls on the Duratracs.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #379
fastfreddie

We have soft rocks in PA.
fastfreddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #380
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
There's a lot of talk on this forum about weak sidewalls on the Duratracs.
Some of that is just Internet Gorillas beating their chests to show how macho they (think) they are. Some is probably truth for those who do hard core rock crawling (which is very few Jeep owners).

It is rumored that 80% of info on Internet is baloney, and the other 20% is truth. You have to figure out what is true and which parts of the truth apply to your needs.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough? Tough enough for what?

For regularly rock crawling over sharp rocks that scrape sidewalls? I don't know if Duratrac is tough enough for that. Possibly not. I'm not a rock crawler. I do know there are several tires designed for rock crawlers such as Goodyear MTR-K, and others.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for occasional rock crawling? Probably, though it wasn't designed specifically for that.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for DD and ordinary off roading? Defineately yes. More than tough enough, IMO. It was designed to be a DD and all purpose tire, and it does that well.

Is Duratrac better on road than tires made for rock crawling? Duratrac is much better on road, IMO. It's lighter weight and softer riding (more comfortable) than tires made for rocks. Duratrac gets better gas mileage than heavier tires made for rocks. An AT would be even better on road and for gas mileage.

Whether Duratrac (or a good AT) is tough enough depends on your uses and needs. For the vast majority of Jeep owners Duratrac and the best ATs are more than tough enough for their DD and off road needs.

What tire is best for any person depends on their intended use(s) and priorities. For DD use Duratrac and ATs are best, IMO.
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:38 AM   #381
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There are threads about the best mud tires, and other threads about the best rock crawling tires.

This thread is intended to be about the best all purpose daily driver tires. It started out to be about ATs, but expanded to include certain hybrid tires, aka commercial traction tires, that are good for DD (Duratrac and Mastercraft CT).

If I had it to do over again, I might name this thread "Best DD tires". However, if I did that, there'd be a plethora of apes posting that narly mud tires or narly rock tires are the best DD tires and anything else is for manginas. How helpful would that be?
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #382
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

One AT that has been omitted is the Dick Cepek Fun Country II.

Does anyone have info about it?
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #383
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Some of that is just Internet Gorillas beating their chests to show how macho they (think) they are. Some is probably truth for those who do hard core rock crawling (which is very few Jeep owners).

It is rumored that 80% of info on Internet is baloney, and the other 20% is truth. You have to figure out what is true and which parts of the truth apply to your needs.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough? Tough enough for what?

For regularly rock crawling over sharp rocks that scrape sidewalls? I don't know if Duratrac is tough enough for that. Possibly not. I'm not a rock crawler. I do know there are several tires designed for rock crawlers such as Goodyear MTR-K, and others.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for occasional rock crawling? Probably, though it wasn't designed specifically for that.

Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for DD and ordinary off roading? Defineately yes. More than tough enough, IMO. It was designed to be a DD and all purpose tire, and it does that well.

Is Duratrac better on road than tires made for rock crawling? Duratrac is much better on road, IMO. It's lighter weight and softer riding (more comfortable) than tires made for rocks. Duratrac gets better gas mileage than heavier tires made for rocks. An AT would be even better on road and for gas mileage.

Whether Duratrac (or a good AT) is tough enough depends on your uses and needs. For the vast majority of Jeep owners Duratrac and the best ATs are more than tough enough for their DD and off road needs.

What tire is best for any person depends on their intended use(s) and priorities. For DD use Duratrac and ATs are best, IMO.
There are other scenarios besides rock crawling which require tough sidewalls, like hunting trails littered with fallen trees. Even if I never crawl any rocks, I want a tire with bullet proof sidewalls, preferably 3 ply. A Duratrac with Kevlar sidewalls is what I want, but instead of that, GY puts Kevlar in a new 2nd tier tire called the Adventure.
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #384
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There are other scenarios besides rock crawling which require tough sidewalls, like hunting trails littered with fallen trees. Even if I never crawl any rocks, I want a tire with bullet proof sidewalls, preferably 3 ply. A Duratrac with Kevlar sidewalls is what I want, but instead of that, GY puts Kevlar in a new 2nd tier tire called the Adventure.
Besides the GoodYear AT Adventure the GY SilentArmor has a layer of Kevlar and advertises a smooth, quiet highway commute. The Duratracs seem to have a following though.

I asked Discount tire yesterday what they recommended for an AT tire. Their 4 choices were: Pathfinder SAT, GY Wrangler Armortrac, Faulkin Rocky Mountain and Cooper Discoverer ATP. This is probability just an opinion due to their sales or sales quotas.

Quote:
One AT that has been omitted is the Dick Cepek Fun Country II.
Does anyone have info about it?
My friend with Dick Cepek Fun Country II's on his Toyota, told me while we were at Moab, that these tires were the best off road tires in Moab type terrain. I read other reviews that say they were the best tire when new and the worst tire after about 10K miles.

Last edited by jeepjamesw1; 11-19-2013 at 11:18 AM..
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #385
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamesw1 View Post
Besides the GoodYear AT Adventure the GY SilentArmor has a layer of Kevlar and advertises a smooth, quiet highway commute.
According to the GY website, the Kevlar is in the tread, not the sidewall, in the SilentArmor. Tirerack doesn't even mention Kevlar in it's description.

edit: On second glance, maybe the Adventure Kevlar is in the tread, and not the sidewall?
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #386
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I and my cousins drive on those terrains often for last 30 years using load C and D ATs and have never torn a sidewall. I don't know anyone who has. I use load C. Some of them use C. Some of them use D. Never a sidewall problem.

You want the impossible. You want a tire that is light weight, rides nice, gets good gas mileage, good on road, but also built like a tank for any conceivable abuse. That's not possible.

You have to prioritize. You can get your priorities, but can't have it all. Duratrac and some best ATs come as close as possible to having it all, but no tire is omnipotent. You have to choose which features are most important to you.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #387
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You want the impossible. You want a tire that is light weight, rides nice, gets good gas mileage, good on road, but also built like a tank for any conceivable abuse. That's not possible.
You're batting 2 for 5 on that one. With a 25 lb wheel on a rig with 2 Dana 44s and a winch, looking for a light weight tire, is like shopping for ballet shoes for a Rhino. Rides nice to me means round and balanced, not cushy. I already get 16.3 mpg with 71 lbs at each corner, and from what I read, that's pretty good - I really don't expect to get more.

A Duratrac with Kevlar sidewalls would give me a tire better in mud than the Grabber AT2, with stronger sidewalls, and the weight probably wouldn't be much, if any, heavier than the Grabber AT2 at 46 lbs. Seems very possible.
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #388
jeepjamesw1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree. We all want everything in one tire package, not possible or maybe just not practical. I just want something that is good for my needs and is currently available. Maybe a tire that won't get cracks in the sidewalls and of course it will have to out last the vehicle itself. The only replaceable item for a modern vehicle should be gas. We can only dream.

I guess Kevlar can be more flexible than steel (good ride) and is quite a strong material (bullet proof vests). But I'm sure other materials will be invented, in the future, that are even better.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing the Duratrac "C" (maybe Cooper AT3, or Toyo AT2) for my 05 Jeep Rubicon (265x75r16) and the Toyo Open Country HT w/Tuff Duty "E" for my 01 Ford F350, also in 265x75r16. Sorry, but neither tire is a true AT, but can be used on most terrain. It's all based on personal priorities and perceived use, daily driver use. I therefore believe this qualifies for this thread. This thread has been really helpful to me in making these choices. Thanks Charley3.

To bad one tire can't do double duty. But then, maybe I can swap spares???

Last edited by jeepjamesw1; 11-19-2013 at 10:24 PM..
jeepjamesw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #389
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

It'd be fine with me if Duratrac had Kevlar. I don't care one way or the other. I'm indifferent because I think Duratrac is fine as is, but adding Kevlar wouldn't hurt anything (except the price).

However, if you want a super tough multi-purpose hybrid tire with Kevlar, the MTR-K fits that description. However, it's heavier than Duratrac and probably more expensive. Due to more weight and stiffer ride, I don't consider the MTR a good daily driver tire. However, there are probably many who do (who don't care about gas mileage or comfort). To each his own.

But for my DD, I want quiet, good ride quality (soft enough ride), good enough gas mileage, good handling on road, good traction on wet and dry road, and Winter road; and then AFTER those top priorities I want it tough enough for typical off roading and reasonably good traction off road; but my first priorities for a DD tire are on road performance, comfort, and gas mileage.

Point being, I've figured out what things are most important to me, and then I choose tires that fits those priorities. I think a person has to prioritize because no tire is best at everything.
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #390
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You're batting 2 for 5 on that one. With a 25 lb wheel on a rig with 2 Dana 44s and a winch, looking for a light weight tire, is like shopping for ballet shoes for a Rhino.
That's because you have an LJ Rubicon (heavy Jeep with heavy Moab wheels).

That is exactly why I sold my LJ Rubicon and went back to XJs. With an XJ, I'm putting tennis shoes (lighter tires) on a lighter vehicle with light weight Ecco wheels.

But even with your Rhino/Hippo, why make it worse? Your philosophy is like a fat man (fat Jeep) saying f*** it, I'm not going to diet because I'm already so fat I may as well not worry about my weight.

Weren't you recently looking to save weight on wheels and tires? What happened to you? Your new philosophy about vehicle weight reminds of a fat guy who was going to diet, but then gave up and ate a donut shop.

Earlier you wanted to lose weight on wheels and tires. Now you seem to want to gain it, or justify gaining it.

I am a bit perplexed by your 180 degree change of attitude about weight, but it's your Jeep to do with as you please.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.