There's a lot of talk on this forum about weak sidewalls on the Duratracs.
Some of that is just Internet Gorillas beating their chests to show how macho they (think) they are. Some is probably truth for those who do hard core rock crawling (which is very few Jeep owners).
It is rumored that 80% of info on Internet is baloney, and the other 20% is truth. You have to figure out what is true and which parts of the truth apply to your needs.
Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough? Tough enough for what?
rock crawling over sharp rocks that scrape sidewalls? I don't know if Duratrac is tough enough for that. Possibly not. I'm not a rock crawler. I do know there are several tires designed for rock crawlers such as Goodyear MTR-K, and others.
Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for occasional
rock crawling? Probably, though it wasn't designed specifically for that.
Are Duratrac sidewalls tough enough for DD and ordinary off roading? Defineately yes. More than tough enough, IMO. It was designed to be a DD and all purpose tire, and it does that well.
Is Duratrac better on road than tires made for rock crawling? Duratrac is much better on road, IMO. It's lighter weight and softer riding (more comfortable) than tires made for rocks. Duratrac gets better gas mileage than heavier tires made for rocks. An AT would be even better on road and for gas mileage.
Whether Duratrac (or a good AT) is tough enough depends on your uses and needs. For the vast majority of Jeep owners Duratrac and the best ATs are more than tough enough for their DD and off road needs.
What tire is best for any person depends on their intended use(s) and priorities. For DD use Duratrac and ATs are best, IMO.